SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does most of society really go out of their way to avoid interacting with someone who clearly needs a little assistance?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does most of society really go out of their way to avoid interacting with someone who clearly needs a little assistance? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hide Post
In a busy parking lot, I'd have no problem helping. On the side of a country road, no way in heck.

I grew up in a large city and you did not help anyone in that predicament for fear of robbery or worse. Later in life, I worked in rural Appalachia, think Deliverance days, and was helped numerous times when my car broke down on some of those mountain roads. When I lived in rural Wisconsin you always stopped to help unless they had Illinois tags. {ha ha}

Psychological studies generally suggest you are more likely to get help from a stranger when there is no one else around. In a crowd the thinking is that someone else will take care of it.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last summer my nephew and and were driving through a parking lot after a big event and noticed a car with a hood up and an older lady inside. We asked her if she needed help and she said yes. We got her car started and she started crying. She said her phone was dead and she was been trying to get someone to help for 2 hours with no luck till we came. I have no way to verify that she was there that long but also have no reason not to believe her story.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I remember stopping twice by the freeway to help a stranded motorist. One was an older gentleman trying to fix a flat tire. The other was someone trying to secure a wheelchair in the back of their trunk. A highway patrol shooed me away after he came up on us.

I say this to point out I don't mind helping people. But I'm not going to help someone who says they need a jump in the parking lot of a mall. Just too many things that can go sideways for me in my mind. it's one of those cost/benefit things.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

... When I lived in rural Wisconsin you always stopped to help unless they had Illinois tags. {ha ha} ...

Ha Ha. Smile

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

... When I lived in rural Wisconsin you always stopped to help unless they had Illinois tags. {ha ha} ...

Ha Ha. Smile

From where I sit, that makes eminent good sense!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I won't hand someone cash, but I'll do my best to help people out. last time was a few months ago guy with a pregnant wife and 2 kids needed gas to get home to St George, he didn't want cash he wanted fuel so I filled his tank. seemed like a lot of effort to scam 30 bucks.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
The first thought that came to my mind in the situation as described was folks leaving that spot open for the roadside assistance who are often on their way. Most folks don't carry jumper cables and wouldn't know how to hook them up correctly if they had them. If they can't help, perhaps they are helping by staying out of the way.

I'll generally stop and ask if folks need help. When I was younger and drove the kind of junk I could afford then I got stuck once or twice and quite appreciated the help strangers gave. It only seems right to pay it forward. I do pay attention to the hairs on the back of my neck though, and there are times when it just doesn't feel prudent.

As far as new cars not responding well to jumping or being jumped, many of them are rolling computers these days. Depending on how well they are designed, condition of the wiring, and how carefully and correctly the cables are hooked up and removed, bad things can happen to expensive electronic parts.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last time I gave somebody a jump was a few years ago in the commute train parking lot. A young 20 something lady had left her lights on her mid 80s FJ65 landcruiser all day. Probly her folks' hand me down. Anyway I had seen this same FJ in the lot daily for weeks so I know she's a commuter. I was parked a few stalls away and asked her if she needs a jump.... duh. Well it was a conversation starter. Got her fired up and recommended she run up and down the freeway a few miles and charge that battery and then test it again when she gets home and change it if necessary and if not taking a charge to have a pro check the alternator... she looked at me like I had 3 eyes. But said thanks and drove off.

I'm not especially nervous about helping folks out like that.

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

There’s just no stopping the march of progress, is there? Roll Eyes

All this reliability and better mileage we get now, comes at the cost of complication and astronomical prices. I still miss the 1974 Fiat I paid $3,100 for, brand new, and I could jump start my neighbor's car in the winter with it. Of course, the Fiat was the most fun-to-drive car I ever owned, and I had a real pretty and friendly neighbor! Cool

One of them X9's?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
quote:
I think the owner's manual for my Chevy warns against hooking my car to another for a jump start, saying there's a possibility of damage to my electrical system. I'll have to look.

This. My BMW says don't jump start.

There’s just no stopping the march of progress, is there? Roll Eyes

Excellent Sir! I suspect it was only the US version of the manual that stated this.

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I went to pick up my wife's prescription yesterday. Normally I just hit the drive thru because this particular establishment is in a shopping center with quite possibly the worst parking lot/situation in the county! It is far too small, so it is always packed, it has angled parking with 1 one aisles (that just barely fit the width of 1 vehicle), you can't tell just by looking down the aisles if there are open spots so you have to drive up and down every aisle if you want a spot. The lot is always packed so it is unlikely you will find a spot on the first aisle you pick.
So if you don't get the picture this lot sucks and I avoid it like the plague.

But anyway I decided to run inside and get my 2 oldest boys some sort of treat while grabbing my wife's prescription as the 2 little dudes have been so awesome with their new baby bro since he arrived home Friday.

I finally see an open spot and notice the SUV next to the spot had it's hood up and the hatch open with a fella sitting in the back looking glum. So I pull in the spot and ask if he needs a jump or anything. Says sure do already had the cables out and ready to ask whoever pulled in the spot. Even if he was not ready I carry a jumpbox and cables so it would have been all good.
Jumped him with no issue. He thanked me kindly and said he had been waiting 20 MINUTES for someone to pull in that spot but no one ever did.

There is no way with as busy as that lot was no one tried to park there in 20 minutes. I see no reason for the dude to lie about how long he was waiting.
Only thing I can figure is people saw the hood up and skipped the spot not to have to interact with the fella.

My answer to your title question is that 80% of the people have no clue on how to respond because they have no moral base to stand on, read above; "the manual says", "BMW says", etc.

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
quote:
...I still miss the 1974 Fiat I paid $3,100 for, brand new...

One of them X9's?

Nope. 124TC Sedan. Mine was red.

A friend shot some Super 8 of a Pinto trying to follow me through Turn 5 at Road America in a Showroom Stock race, and sliding straight into the runoff area. Not only did it handle, it was so tall that I could always find it in a parking lot! Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a broken leg in a cast so my wife was driving me to work one morning. We were heading down I5 to Portland OR which is a busy commute. She is driving and I see a car swerve, then start to roll and eventually flip into a ditch. "Holy shit" I tell my wife to pull over and by the time we stop we are 300 yards up the road. I waited for what felt like forever (probably 1 minute or less) and no one else pulled over! I couldn't beleive it! So I go into a full sprint on crutches 300 yards, drop the crutches and headed into the ditch to see if the guy was ok. He seamed like he was going to live and was trying to get out of the car so I helped as best I could. My wife stayed in the car calling 911. When help arrived I explained no one else stopped to help so I went in the ditch with a cast on. The firemans reply " almost no one stops for stuff like this. Most of the time we are the first to arrive".

Posts: 548 | Location: washington state. | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have avoided parking next to the vehicle also. Not because im unwilling to help but simply to be out of the way. If a tow truck would show or a few buddies with tools, I dont want my vehicle anywhere close.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Every once in a while, we get to wait 20 minutes for someone to come along and help. If people would stop harming others with theft and danger, they'd be more inclined to stop and help.

You know, I read this and agreed, and then thought of something. I'm middle aged now, but crime rates were much worse when I was younger. All crime rates have fallen significantly since the 70's and 80's. So why are people reluctant to help each other? Back then (before cell phones), you could go to someones door and ask to use the phone to call for help if your vehicle broke down.

Property Crime:

Violent Crime:

Murders:

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Depends on the situation - anyone who looks like a law abiding citizen and needs the assistance, sure, it could have been you who needed the jump. If it's in a dicey part of town, probably not, unless it was someone else like me, old white man, or anyone else not welcome is the neighborhood, then I would be thinking of getting them the hell out of there asap just like I would be thinking if I was the person broken down. If it was really too dicey, I'd call the police and ask them for their presence while I did the work, but I doubt they would come. In the past when I've called, police don't respond unless crime is in progress or about to break out.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8682 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I don't even now where the battery is on my current car

Posts: 5738 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crime rate statistics have been politically massaged to look like they have been going down. Perception is otherwise

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
When a significant portion of the membership here is evidently afraid to let their grown children walk the streets by themselves, I am not surprised that most people don’t want to interact with strangers in a situation like that.

But good on you for your kind deed.

This. SO many people are afraid of strangers. Yet, they're the first people to bitch and moan when they're in that situation and nobody will jump them for 30 minutes.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
See, those extra batteries to run the horn and hydraulic lift kit came in handy. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post