SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Really Good Corned Beef
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Really Good Corned Beef Login/Join 
Picture of John Steed
posted
Where do you buy it?

I can't wait for St. Patrick's Day. Fresh cabbage is available now and I would really like to make some Corned Beef and Cabbage.

Now I realize that corned beef is made from a cheap cut of meat, but what is available in my local supermarkets is about half fat. Really flabby fat. I suppose I could buy two and trim off all the flab, but I would like to start with a better grade.

Any positive input is appreciated.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2084 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aller Anfang ist schwer
Picture of Tavman
posted Hide Post
Have always had pretty decent luck with Hummels.

https://themeatking.com/produc...-brisket-sale-5-99lb

Posts: 1700 | Location: Fayetteville, AR | Registered: May 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody else ever boil a can of Hereford for ~10 min, mix it with rice and corn with some soy sauce and Sriracha?

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
In Houston > Kenny & Ziggy's.
Great place.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our local butcher shop makes the best I've had. It's really nice quality meat with almost no waste.

Posts: 8956 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Make your own, it's not hard at all!

I did one a few years back, you make a pickling brine and submerge your brisket in it for 5 or so days, then cook as you desire.

You will need the pink curing salt which you may have to go to specialty shop for or online, pretty much all the rest of it is available at the supermarket.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Katz Deli in NYC: Katz Deli - Order Meats

It's not inexpensive, but it comes vacuum sealed in pouches that you boil for a few minutes to get the fatty juices back to liquid form and heat the meat. And it's REALLY good. I love their pastrami particularly.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
funny you should bring this up at this particular time.

Our favorite meat market just changed the corned beef brand that they have carried for 8 years.

the new stuff is a dollar per pound less , but tastes like inner tube Frown

so I guess we are going to be shopping around

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Costco has a good selection, it's a supplier that supplies the corned beef, however you get close to double the amount that you do at the local grocery from the same supplier.

I trim off the extra fat then cook it up in the crock pot, its fairly lean...

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boar’s Head has two corned beef selections; 1st cut brisket and top round. Brisket not easy to find. My wife likes the top round. We get it at Publix stores deli in Peachtree Corners (Atlanta Ga area). Haven’t tried the brisket as haven’t found it yet. Can probably order some. Developed taste for brisket when living in Texas.

NRA Endowment Member
USAF 1958-1970
Master Instructor 1969-1970
Georgia Gun Owners Member

Posts: 237 | Location: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: February 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Harold's Edison NJ

better be hungry!

http://haroldsfamousdeli.com

Yes, they ship worldwide!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8356 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post