SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Deer Hunters: Check in here
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer Hunters: Check in here Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted
Deer Hunters: Check in here

I got my deer this morning... how about you?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24107 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Details?

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Details?

I've been hunting with my buddy for many years. He has 105 acres in far-west St. Louis County. He built a massive deer stand on 4 telephone polls, which easily seats 3 people and all our gear. You can actually see it on the satellite photos of his property. We sit in there and shoot the breeze, not really too worried about whether the deer come or not.

This morning I drove out there, meeting him at 5:30, just before sun up. We climbed into the deer stand and sat there talking about life, in whispers, but still talking. About 7 am, the deer came into the big, beautiful field. He has rules against shooting bucks unless it's big enough to pay a taxidermist and to put it on the wall. That means 10 points or bigger. So when 3 does came into view, about 250-300 yards but headed our way, I just waited. Actually, I was hoping that trophy buck would follow them into the field. When that didn't happen, and they wandered closer, I picked out the largest doe and shot just behind the front shoulder. It didn't even take a step; it dropped immediately.

We then climbed down out of the stand, walked back to the house, got my Tahoe and hoisted that deer in the back. I went to another part of the property to field dress it because we didn't want the guts left where we hunt. I then took it to a deer processor, and my buddy went back into the deer stand hoping the big buck wasn't too far off by now....

It was a great morning.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24107 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Just the way I like to hunt. Sit, snipe, cut.

He has rules against shooting bucks unless it's big enough to pay a taxidermist and to put it on the wall.
This is the opposite of the way most folks manage a deer herd but to each his own. Take a buck, 1 deer gone. Take a doe and it's 2 or 3 deer gone.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats. I saw one doe yesterday while in my stand. Annnnnnd a second at the corner of my driveway coming in at dark........ typical lol.

Wife took a video of a nice buck Friday night in our field. Haven’t seen him yet. Posting from my stand right now as a matter of fact....

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
He has rules against shooting bucks unless it's big enough to pay a taxidermist and to put it on the wall.
This is the opposite of the way most folks manage a deer herd but to each his own. Take a buck, 1 deer gone. Take a doe and it's 2 or 3 deer gone.

Believe me... we need 2 or 3 deer gone.
West St. Louis County has at least one deer to hit every car. Wink

-rduckwor

I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Believe me... we need 2 or 3 deer gone.

I hear ya...and people say rabbits breed a lot. At least they don't ruin your car.

Family member has property that used to have 5 tags available per hunter. Then the state did a herd count and decided that it should be lottery drawing for 1 tag and landowner gets 1 tag extra. Meanwhile hit deer litter the drainage ditches and everyone has to get vehicle repairs.

Across the 2 lane no divider highway, it's still buy multiple tags over the counter, plenty of deer that need culling. Apparently deer NEVER cross the highway. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
No, season starts next week. Answer will probably be "no" then too. Big Grin

I haven't SEEN a deer while deer hunting in 4 years.

The great irony is I saw more deer at work last Friday while sitting in my car eating lunch, than I have in the last ten plus hunting seasons. Roll Eyes
Lots down here, few up there.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Congrats chellim! Looks like a fine hunt and some great camaraderie, not to mention the high quality meat for the freezer. Time well spent!

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
Got back Friday from my mule deer hunt near Benson, AZ. I saw a grand total of 0 deer. Put 60 miles on the atv. It was a great week to enjoy the desert.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Garret Blaine
posted Hide Post
I’m on day 12 of a 14 day hunting vacation... bow hunting in IL. Nothing killed yet but that isn’t really a surprise. I only fill a buck tag, on average, every couple two or three years. I have had some good hunts but it has mostly been slow. 2 more days then it is back to weekends only for the rest of the year.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 335 | Location: Buffalo, WY | Registered: June 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I got my first deer with a crossbow about 3 weeks ago. I’m hunting state land in the northern lower peninsula of Michigan. My family has been hunting the same area since about 1948. The deer herd up there seems to be making a bit of a comeback. I’m leaving Wednesday to go back up for the start of gun season, which opens Thursday.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
First time out this morning, very wet and since it was they have not cut the hay at the lease. Some of it is 5' tall so at 300m (farthest angle) I would just be able to see a buck and possible miss a doe. I did not see any deer but kicked up a hog during my mid morning recce....and missed it at 30'....bastard was faster than I was.

We have a couple bucks...a 4, 8 and we think a 10 pt. The 4 pt has my name on it since it was not big enough last year (borderline 12-13") and knew it....walked basically 150 degrees in front of the blind last year...very slowly showing broadside all the way Roll Eyes

This upcoming weekend is antler less so we will be out for at least one day maybe 2.

I love watching and listening to the woods come alive just before sunrise.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took mine on my first hunt of the year 10-6 archery season.

"You can take your pistol and stick it so far up your ass, the muzzle of it is visible when you cough."

Posts: 1248 | Registered: February 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigforall:
I took mine on my first hunt of the year 10-6 archery season.

That is one SWEET deer! Nice job!

-rduckwor

posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your deer! This was my 1st year hunting and I got a doe earlier in the season with my bow. Still working on filling my buck tag though.

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Many fine meals will come from that one I am sure.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
I've shot a hog and a buck. i need to get retrained on posting pics Frown

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’m off to central IL on Thursday, a friend has a lease there. I’ll check the zero on my Knight M-L tomorrow or Tuesday.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
I'm 0 for the season so far. My family is definitely on the board though as my younger brother dropped a nice 8 opening morning, my youngest brother with a 10 opening evening and my mother with a 10 this past Monday. Younger brother and mom's deer both came on family property, youngest brother's came off of a lease.

I was in my stand this past Friday evening and caught a look at a mountain lion so my goals have shifted as I was on the family property, which my parents live on. Basically as much as I'd like to take a deer, I'd rather drop that SOB but it'll have to give me more than a 2-3 second look as it did a couple of evenings ago.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post