SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for those who wear suits: socks and undershirts
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for those who wear suits: socks and undershirts Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
I'll start off with the socks. Have any preferred brands? What should I look for in a dress sock? For my everyday socks, I prefer Gold Toe. My first instinct is to try their dress socks.

How about undershirts? I'm reading that white undershirts in dress clothes are NOT the way to go. Seems one thing that's a must is a V neck so if I leave the top bottom undone, the undershirt will not show.

Did a Google and came up with these but they seem pricey:

https://ribbedtee.com/store/pr...y-v-neck-undershirt/

Any suggestions on undershirt brands, cuts and colors?

I'm challenged when it comes to fashion.

Posts: 13092 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of gold toe dress socks, they have held up pretty well. I think i bought a pack at costco or somewhere.

Posts: 378 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I like a regular Hanes t shirt. I think people would rather see a t shirt than chest hair creeping out.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I wear suits for work. I buy whatever socks look good when I need socks, not really brand aware as far as socks go. For an undershirt I prefer a crew neck. If the dress shirt is unbuttoned at the top, showing a finished neckline of a white shirt is preferable to showing skin/chest hair in a professional setting. Any color other than white for an undershirt is a no for me.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I’ve worn gold toe socks since I sold them working at a mens store in high school. Still have a small cache of them even though I only dress for funerals and weddings these days.

Very comfortable, relatively long wearing. I have no idea what they cost these days, but the comfort makes it worth it within reason.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Gold toe last well and UA heat gear vneck, maybe Duluth naked vneck since the QA on UA seems to have gone down.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of Duluth Buck Naked Undershirts. They make both v-neck and crew neck. I use v-neck under a polo shirt at work, but then I don't have any chest hair creeping up that high and I do shave my neck.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Gold toe socks are good or whatever they have on sale at TJ Maxx, usually Ralph Lauren. As for undershirts, I wear Stafford or Hanes, but get tall so they stay tucked under the dress shirts. Stafford makes an extra tall with a deeper V neck that is my favorite.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
I went with tank tops for under shirts whenever possible, since I liked to have the top two buttons undone.
If chest hair is an issue though I think a white t-shirt is best.

Can't help much with socks, sorry.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
You know this whole discussion on socks and underwear is rather informative but it just creeps me out knowing what you wear or that you have creeping chest hair.

I feel rather filthy.

Posts: 4075 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Costco for undershirts. IMHO they are the best. I think the brand name is Kirkland

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Costco for undershirts. IMHO they are the best. I think the brand name is Kirkland
Yeah, the quality is certainly there in terms of material and workmanship, but Costco caters to midgets. I have never seen a tall size there -- you know, tall, as in for us normal people. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Costco dress socks are great as well actually. I've switched my entire collection to them.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Thread drift: I bought a pair of Kirkland jeans at Costco over the weekend. They're made in China now. And the cut and quality are very disappointing. They're going back to Costco.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Yeah, the quality is certainly there in terms of material and workmanship, but Costco caters to midgets. I have never seen a tall size there -- you know, tall, as in for us normal people. Wink

FWIW, I normally bought XL in other brands but had to go to Large in the Costco shirts. The tails are also longer which I really like.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
A round neck t-shirt for me, since I wear a tie when I wear a suit. I don't want the v-neck showing through. A classy dress shirt (Peter Millar, Charles Tyrwhitt, Paul Frederick, etc.) will likely not reveal the undershirt, anyway.

As for socks, Gold Toe are my preferred brand, but lately I've taken to WeciBor socks (available on Amazon). I like the colors, patterns and fit.

Yes, since most men's suits are pretty blasé, I like spiffing them up with nice ties and colorful socks! Smile

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I always wear a crew neck white t shirt under a dress shirt. A V-Neck shows through a white shirt and looks odd. If you are prone to sweaty pits, a Thomson Tee is a great choice. They really do work. Otherwise, there is no need to go nuts worrying about brands. They differ slightly in fit, so just find the one you like. Hanes, Fruit of the Loom, Gildan, Costco, etc. All good and cheap. Just depends on the particular fit you like.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I wear thinner Gold Toe socks - they last longer and do not stretch out.

I also wear plain white crew neck undershirts. My tie is never more than slightly loosened, so the undershirts barely shows. If a v-neck was opened far enough to notice, it would reveal that I am part wookie.

For undershirts, I've worn Costco ones (very nice cotton), Haynes and FOL. I can't do the Sam's Members Mark ones though - way too heavy of t-shirt fabric.

I can't do the tank type shirts. The t-shirts eventually turn to rags due to deodorant stains. I'd rather that be on a t-shirt than a dress shirt.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

FWIW, I normally bought XL in other brands but had to go to Large in the Costco shirts. The tails are also longer which I really like.

I really like Kirkland under shirts also. They are great quality and have a longer than average tail so they stay tucked in. I'm 5'10" and 185#.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gold toe socks & wife beater white undershirts.
They look better under a starched white shirt.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post