SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Guy from my wife's past tracked her down - UPDATE pg. 5
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Guy from my wife's past tracked her down - UPDATE pg. 5 Login/Join 
posted
I don't want to be alarmist, or dismissive, so I'm asking the opinion of the smartest collective of people I "know" - SigForum.

My wife and I have been married 13+ years and have 4 kids together - I trust her 200%, and vice versa. This morning, she received a text on her cell phone from a guy she was friends with in college (20 or 21 years ago), and they casually went out a few times. She said she was never really into him, and she felt like he was somewhat on the "persistent side", in spite of her declining his advances to get more serious.

She married someone else right after college, and this guy looked her up then, called her to ask if she was happy, and seemed to go away. She obviously ended up divorcing her first husband (serial cheater), and a couple years later this guy looked her up again and tried inviting himself into her life. She declined again - she still wasn't into him, she was starting to feel a little weirded out, and he was married. He may have already been married the first time he called her, also.

She hasn't heard from him since (15 years +/-), but received a text from a number she doesn't know this morning, asking if it was her (by maiden name). We looked up the number, and when she saw the name, she said "oh my gosh this guy is some kind of stalker", then explained everything to me.

I showed her that all someone had to do was Google her maiden name, and various websites will show possible results; in this case it shows her now married name (my last name), in a different city, with several different possible phone numbers. Her cell number used to be our land line number, so it shows up with our address. Maybe he texted several numbers hoping to hear back?

She's not sure if she should; 1) just ignore it, 2) text back - "happily married with children, please stop looking me up and contacting me", or 3) have me call to pleasantly explain that she's uncomfortable that he keeps trying to get into her life.

I'm not sure if this is a normal pattern of behavior for some people of a different stripe (I wouldn't personally do this), or a possible/likely mark of a weirdo. This guy seems to have had a fairly successful military career for 20+ years, so I want to think he's a cut above the average Joe, and maybe just thinks highly enough of my wife to throw out a hopeful feeler in hopes that things might work out this time. She is a wonderful person, and if I had dated her years ago, she'd still come to mind with fond recollection, also.

What say the great minds of SigForum?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Outnumbered,

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
First step would be to ignore it. Most of the time, that is enough. If it continues despite her non-response, that's when you consider escalating to some sort of direct response.

If she's not comfortable with just simply passively ignoring it, you might help her block the number on her phone. That still doesn't involve any direct response, but may make her feel better than simply ignoring it.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
For now ignore it, that is a freebie. If he texts again then decide. Next time could try "STOP" like she thinks it is a spammer or just a "no wrong number."

Spam calls and wrong numbers are so common now he won't be able to be sure which number he googled is correct.

Oh and sorry, I'll stop. Big Grin

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The creep is a effing stalker. Do not communicate. Be ready.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I would say to ignore it but he has a pattern of looking her up... I would start with her returning the text and asking him to please stop tracking her down.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Report This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Give him the benefit of the doubt. Your wife can have a normal conversation with him. A lot of maturity can happen after 15 years.

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely ignore the text. If you respond he knows he found her number.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Ignore it and block the number.

ETA -

quote:
I'm not sure if this is a normal pattern of behavior for some people

It's not normal behavior to stalk someone you went out with a handful of time 20+ years ago.

If I really think, I can recall a couple of girls I dated in my early 20s, but I can't remember their names nor would I ever feel the need to track them down or communicate with them.

posted Hide Post
Texting back confirms he found her and that’s what you don’t want.
Don’t respond.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Ignore it and block them number.

This ^^^^^

But document what you just wrote, incl. approximate dates of (attempted) communication, thoroughly. Just in case.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a hopeless (lonely) romantic that never gave up on your wife.

Frankly that wouldn't really scare me too much. Hell, there are still a couple of wimmins from my high school/college days that I still wonder about...

I'd tell her to message him back that she is happily married and not interested in further communication.

My wife's ex-fiancee went to prison for child molestation. He attempted to contact her when he got out. We treated that quite differently.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Block the number and drive on. Do not let him know that he found the right number.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Call the law, document the goofball, I base this on what I’ve seen on the ID Channel. That guy is nuts, creepy ass bastard!
( And yes, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express in Boonville Mo.)

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
I'm not sure if this is a normal pattern

Not normal.

"they casually went out a few times. She said she was never really into him"- It's not like they were in a committed relationship.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Block the number and drive on. Do not let him know that he found the right number.

I agree. Be on the lookout for any additional intrusions.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
Give him the benefit of the doubt. Your wife can have a normal conversation with him. A lot of maturity can happen after 15 years.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt by not automatically assuming he's wacko. She doesn't want to have a conversation with him, that's the point. She's a more than a little freaked out that he's done this, more than once now. The options we/she listed above are all she's interested in. Choices A, B, or C. Then you suggest choice ZXF3.1d? No offense, but how does that make any sense? Are you him? Confused Big Grin

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Either ignore it and block it or return text ?? wrong number.

if he calls, you answer and say wrong number.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Option A for $1000 Alex.

quote:
Originally posted by Phelen_Kell:
Either ignore it and block it or return text ?? wrong number.

if he calls, you answer and say wrong number.
That works until he gets voicemail with her voice / name.

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Ignore it and block the number.

This, emphatically. There is no reason for a married man to reach out to a married woman with whom he once had a romantic interest as an adult.

Ignore it at minimum, but I would block it too.

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Report This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I don't think this exactly warrants the nuclear option. But I wouldn't respond to the message.

If you respond, it gives this guy validation and a reason to continue his pursuit in the future. Some guys can last for decades on that.

But as always don't let your guard down. Keep your head on a swivel, 'n' all that.

H&K-Guy