SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Buying and selling gold and silver
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying and selling gold and silver Login/Join 
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted
I am considering buying some silver during all of this but I don't really want to hold it physically. (missed the dip a few weeks ago). I assume there are brokers where you can buy at spot plus commission and then sell when you want to. Then take your profits. Or am I mistaken? If any of you do this where do you recommend a neophyte cut his teeth?
Thanks, Kevin

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Even during the dip the premium was high enough that many people did not purchase. Let me know how many ounces you are looking for, email me if you have any questions david@mimisjewelryinc.com

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6009 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
You're playing in a game of experts. Do you consider yourself one? Then stay the hell out.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
You don't want to hold it physically. Do you want to buy physical silver and have it held in secure storage for you, or do you want to buy paper silver? Two very different animals.

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless you are looking to take physical possession - I would look more towards bargains galore in the market - travel/leisure, energy, etc.

A hundred ounces in your home safe is a good emergency hedge - but more than that can become cumbersome. (stealing space from guns and ammo)

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
You're playing in a game of experts. Do you consider yourself one? Then stay the hell out.

Expertise comes from experience. Sometimes experience is costly.

Kinda like the old saw about good judgement:
Good judgement comes from wisdom.
Wisdom comes from experience.
Experience often comes from bad judgement.

Eek

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
David is the man to listen to as he knows his stuff. When I was buying silver, I wanted possession in case things went to sh-t. But that is my view of things.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I would just put that ‘portion’ in a precious metals fund. I’m not big on going a high percentage of one’s asset allocation in gold or silver. Nothing wrong with a reasonable % though.

https://money.usnews.com/funds...uity-precious-metals

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
When I was buying silver, I wanted possession in case things went to sh-t. But that is my view of things.

That was/is my view.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3964 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
An old saw of an expression is, “If you can’t hold it, then you don’t own it.”

If you opt for a bullion depository storage certificate, then you have the same thing that the FedGov (US Treasury) issued; and look what became of that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...icate_(United_States)

Silver certificates are a type of representative money issued between 1878 and 1964 in the United States as part of its circulation of paper currency. They were produced in response to silver agitation by citizens who were angered by the Fourth Coinage Act, which had effectively placed the United States on a gold standard.[2] The certificates were initially redeemable for their face value of silver dollar coins and later (for one year – June 24, 1967 to June 24, 1968) in raw silver bullion. Since 1968 they have been redeemable only in Federal Reserve Notes and are thus obsolete, but still valid legal tender at their face value and thus are still an accepted form of currency.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A monster box of American silver eagles is 500 oz of silver, and is just a bit bigger than a shoe box. The packaging is a hard green plastic and you can stack them up nicely. Don’t be afraid to buy silver if you want it, but right now it might be tough to find in any quantity unless you are willing to pay high premiums. Find a good local metal dealer and go visit them.

Posts: 1799 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post