SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    John Tyler, born in 1790, the tenth president of the US - has 2 grandchildren who are still alive today
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Tyler, born in 1790, the tenth president of the US - has 2 grandchildren who are still alive today Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My maternal grandfather , John Franklin Webb was born in 1847 and lived until 1920. My mother was born in 1906 when he was 59 years old. My mother lived to be 94.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
That's almost unbelievable, but a fact is a fact. In fact, I'll give you a true story now from my own family, if you'll bear with me.

My grandma was born in London, England, in 1890.

In 1897, the year of Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee, the whole of the nation had a street party. It was also her 7th birthday.

During the street party, hearing about he birthday, a very old neighbour came up to her father, and asked if he could give her a hug in celebration of the event, as she looked so pretty. He was very aged, and badly scarred, but was known to be a good man, so her dad agreed.

He gave her the hug, and the story that went with it.

It's a special hug, he explained, that you can pass down to your children some day. I was a young drummer boy, only twelve years old, at the Battle of Waterloo back in 1815, and don't remember much about it as I was badly wounded sometime later in the day. I was found lying by the trail of a ammunition cart, and kept warm all night by a soldier who hugged me to keep me warm, and in the early morning carried me to the surgeons' camp to get me fixed up as best they could.

So I'm passing this hug to you, to give to your daughter when SHE is seven years old, and she can pass it on in turn. The soldier eventually went back to England, and took me with him, and why not, after all, he WAS my father.

Back to the present day - and when I was seven - on my birthday, my grandma gave the Waterloo hug to me, and I passed it on to MY daughter, who, in turn, passed it on to HER daughter.

Unlike a real relationship, this is an intangible thing - a memory - but nevertheless, it's a connection that I've cherished all my life.

Although I'm not a Christian, let's just remind ourselves that the number of people standing between us and the cross at Calvary is probably less than the number of people on your morning bus.

With that, I'll leave you for the rest of the day.

G*d bless us all.

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
great story Tac!

I’m just fascinated by stories like this. My own family runs 27-33 years between kids going back about 4 generations and then the records get thin. I have a friend who was a grandmother at 38 so some folks just g t started earlier than others.

Posts: 4737 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Great story, Tac! Thank you for sharing.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have read about other instances from that time period where really old men had children with women 40-50 years younger. Many Civil War vets had agreements with young woman that she would basically be his live-in nurse and he would impregnate her so that she could collect his veterans pension when he died.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Thanks for this interesting piece of information.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
When the Inca Empire c. 1400 became a thing Oxford University had been teaching for around 300 years.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And to think that the fact I was born during the last two years of the Cold War is mind-blowing to some of my employees...

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
My daughter went to school in Richmond with a direct descendant of John Tyler, whose brother's name was Lyon. There was also a direct descendant of Harrison and Jefferson in her class. It's a Virginia thing.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
I have read about other instances from that time period where really old men had children with women 40-50 years younger. Many Civil War vets had agreements with young woman that she would basically be his live-in nurse and he would impregnate her so that she could collect his veterans pension when he died.
Maudie Hopkins-Died In 2008

Maudie Hopkins (December 7, 1914 – August 17, 2008) was an American woman believed to be the last publicly known and identified surviving widow of a Civil War veteran.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post