SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Type to me of Bait and switch Car Buying at Autonation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Type to me of Bait and switch Car Buying at Autonation Login/Join 
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted
OK I'm going to make this short as it was a bit of a saga. I was researching online for a car GMC Yukon or Cadillac Escalade.

I was researching Certified Pre-Owned only due to wanting a warranty.

I found 2 vehicles, 1 of each model, both GM cars and contacted the Caddy dealer. I did tell her about the GMC Yukon that I had found online as well.

She told me that the Yukon was being shipped to the Caddy Dealer from across town as they were both Autonation Dealers and come in and look at both cars.

I did that and decided to buy the Yukon.
Did the credit check, switch the insurance and was going through the purchase order and saw Dealer Warranty. The car was listed online as Certified Pre-owned. I said I want the CPO warranty paperwork.

Her response was we didn't offer the car as CPO we are offering it as used with our warranty. I pulled up the listing online which has certified pre-owned all over it.

Turns out only a Chevy or GMC dealer can sell a GMC CPO car. To say it nicely, I completely lost my fucking shit on her. The manager essentially said oh yeah, sorry we cant sell it as CPO only Chevy can who had the car before they had it shipped for me.

I then left and got a call from the manager at Chevy who offered to sell me the car as agreed to the first time. I told them to ship it to Chevy ASAP. I went to dinner and showed up at Chevy about 1.5 hours later. Asked for the manager who apologized etc, then I told him to take the car and shove it up his fanny and every other expletive I could think of in a blind rage.

I then drove 300 miles to a Cadillac dealer across the state and bought an Escalade, which I had to drive back to the Cadillac dealer I had started with to pull up to that sales lady and told her to go F herself and her Yukon.

So buyer beware, with autonation. Just because they have "open inventory" as their lawyer calls it means they will pull the warranty out of the deal if you switch manufacturers/dealers even though both are AN dealers.

I feel a little bit better now.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Was the caddy dealer offering the same GMPP warranty as the CPO?

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I then left and got a call from the manager at Chevy who offered to sell me the car as agreed to the first time. I told them to ship it to Chevy ASAP. I went to dinner and showed up at Chevy about 1.5 hours later. Asked for the manager who apologized etc, then I told him to take the car and shove it up his fanny and every other expletive I could think of in a blind rage.

so they did an about face to get you what you wanted at this point? I am confused because it sounds like they did and then you went all blind ragey on them anyway. I am probably just not following.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Tell us how you really feel.

Seriously, on that point as a certified pre-owned I would have stopped the deal. I don't know if I would have gone to the same lengths as you as far as letting them know you're mad at them.

Closest thing that happened was I was decided to buy a used car, I went to an Infiniti dealer, I liked a demo car they had, but they wanted to sell it to me close to a new car even though it was a model year old. I said for that price, I could go buy a new Lexus. Went to a Lexus dealer, contacted a salesman, told him what I wanted which he didn't have but he'll get it. Called a couple of days to schedule an appointment, the guy hemmed and hawed. I contacted other dealers with what I was looking for and bought the car in short order.

After I bought the car, the Inifiniti and the Lexus salesman called me up to see if I was interested. I let them know they lost a sale as I already bought a new car.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
wow, that sounds like you need to relax a bit.
Your anger seem's way over the top. I mean it is a used rig for God's sake. A GM of all things. Geez brother. You need to see somebody or maybe get some Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
You sure showed them.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Have to agree the response at least to the manager at the Chevy dealer seems over the top, who opts to have a car shipped, goes to dinner for an hour and a half just to go into a business and tell them to F-off.

Then buys a car elsewhere and brings it by to gloat. That makes you the jerk in the deal, so the warranty changed because they moved the point, and AN agreed to your terms, moved it back and you take the Chevy managers head off?

For what, he did what you asked, priced it, transferred it and accommodated your request.

JMO the Chevy manager is due an apology,

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Was the caddy dealer offering the same GMPP warranty as the CPO?

Im curious to find out as well.

OP actions sound a little over the top.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your beef is with Autonation CADDY dealer. They cannot sell a CPO car.

But quite honestly, you're a jerk for telling the chevy dealer that agreed to honor the very same deal and price on the Yukon, and you agreed to purchase it and to have them have the vehicle shipped back. It is not the chevy dealers fault for autonation Cadillac dealer misleading you. You simply agreed to buy the vehicle, cost them money to ship it back, and renigged on your word. That is wrong. How is the Chevy dealer responsible for what Autonation Cadillac dealer did to you???? Just because they are owned by the same company, they are run as individual businesses.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a ridiculous amount of drama. You might want to relax before you have a blow out.

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by isthatasiginyourpocket:
You sure showed them.

LOL. Yes, I'm sure they've learned their lesson and will never do that again. All it took was coming up against a shrewd, well spoken car buyer.... Big Grin Big Grin

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3479 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redwood25:
quote:
You sure showed them.

LOL. Yes, I'm sure they've learned their lesson and will never do that again. All it took was coming up against a shrewd, well spoken car buyer.... Big Grin Big Grin

This is partially why car dealers act the way they do. Back in 2002 I worked for a Lincoln Mercury dealership for about 6 months. This couple came in looking at the brand new model 2003 Navigator. I got them a very good price on a new model at the time. They agreed to come back on Thursday (my only day off for the entire week) at 11am and take delivery of it. I come in on my only day off and wait.....and wait.....I call them around 11:45am and they tell me they're running late and will be there in 30 minutes or so......I wait till 1pm, I call them, they're at a Lincoln mercury dealer ship an hour away and just bought one.....I asked what the price was...... $50 less!!!!!!!!!!!!!! off of the total price!!!!!!!! They ruined my only day off and jerked me around for over 3 hours to save $50. I would've given them the $50 out of my wallet, had I known!!!!!!!!!!

Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
From the sounds of it a stroke or heart attack is coming soon.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well, I got a good laugh out of the whole affair.

Seriously, I'm supposed to feel sorry for some manager at a car dealership? Nyet.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Well, I got a good laugh out of the whole affair.

Seriously, I'm supposed to feel sorry for some manager at a car dealership? Nyet.

Yes, they're just doing a job and trying to make a living to feed their families just like everyone else.

The blame goes to both parties as to why car buying experiences go the way they go. Customers play as many if not more games, than the salesman and dealership employees play themselves. Put yourself in their shoes. If you were selling your car, would you let every Tom, Dick, and Harry, test drive it, beat on it, try to buy it only to find out they have no credit or have no intentions of buying it in the first place. SPend your time waiting on someone to come back for hours that never shows up. Waste your time and money keeping it detailed, insured, and gas in it? Customers show a ton of disrespect, many of them, totally lie about their intentions, and on and on.

posted Hide Post
Flew to Florida to find a rust free car for our daughter, the night before, we made a list of our choices, first to last. Next day, the first 3 dealerships did not have the cars they advertised the night before, or anything comparable Mad

Luckily we found a beautiful 2014 Civic Ex with only 13k on it. We have 19K on our 2017 Challenger Eek

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your CUT might have merit.

Posts: 8957 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You sure showed them.

No shit. They tried something, you called them on it, then you rubbed their nose in it.

Grow the fuck up.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope you don't carry a gun. You've got problems, dude.

What functioning adult reacts that way after being out nothing but their time? It's not like you bought the car and got it home and realized you were screwed, only to be told you were SOL. You went out of your way to demean, humiliate, and harass people, and then came to the internet to brag about it.

Somethin' ain't right.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 813 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:
quote:

so they did an about face to get you what you wanted at this point? I am confused because it sounds like they did and then you went all blind ragey on them anyway. I am probably just not following.
The OP lost me at this part of the story. Either he wrote it poorly (e.g. left out the part that the Chevy wasn't there after 1.5 hours) or he wrote it correctly and is a horse's ass.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23259 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post