SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Video: Marines doing Marksmanship practice on USS Wasp
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Video: Marines doing Marksmanship practice on USS Wasp Login/Join 
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted
I subscribe to the Gung Ho Vids channel on youtube. They just posted a great video of training on the USS Wasp. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVSVH0WH1n8

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do those men wear hearing protection during live fire training excercises?

Thats a great video!

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep. You can see they have earplugs in.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hangtime:

WHY, YES. THOSE MEN DO HAVE EARING PROJECTIONS WHIRRING HIVE WIRE RAINING ENTERPRISES!!!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:

WHY, YES. THOSE MEN DO HAVE EARING PROJECTIONS WHIRRING HIVE WIRE RAINING ENTERPRISES!!!

I AGREE, THEIR EARNINGS WERE NOT THAT WONDERFUL. MAYBE AFTER THE WAR?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thats a great video!

with the M242 Bushmaster (25mm cannon in the APC)..hearing plugs don't matter...

we had the same gun on a deck mount and even with double hearing pro (or in my case as the mount captain, one set of ear lugs and sound powered phones-it doesn't matter)

and as an instructor, standing next to guys firing all day several times a week, double ear pro still doesnt help....it's cumulative...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
That's awesome.

We need a brass clean up on aisle one, brass clean up on aisle one please.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Nah, let the enlisted walk on the brass...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
There is no such thing as adequate hearing protection when it comes to the bigger guns.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:

Thats a great video!

with the M242 Bushmaster (25mm cannon in the APC)..hearing plugs don't matter...

we had the same gun on a deck mount and even with double hearing pro (or in my case as the mount captain, one set of ear lugs and sound powered phones-it doesn't matter)

and as an instructor, standing next to guys firing all day several times a week, double ear pro still doesnt help....it's cumulative...

Chief, even down in main prop you can hear the 25mm that thing shook the Valiant

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have tinnitus/ringing in my ears from too much damage over the years. Imagine these military guys will too eventually.

I'm now doubling up with muffs and plugs but its really too late but trying to protect whats left.

Military's opinion on hearing protection must not get in way of winning a war etc..

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
They used targets for ths small arms (M4/M16 & sidearms), but I don't see targets for the bigger guns (ma deuce, 25mm bushmaster, etc).

I'm assuming several forum members have been there/done that and could fill me in on what they're targeting when shooting seemingly into the ocean? For example, how do they determine POI vs POA without a discernable target?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The deck drill with the M4’s and transition to pistol was pretty much exactly like Jerry Jones’ carbine class, except for the burst mode. Fun times! Cool

Posts: 18049 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
They used targets for ths small arms (M4/M16 & sidearms), but I don't see targets for the bigger guns (ma deuce, 25mm bushmaster, etc).

I'm assuming several forum members have been there/done that and could fill me in on what they're targeting when shooting seemingly into the ocean? For example, how do they determine POI vs POA without a discernable target?

Killer Tomatoes...

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:

Thats a great video!

WOSSAY?

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Guy on the chopper, is that a Knight SR-25?

Q

Posts: 26353 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

Killer Tomatoes...

Yep......or smokes.....or trash....or sometimes it's just the ocean. Smile

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Killer tomatoes! (it's a large rubber weather balloon that you can blow up several feet across, try a few large nuts or bolt to the stem and GTG)

or we took a 55gal drum painted it red and ran a piece of chain thru the top and ran the chain thru a half concrete block....toss it over the side and it will float upright with the weight under it...then when it gets hit, it sinks and visually shows the gunner he's doing work.

We also used M127A1 (white parachute flares) to simulate air targets for the machine gun crews...laungh the flare and as soon as the chute pops, yell "guns free" to the crew and let them practice

----------------------
"Chief, even down in main prop you can hear the 25mm that thing shook the Valiant."

yeah on the WPB we had to duct tape the breakers down before firing! The 20mm Orelikon cannon didn't ratttle too bad, but when we got the M242 it was a WHOLE new ballgame!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
It looks like they were initially shooting at a MOB floating smoke marker. They burn for about 15 minutes. We used to use 55 gal drums, surprisingly difficult to hit with the .50 when the ship is moving, usually burned through many cans of ammo to sink one. Good Times.

We have lots of cool targets these days.
http://www.navair.navy.mil/tan...docs/atr/FS_ATMO.pdf

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have tinnitus/ringing in my ears from too much damage over the years. Imagine these military guys will too eventually.

I'm now doubling up with muffs and plugs but its really too late but trying to protect whats left.

Military's opinion on hearing protection must not get in way of winning a war etc..

Same here. In my 11 years active duty in Germany I spent a LOT of time on the range. Personal qualification, competition shooting, training replacements, etc, we NEVER used hearing protection of any kind. And the price was paid. Forced to use hearing aids for probably 20 years now.

Mortars, BMG, 30 cal MG, rifles, carbines, grenades, M79 grenade launchers, Bazookas, tank guns, artillery. All without protection. Even in the NCO academy at Ft. Carson we did big gun training (forward observer, etc) without protection.

Somebody told me years ago about free hearing aids from the VA. Checked into it, and decided it was not worth the trouble, and the 200 mile round trips involved.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post