SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The "Previous Employer" Dream
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The "Previous Employer" Dream Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
Posting in the JC Penney thread reminded me of something.

Periodically I'll have a dream, usually it is the one I wake up from in the morning, regarding working at JC Penney. Usually it involves going back to my hometown, and shortly after I get there the house phone rings. Its for me and it is a Manager from Penney's telling me that I'm on the schedule for tonight and tomorrow and not to be late today. Then its a mad hustle to get ready, go in, and find I'm on a work schedule for the week when I haven't worked there in 20 years. Managers are having no part of me having a "real job" get out on the floor and get to work.

Of course all of my old co-workers are there, basically in the same boat wondering "What the hell". Usually about there is where my alarm goes off or I wake up

Anyone else have a dream like that on a regular basis?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not an uncommon dream. Was it accompanied by anxiety? The dream has a message somewhere. Share it with someone who knows you well and see what they think.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Not just one, but several jobs. Typical, mundane stuff I used to work.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I have a similar dream of my first college.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I have a similar dream of my first college.

Does this one have anything to do with getting your Final exam schedule and realizing there is a class on the list that some how you skipped the entire semester, and now have to show up and take the final?

343 - Never Forget

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Not an uncommon dream. Was it accompanied by anxiety? The dream has a message somewhere. Share it with someone who knows you well and see what they think.

Anxiety, I'd say no. Definite anoyance at how they found and scheduled me, and some bewilderment at how my former co-workers ended up in the same situation.

343 - Never Forget

posted Hide Post
quote:
Anxiety, I'd say no. Definite anoyance at how they found and scheduled me, and some bewilderment at how my former co-workers ended up in the same situation.

Next best guess is that it has to do with unresolved issues regarding your hometown and your job.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
i used to have those dreams about picking blackberries and pulling tobacco all day. Did those a lot of years for money my father kept as a kid.

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Does this one have anything to do with getting your Final exam schedule and realizing there is a class on the list that some how you skipped the entire semester, and now have to show up and take the final?

Weird. I have exactly the same dream. I have also been having a dream about a girl, the same girl, since I was 7 or so. We meet up in dreams every other year or so. Same place at my grandmas. We both age, and we both remember the last dream. It's really neat, but strange.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yup. Two or three times a year. Damn, I hate that one.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I paid my way through college in the early 80s waiting tables, and I still occasionally have dreams about being behind the curve in a dinner rush, not able to keep up.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:

Holy shit, same here regarding the dream content and occurrence rate. It really pisses me off when it happens.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
quote:
quote:

Holy shit, same here regarding the dream content and occurrence rate. It really pisses me off when it happens.

This one, I have also had! Very weird.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
quote:
quote:

-Rob

Me too! It's stressful enough of a dream that I've thought about posting here.

For me, it's highschool. First is the struggle to find the right classroom, with no recollection of which classes I'm taking, then it's the exam that for the class I haven't been to all semester.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

For me, it's highschool. First is the struggle to find the right classroom, with no recollection of which classes I'm taking, then it's the exam that for the class I haven't been to all semester.
This is really interesting. Four people have posted that they have had the same dream. I don't know about Dakor, but the other three people are all lawyers. Three out of four. Maybe four out of four (Dakor?).

Coincidence? I don't think so.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I have a similar one where I wake up (in the dream) and it occurs to me I never finished high school, turns out I failed 12th grade English.

I think it has to do with the fact that I hated English in school and I never actually picked up a diploma after graduation.

I've sent transcripts showing I never failed a class to several places but I still have the dream and wake up a little unsure as to whether it was real or not

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6256 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
This is really interesting. Four people have posted that they have had the same dream. I don't know about Dakor, but the other three people are all lawyers. Three out of four. Maybe four out of four (Dakor?).

I have it as well but I'm not a lawyer.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
I have a similar one where I wake up (in the dream) and it occurs to me I never finished high school, turns out I failed 12th grade English.

I think it has to do with the fact that I hated English in school and I never actually picked up a diploma after graduation.

I've sent transcripts showing I never failed a class to several places but I still have the dream and wake up a little unsure as to whether it was real or not

A recurring dream for me, though not in a long while, is like you, I found out that I did not graduate high school and have to go back to school for a short while. And in the dream, I am always thinking, but I have Masters degree...this is ridiculous!

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have that one occasionally. Usually, it's a math or geography class. (Not a lawyer)

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Yep, I have dreams about former jobs a few times per year. They are all from my teenage years - about 21 or so...so about 1987 - 1995. Dunkin Donuts, A gas station/service station and a machine shop.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post