SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does most of society really go out of their way to avoid interacting with someone who clearly needs a little assistance?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does most of society really go out of their way to avoid interacting with someone who clearly needs a little assistance? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I went to pick up my wife's prescription yesterday. Normally I just hit the drive thru because this particular establishment is in a shopping center with quite possibly the worst parking lot/situation in the county! It is far too small, so it is always packed, it has angled parking with 1 one aisles (that just barely fit the width of 1 vehicle), you can't tell just by looking down the aisles if there are open spots so you have to drive up and down every aisle if you want a spot. The lot is always packed so it is unlikely you will find a spot on the first aisle you pick.
So if you don't get the picture this lot sucks and I avoid it like the plague.

But anyway I decided to run inside and get my 2 oldest boys some sort of treat while grabbing my wife's prescription as the 2 little dudes have been so awesome with their new baby bro since he arrived home Friday.

I finally see an open spot and notice the SUV next to the spot had it's hood up and the hatch open with a fella sitting in the back looking glum. So I pull in the spot and ask if he needs a jump or anything. Says sure do already had the cables out and ready to ask whoever pulled in the spot. Even if he was not ready I carry a jumpbox and cables so it would have been all good.
Jumped him with no issue. He thanked me kindly and said he had been waiting 20 MINUTES for someone to pull in that spot but no one ever did.

There is no way with as busy as that lot was no one tried to park there in 20 minutes. I see no reason for the dude to lie about how long he was waiting.
Only thing I can figure is people saw the hood up and skipped the spot not to have to interact with the fella.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
What was wheel nice of you, Black.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Every once in a while, we get to wait 20 minutes for someone to come along and help. If people would stop harming others with theft and danger, they'd be more inclined to stop and help.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
When a significant portion of the membership here is evidently afraid to let their grown children walk the streets by themselves, I am not surprised that most people don’t want to interact with strangers in a situation like that.

But good on you for your kind deed.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a busy parking lot, I'd have no problem helping. On the side of a country road, no way in heck.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the owner's manual for my Chevy warns against hooking my car to another for a jump start, saying there's a possibility of damage to my electrical system. I'll have to look.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I think the owner's manual for my Chevy warns against hooking my car to another for a jump start, saying there's a possibility of damage to my electrical system. I'll have to look.

This. My BMW says don't jump start. Doesn't mean I can't help (ask someone else etc.).

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:

This. My BMW says don't jump start.

There’s just no stopping the march of progress, is there? Roll Eyes

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
The answer to your question is yes. With all the scammers and fake bums only needing $20 for gas to get home as they were stranded while visiting a sick relative - most people will actively avoid any situation like that. Fortunately there are still some who will at least check to see what is really going on.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
When a significant portion of the membership here is evidently afraid to let their grown children walk the streets by themselves, I am not surprised that most people don’t want to interact with strangers in a situation like that.

But good on you for your kind deed.

??

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was before 1900 done successfully by community churches. They understood who was real and who wasn't.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

There’s just no stopping the march of progress, is there? Roll Eyes

All this reliability and better mileage we get now, comes at the cost of complication and astronomical prices. I still miss the 1974 Fiat I paid $3,100 for, brand new, and I could jump start my neighbor's car in the winter with it. Of course, the Fiat was the most fun-to-drive car I ever owned, and I had a real pretty and friendly neighbor! Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Nice that you jumped on that problem.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
I help when I can. I'm better equipped than most. I have an aluminum "racing jack", A Snap On 18V electric impact with 17, 19, 21 and 7/8ths sockets, and a jump pack in my CRV. If you catch me at the to right time I may also have my Snap On Modus Ultra scanner too.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

(Giggle, giggle...)

At such a hub of commerce, to stop and help a fellow out earns you a tip of the rim of my hat...

Yes, Orguss, I see what you did there... Big Grin

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MooneyP226:
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

(Giggle, giggle...)

At such a hub of commerce, to stop and help a fellow out earns you a tip of the rim of my hat...

Yes, Orguss, I see what you did there... Big Grin

I'm glad you spoke up.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me, I waited patiently with no problems to use the ATM today for an elderly lady and a caregiver (perhaps a daughter) while they used the coin counting machine at the grocery store. She was obviously at the same age or older as my mother. And genuine. I smiled at them after they'd finished and they actually seemed a bit embarrassed. 30 years from now I could be that elderly person. She had $70 worth of coins; that should help a bit.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It varies. The last time I was in a situation where we had to pull over due to vehicle problems, two strangers stopped and asked if we needed help in the first 5 minutes, and they weren't the only ones.

Good on you for helping.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPTKILLER:
This was before 1900 done successfully by community churches. They understood who was real and who wasn't.

So you're saying that in the 1800s, churches were responsible for jump-starting people's cars?

Interesting.

"I say, good sir! Do you know of any local chapels wherein I might inquire about the availability of electrical assistance for my newfangled horseless carriage that seems to have been rendered inoperable?"

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So you're saying that in the 1800s, churches were going around jump-starting people's cars?

Interesting.

Some of us started the July 4th holiday early I think.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post