SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for those who wear suits: socks and undershirts
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for those who wear suits: socks and undershirts Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't wear undershirts too often - it is really hot here - but I prefer the classic wife beater.

Wool socks, it is more comfortable. Tall ones. No leg skin should show.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Kirkland undershirts. Great quality.

I also prefer their dress shirts. They aren’t the cheapest option, but they are nice and not that expensive.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Costco for undershirts. IMHO they are the best. I think the brand name is Kirkland
Yeah, the quality is certainly there in terms of material and workmanship, but Costco caters to midgets. I have never seen a tall size there -- you know, tall, as in for us normal people. Wink

Yes, or as I refer to it Adult Size.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5148 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Costco for undershirts. IMHO they are the best. I think the brand name is Kirkland
Yeah, the quality is certainly there in terms of material and workmanship, but Costco caters to midgets. I have never seen a tall size there -- you know, tall, as in for us normal people. Wink

Yes, or as I refer to it Adult Size.

You can get dress shirts for tall and big sizes online at COSTCO.com. They are my go to for dress shirts, socks and underwear. The online choices are also better than what is available at the stores.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I find Costco undershirts to be way too heavy for warm climates.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Brand of dress socks is up to you. I prefer over the calf for comfort and the fact that they stay up much better. I've bought less expensive socks before and they don't seem to last well, especially after multiple washings. I find more expensive ones last longer and look much better.

"Convention" for "dress slacks" or suits is that socks normally match the color of the pants. Dark blue with dark blue, grey with grey, camel with camel, etc. Certainly not a "requirement" but generally well-accepted. Socks with patterns are also now more popular than solid colors.

Agree with V-neck white tee shirts so they're not visible if collar is unbuttoned. I wear JC Penney tee shirts and they are not pricey and work just fine.

Posts: 1986 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless you have the sasquatch thing going, a V neck is the way to go, if you don't wear a tie. A crew neck is acceptable these days, but be sure it's not frayed or bacon necked.

I prefer the Gildan V neck tees, because the collars are not as low cut as Hanes, FOTL, and other common brands. This eliminates the issue of a V neck showing under a white dress shirt around a tie. Gildans are also heavier material, which I prefer.

"Wife beaters" usually show through a light colored dress shirt and look God-awful, in my opinion - though anything is better than hair, moles, nipples and all the other stuff that I and the rest of the planet doesn't want to have to see.

Posts: 630 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Tommy John crew neck undershirts, Bombas dress socks. I've got a long back, and TJ undershirts stay tucked in and don't creep up. Not cheap, but can be found on sale 2-3X a year. Buy one, try it and come back and tell me it isn't the best undershirt you've ever worn.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I've swapped over to Under Armour type undershirts, though the less compressive type.

Socks: I love Happy Socks. A little more "interesting" patterns, but great quality. Also gives us guys something with which to get a little creative vs. being so bland.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Interesting comments here.

No worries about hairy chests. I'm Asian... Big Grin

I think I'll stay with Gold Toe socks. I'm on their e-mail list and I receive online coupons frequently.

I do not have a Costco membership so I'll have to ask around to see who can take me.

Posts: 13093 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
Kenneth Cole Reaction v-neck t-shirts. I bought them at Sam's. They fit like an Under Armour shirt, but the fabric is very light and very soft. They don't get warm like heavier shirts.

Nautica socks (also from Sam's) Hold up very well. Don't shrink and so far haven't stretched out.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4786 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
What color undershirt should I wear for white dress shirt? I'm reading that a white undershirt isn't a good color because it will show too much.

Posts: 13093 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Jobst/Sigvaris Graduated compression "Travel"hosiery enhances lower extremity circulation sitting Car Plane office and walking. Cost$ but once you wear them, you'll never buy another sock.
No prescription needed for the Travel compressions.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Dapper Classics for socks. They are made in America and very high quality from my experience over the last six months.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
No more suits for me but before I retired I wore one everyday.

I never wore tee shirts. Sock were thin, wool and to the knee. Bad form to show some leg. Big Grin

Shirts were always 100% cotton, suits always 100% worsted, summer weigh wool.

Posts: 12917 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
What color undershirt should I wear for white dress shirt? I'm reading that a white undershirt isn't a good color because it will show too much.

Always white, no matter what color the shirt is...in my opinion.

Posts: 12917 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post