SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Online college -National vs Regional Accreditation.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Online college -National vs Regional Accreditation. Login/Join 
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted
I figured I would post this here and tap the vast knowledge of Sigforum. I currently have an associates degree in criminal justice, and want to pursue a bachelors degree. I may even follow up with my masters too. I know a CJ degree isn't the greatest thing, but Im going on two decades of police work and I'm looking to be more promotable and/or apply for command level jobs within law enforcement.

Because of my work/church/family schedule, I'll need to do online classes. Also, I'll be paying for this out of pocket. My employer doesn't have tuition reimbursement and I'd like to avoid the student loan trap.

I've been looking at various colleges and universities with online degree programs. Programs that are Natioanlly accredited tend to be more affordable than Regionally accredited ones.

What are your experiences with regional vs national accredited degrees? Any recommendations on specific schools to look at or to avoid?

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
"real" colleges are regionally accredited.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stick with regionally-accredited colleges.

A few tips...

1. Pick a school that is also a brick-and-mortar college, and not just an online college. Similarly, pick a program that is an online version of an on-campus program, rather than one that is online-only.

2. Public, in-state universities with online programs will likely be regionally-accredited and will probably give you the best value. If you can't find a program like that, stick with not-for-profit schools.

3. Reconsider getting a CJ degree. Something like public administration would probably be a better choice since your goal is promotion. You may be able to apply your CJ associates degree towards a CJ minor. If you look around you might be able to find a public administration degree with a CJ/public safety concentration. An MPA would be a good follow-up, too.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
What you've posted may be true for other degrees, but it's 100% false for engineering (my area of knowledge). Getting a degree from a university accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) is the ONLY way to go. In the US, my employer only hires graduates from ABET universities, and most of the Fortune 500 is this way.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
What you've posted may be true for other degrees, but it's 100% false for engineering (my area of knowledge). Getting a degree from a university accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) is the ONLY way to go. In the US, my employer only hires graduates from ABET universities, and most of the Fortune 500 is this way.

OP said nothing about pursuing an engineering degree.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
...What you've posted may be true for other degrees, but it's 100% false for engineering (my area of knowledge). Getting a degree from a university accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) is the ONLY way to go. In the US, my employer only hires graduates from ABET universities, and most of the Fortune 500 is this way.

Keep in mind that Regional Accreditation is for the entire University and focuses on the academic rigger and administration policies. Ever wonder why the University catalog has so much BS about policies and procedures ~ its due to the Accreditation Board demanding they be made easily available to all students. In fact, when you register the catalog in effect at that time is your contract with the University regarding the graduation requirements for your specific degree.

Bodies such as ABET reviews specific degree programs, in the case of ABET they are strictly Engineering Degrees.

American Bar Association (ABA) reviews law programs.

American Medical Association (AMA) reviews medical programs.

ABET, ABA, AMA want the University to have Regional Accreditation, but they can grant accreditation without it.

The Regional Accreditors are:
Middle States Commission on Higher Education
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
Higher Learning Commission (formerly North Central Association of Colleges and Schools)
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
Western Association of Schools and Colleges

New York Board of Regents is not a Regional Accreditation Board but being it's New York ~ weaseled its way in via Congress to force the US Dept. of Education to accept it as a Regional Accreditation Board.

Non-Profit and State Universities and Colleges will have Regional Accreditation. Most For-Profit will have National Accreditation.

Transferring units can become an issue as most Regionally Accredited Universities do not accept unit transfers from schools that are not Regionally Accredited.

Are you former military? The American Council on Education (ACE) works with DoD to review the curriculum of the Schools Airmen, Sailors, Soldiers, and Marines attend. The ACE Guide is used by Universities and Colleges to grant units based on DD214 documented schools you have successfully completed.

State Licenses can also be affected, for example...If you attended a California Bar Association Accredited Law Degree, you can sit for the CA Bar Exam, but having completed a CBA approved school might not be sufficient to sit for the Bar Exam in another state. If you attended an ABA Accredited Law Degree you may take the Bar Exam is all 50 States.

To really understand what Bachelor Degree will do you the most good, look at the job postings for the career you want to pursue. Also ask those who are actually in the career field.

If the CJ Associate gets you hired in law enforcement, what about your future? Will a Bachelor Degree in Public Administration prepare you for a management position? What is the appropriate Master Degree for your career choice?

The degrees are steps:
The Associate/Bachelor Degree qualifies you to work in the field of study.
The Master Degree qualifies you to teach in the field of study.
The Doctorate Degree qualifies you to advance the knowledge about the field of study.
(these steps are relative to the field of study)

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Colleges in general are regionally accredited. Specialized disciplines with colleges (business, engineering, etc) are nationally accredited.

The national accrediting bodies that accredit online colleges are sketchy. You would be better off with online program from a real brick and mortar college. There are plenty of real colleges with online programs now.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post