SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trolling Apple
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trolling Apple Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
Ok, I don't care what platform you like or use, you gotta love a good trolling by a competitor. Smile

https://m.gsmarena.com/huawei_...phones-amp-33388.php

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Aren’t all these Chinese phones spying on us

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Along with external SD, this has never been an issue for me and I never understood why such a big deal to some.

My phone lasts 1-2 days on a charge. Yes, it is used quite a bit during the day for calls, texting, web, email, etc. Am I some kind of enigma that is never consistently away from civilization and the modern comforts of life (like electricity) for days at a time?

My first computer had 4K of RAM and storage was a cassette tape. My first computer hard drive was 40MB.

What are people keeping on their phone that 64, 128, or 256gb isn’t enough?

Before I went to Apple, I had a Huawei Android phone. It was absolute shit, such as I would never have another of their products, even for free.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I consulted for Huawei in Africa....I will never work for them or buy their products.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
By-the-by, Apple's latest o/s update screwed by wife's phone up.

RMD

Also, my PRS shooting partner's phone. I got her's fixed, his, not yet.

<EDIT> Somehow I screwed the original post up trying to quote part of it. I blame coffee deficiency.

RMD

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rduckwor,

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

Have you gotten it un-scewed?

I do not trust updates to work properly every time. Not only on iPhone, but on just about anything that is software-driven, from any source or vendor. I spent too much time as a software developer, to be gullible enough to believe that "they" are going to get it right every time. If I were a Las Vegas bookie, I would bet that sooner or later, a software update will bite you in the ass.

Before I apply an update to anything, I make a backup.

For iOS devices, I use iTunes for the backup. Then, if the update process hangs (you really want to make sure that it is actually hanging, some steps take a long time and give the incorrect impression that the device is "frozen"), if it really hangs, I can always reset to factory original, then apply the update, and then restore apps and associated data from the backup. In all the years that my wife and I have been using iPhones, I have had to resort to this process only once.

The next step, if that does not work, is a trip to The Apple Store, where one of their "genius" people will get things straightened out.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ha Ha. Even though I don't like their handsets, it's funny to see them troll Apple.

I agree: It's an amusing troll, and I'm an Apple mobile devices owner.

But I can't imagine it'd win many converts. Maybe if a top-tier manufacturer did it, somebody like Samsung, LG, HTC, OnePlus or the like. Or Google, themselves. But Huawei?

quote:

iOS 12? I what way(s)? I'm wondering, because I'm sure they'll soon start pestering us to upgrade.

FWIW: I've been asking/looking around. So far your's is the first negative report on iOS 12 I've seen/heard. (If it's iOS 12 you mean.) In fact: All the others have been nothing short of glowing.

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I do not trust updates to work properly every time.

The only systems I ever had update properly, most times, were the Sun Sparc Solaris Unix boxen I used to administer. I think I only ever got screwed once, but, boy, it was a major one. (Directory services, which kinda sorta nearly screwed the entire network. Luckily I had a secondary directory services server, we had a hardware & software service contract and they had truly competent support personnel.)

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Before I apply an update to anything, I make a backup.

For iOS devices, I use iTunes for the backup.

I don't do updates on most things, any more. I do fresh installs from scratch--either on new hardware or on parallel drives. There's nothing non-recoverable on our one desktop or laptop.

Not sure how I'm going to deal with the new NAS.

For phones and tablets I have everything backed-up to one-or-another cloud service. Dropbox when I used Android. iCloud now.

I had a couple Android upgrades screw up my stuff, necessitating cache clears and factory resets. One of the 11.x iOS updates was causing both my wife's and my phones to run through battery like there's no tomorrow. Other than that I haven't had too much trouble with mobile devices updates/upgrades.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

What are people keeping on their phone that 64, 128, or 256gb isn’t enough?

Before I went to Apple, I had a Huawei Android phone. It was absolute shit, such as I would never have another of their products, even for free.

Pictures and apps. The more apps you have, the more memory you need.
The problem with Android for me was it doesn't treat the SD memory equal. Some apps wouldn't let me install any part of it on the SD.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually wait for a few weeks for updates,but this one allows you to use google maps in apple play for cars.

I backed up and took the chance, I never liked apple maps.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

Pictures and apps. The more apps you have, the more memory you need...

I get that, my phone has over 100 apps, over 1600 pictures, 4000+ songs, and a half dozen movies.

Less than 62gb used of 256gb.

I can see if phones were still coming out with 16 or 32gb it being an issue, but top tier phones offer as much as 512gb now making SD capability kind of a moot point.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
I get that, my phone has over 100 apps, over 1600 pictures, 4000+ songs, and a half dozen movies.

I appreciate this kind of data information.
After less than 3 months on my new S9+ android I'm wondering about 200 pictures, zero songs/zero movies, maybe 10 apps. Still making the step up from my charcoal burning iPhone 5 beginner phone. At least I'm starting to use some of the features I never touched previously. Still growing into the beastie.

I ran the cnet '10 first apps you should have' and actually use 3 or 4 of them.

Sometimes I feel like I'm sitting in the King's Electronic Buffet yet only sampling the most basic pot of gruel.....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

Pictures and apps. The more apps you have, the more memory you need...

I can see if phones were still coming out with 16 or 32gb it being an issue, but top tier phones offer as much as 512gb now making SD capability kind of a moot point.

Not at all moot. Expandable storage is one of those must haves for me. That's quite an upcharge you're paying there for that extra storage on your iPhone. I can add 400 extra gb's to my S9 for about $0.35 per gb. For you to go from the base 64gb to just 256 gb on your iPhone, you'll be paying over double that at nearly $0.80 per gb. And of course I have numerous options. I can spend less money now for the 64gb model and upgrade my storage later when I need it or have the dough.

You see, that's always been the one thing I despised about Apple...how they tell you "this is what you want, we know what's best for you, you don't need this or that." Well I want a headphone jack. I want an FM tuner in my phone. And for God's sake, I absolutely need expandable storage, because I also put nothing on the cloud.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
A lot of hate for Huawei early in this thread. Never owned any of their products until recently when I picked up their Honor 7X smartphone for $199. Came with Android 7 but has been updated to Android 8 (Oreo) over the air by Huawei. It's been extremely reliable and does everything I want save video calls. But for not having to pay $1k for the latest and greatest from other purveyors I can't and won't complain.

As for the spying bit, I still haven't seen any proof and wonder if that wasn't really a ruse started by the "big boys" to safeguard their US market from competition. That and the fact that the development of 5G technology for the US by a Chinese firm worried many about ChiCom interference.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16215 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Damn you guys, I wasn't trying to market for Huawei or dig at Apple. I just found the trolling of Apple customers humorous. And no it likely won't cause people to jump ship from Apple to Huawei, but I don't think that was ever the point. It was just a marketing ploy to grab some attention by the tech sector, and from what I've seen online, they were successful in that effort.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Not at all moot. Expandable storage is one of those must haves for me. That's quite an upcharge you're paying there for that extra storage on your iPhone. I can add 400 extra gb's to my S9 for about $0.35 per gb. For you to go from the base 64gb to just 256 gb on your iPhone, you'll be paying over double that at nearly $0.80 per gb. And of course I have numerous options. I can spend less money now for the 64gb model and upgrade my storage later when I need it or have the dough.

You see, that's always been the one thing I despised about Apple...how they tell you "this is what you want, we know what's best for you, you don't need this or that." Well I want a headphone jack. I want an FM tuner in my phone. And for God's sake, I absolutely need expandable storage, because I also put nothing on the cloud.

Excellent points. I use Snapple’s ecosystem but only because I got tired of windoze OS. But I’m no Snapple fanboy. I would use the C word to describe them but the forums software would flag it. Yeah they rob for storage and do lock their shit down. I have a quad core Mac mini that you could upgrade ram and hard drives on. $200 and you had a chinze Mac Pro for those of us who don’t want to spend thousands for a damn computer. Snapple got wise to it, quit selling it, and replaced it with a new version where everything was soldered so you were fucked, and forced to buy the ram and drive from them. It’s how they roll, and yes it sucks. These new phones of theirs are a laugh to boot. A grand to $1500 and you can’t even give the consumer a fast charger? Damn thing doesn’t even have an antenna for 5G LTE. If I’m gonna get robbed for a damn telephone for that kind of money I would at least want some solid hardware so I can make the thousand dollar device last a few years. Nope. They got a line of suckers who’ll buy one every single year no matter what they produce. There are a lot of these people who are finally getting it. I’m reading of many taking their new device back because it’s just not a step enough forward over their X. Even the hardest of fanboy is starting to get tired of their bullshit, but it’s half on the consumers. Then there are folks who are getting severe eye strain from the PWM Samsung uses for the OLED.

I find the phone phenomena mind boggling. It’s a consumer product but people from multiple sides will bitch about the other one, phone wars. I honestly think many of their lives would be for the better going back to a flip phone. All I see most people doing on their device, is fucking off. Tv shows, or movies (I’ve never watched either on a phone, screen is small and I want to watch that shit on a tv at least), social media apps (kill them all with fire), or watching you boob videos. And many of them, their entire life revolves around the thing. They have developed ADD and can’t put the thing down at work, the gym, a movie theater, dining, or even while piloting a 5000 lb vehicle down the highway at 75 mph. Shit is crazy. I have always used mine for comms, home automation stuff, camera, and a music player. If I’m stuck somewhere, like a dentist or doctor’s office, I like having a browser. But the majority of the phone and apps is a big nothing burger. A whole bunch of shit inevented and marketed to you, that you think you need, that are just time wasters. Whether it was angry birds or Snapple’s laughable emoji bullshit they are marketing on these new phones. Want to do stupid shit like taking a pic of yourself, and have it capture some of you but make it into an emoji, well you can do that now! All SnapCrap style! LMAO. Enjoy your extra big ass fries!!

I also have never used a cloud and never will. Why give a large corporation access to your shit?
Just not hard to backup/save. Kind of like the major social media apps and dating apps. They all sell your data off to the highest bidder. The minute you sign up they are mining and harvesting, and the few of their users that actually understand what they are doing, don’t care, and are happy to give away their lives for free.

I’m going the other way. Soon I’ll rip all my photos off mine and strip it down. I’m using it less now than I ever have. I realize it’s an addictive device and while very useful, has more negatives than positives today. I see what it’s doing to society and don’t care for it. I have to carry one for my work otherwise I’d buy a flip phone and iPod and be done with it. When I need to be productive I need a machine, laptop or desktop. And honestly the way these phone prices are going, hell aren’t going, we’re here already, I could buy a brand new laptop for what these phones cost. Put cellular on it for cheap and just store it in the car. Got damn things are already growing to the size of an iPad mini.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
A lot of hate for Huawei early in this thread. Never owned any of their products until recently when I picked up their Honor 7X smartphone for $199. Came with Android 7 but has been updated to Android 8 (Oreo) over the air by Huawei. It's been extremely reliable and does everything I want save video calls. But for not having to pay $1k for the latest and greatest from other purveyors I can't and won't complain.

As for the spying bit, I still haven't seen any proof and wonder if that wasn't really a ruse started by the "big boys" to safeguard their US market from competition. That and the fact that the development of 5G technology for the US by a Chinese firm worried many about ChiCom interference.

Worked for a telecom in the developing world for a bit.

Huawei is... interesting. Good luck with your phone.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

RMD

Also, my PRS shooting partner's phone. I got her's fixed, his, not yet.

RMD

I’m also curious what got screwed up, because I’ve seen nothing but positive reviews on iOS 12.

My personal experience for both my wife and I are great, on both our iPhones and iPads.

Posts: 684 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post