SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about a security camera system
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about a security camera system Login/Join 
posted
Anybody know about this one? ZOSI 8-Channel HD-TVI, on Amazon. My main concern is the quality of the recorded picture, and then, ease of installation.

Most likely, I'd mount most or all the cameras indoors.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M...em_apa_0HKKzbNMFJDET

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
If they're all going to be mounted indoors it shouldn't be much of an issue for picture quality, unless they'll be at the top of a wall in a room with a vaulted ceiling.

Those cameras that come in camera bundles generally don't have great quality if they're mounted a fair distance away from what they're supposed to be watching.

Posts: 6337 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
If you are truly concerned about the picture quality look at the camera specs (not just resolution).
Then ask "where are you mounting it?" and what would the "View" be from there?
What is the distance from the camera, what is the lighting like (at all times including night and shadows), is there a lot of motion?
For $139 for the set you can't expect to get the results of a quality IP or CCTV camera but you will see something so just test your conditions to see if it is adequate.
Just know lighting is a major factor.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Dunno, I'd rather do IP cams if it were me. It just seems like in 2017, IP cams are where it's at, and I'd rather run Cat5e as opposed to coax+power for the long term. How long are the runs from the cams to the box?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys! As for lighting, my main reason for mounting indoors is to keep a low profile and not let the neighbors think we have anything of value. The secondary benefit is that I want to aim them at entry ways -- the two doorways and two windows that could also be compromised, and they are always lit up, even when we're gone. The two windows are in less-well-lit areas (bedrooms) so I may have to leave lights on for the cameras to work at their optimum.

It looks like this system has upload capabilities, so we could store recent video off-site in case we get hit and they discover the recorder. We would delete when we return and review.

Radioman, I really don't know what you're suggesting. What are these IP cams and Cat5e that you are referring to? Big Grin

Maybe a link to some samples with very simple and basic explanations that I could understand would help. Technology is not my strong suit.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:

Radioman, I really don't know what you're suggesting. What are these IP cams and Cat5e that you are referring to? Big Grin

Maybe a link to some samples with very simple and basic explanations that I could understand would help. Technology is not my strong suit.

That's a problem. IP cams take some tinkering to set up the first time. If you are not into that sort of thing and don't know the difference between an IP address and anything else, then maybe the plug and go complete sets are indeed for you.

Only problem is there is a lot of crappy junk out there and it's easy to waste money on garbage. I've never heard of that brand from Amazon, which may or may not mean anything. It may be rebranded good stuff, or more likely, it may be junk.

When it comes to cameras, skip the High-Point, and buy a Glock, or at least a Ruger.

Look for Dahua or Hikvision as a minimum. (but these may be IP cams only -- not sure)

newer offerings from Amcrest is good quality stuff in general, but somewhat overpriced.

I bought one of these recently,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DaHua-...p2060353.m1438.l2649

but it is an IP cam, so it takes some tinkering to get it going.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
...Only problem is there is a lot of crappy junk out there...

The one I posted comes from Hong Kong, I noticed, so I'm not very enthusiastic about it after all. I'll keep looking, but in terms of what we can afford and what I want to accomplish, that one fits the bill.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

posted Hide Post
Both HIK and Dahua make HD analog setups. Direct cable (coax or cat5 or siamese can be used) from each camera to the DVR (including power/video in one cable), no IP networking or computer guru needed Big Grin

The current generation of HD-CVI (Dahua) and HD-TVI (HIK) rival all but the most exotic IP cameras now. Plug and play, reliable, and great image quality.

Posts: 2689 | Location: Orlando Area | Registered: February 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you recommend a link to a supplier?

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18