SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When to Call it Quits With Work
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When to Call it Quits With Work Login/Join 
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify, a partner does not get a "Salary". Partners get profit distributions which are ultimately reported on their K-1. If a partner is to be paid a specific amount, it is what is referred to and classified as a "Guaranteed Payment" (i.e. it is guaranteed to be paid to the person regardless of the profitability of the partnership). It is also reported as a line item on that partners K-1.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
We hired me an "assistant" but I'm terrible at delegating things to him because I don't trust he will do "it" as good as I will.

Then clearly you hired the wrong person.

Not necessarily. Delegating is a skill. Control freaks hate to delegate and often have a hard time at it. (Don’t ask me how I know). Control freaks who can be perfectionists are even worse. (Don’t...:-)

The trick is learning what is really important and has to be just so and what just needs to be done in a workmanlike manner. One of the hardest things for me to learn and say was, “That’s fine. It isn’t how I would have done it, but it is fine.”

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
quote:
We hired me an "assistant" but I'm terrible at delegating things to him because I don't trust he will do "it" as good as I will.

Not necessarily. Delegating is a skill. Control freaks hate to delegate and often have a hard time at it. (Don’t ask me how I know). Control freaks who can be perfectionists are even worse. (Don’t...:-)

The trick is learning what is really important and has to be just so and what just needs to be done in a workmanlike manner. One of the hardest things for me to learn and say was, “That’s fine. It isn’t how I would have done it, but it is fine.”

Agreed.

It's the fault of the person who can't delegate or communicate, not the person waiting patiently to help out.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I read it tha he has trouble delegating to the individual because he does not trust him.

Not that he has trouble delegating as a whole (big difference) and agree with you all if the latter is the case.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you ask this question on a public forum is the time to call it quits. Running a successful business takes a lot of talent. The fact that several partners have stolen money and a bad employee, tells me that you're not on top of the finances anywhere close to where you need to be. Your best bet is to lease most of the space directly to the tuner for X amount a month and do what you do in a smaller section of the shop. Running a successful business is very difficult and most people simply can't because there are so many aspects you have to be good at. I would recommend after 4 or 5 years to find another job or to go back to where you left, OR find someone who IS GOOD at running a business similar to yours and have them come in and tell you what's wrong with your operation AND listen.

Also, having a shop full of cars doesn't necessarily turn a profit either, if the jobs aren't profitable, and the work isn't getting billed properly. It's really too hard to say how your business will turn out with what you've told us. Perhaps give it a certain amount of time and if it doesn't work then you're out.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The point of hiring an assistant, is that you are finding someone who can do their tasks BETTER than you. What's the point of finding someone who does the same thing as you? Best case scenario, they do the same tasks as you but just not as well. Worse case scenario, they're better at the same tasks and make you ultimately unnecessary.

I have an assistant. She does not do mini-versions of my job. She does entirely separate tasks that are supporting my role in my organization. In my case, she handles the little details, so I can spend my time on bigger things that impact the business. You ought to find an assistant with skills that differ from yours.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good advice on different levels so far.

Don't take this the wrong way - I'm sure you are a talented guy - very personable.

But it sounds though like you are in a 'hobby' not a business.

Yes - all businesses have lean times and you must be prepared for those. But if you are heavily invested in this - in terms of sweat, blood, tears and $$$ - but not getting paid - you are getting suckered regardless of how 'nice' everyone seems.

Business is not charity - if there is not a projection to get things turned around ASAP and start putting money in your pocket - I would cut loose PDQ. Would you expect your employees to work for free?

If nothing else - think of the opportunity cost of your lost wages / pay.

You owe it to your family. I know your wife being an attorney gives you some cushion in terms of paying the bills - but you can't keep putting off the inevitable.

What are your options in terms of Plan B or C?

----------------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
You need better metrics.

Decision making is all about the quality of the information you are basing your decisions.

I know nothing about your business, but off the top of my head, you should be keeping at least the following as metrics:

1) Number of cars in the shop each day.

2) Project duration for each vehicle (days vehicle is in the shop).

3) Dollar value of each vehicle project.

4) Shop hours per vehicle.

5) Number of interactions with each vehicle per day (higher number indicates higher complexity).

6) Number of interactions with client.

7) Number of office hours per vehicle.

8) Number of interactions with vendors per day.

Etc, and so on.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I do better making decisions like this by putting everything down on paper.

What is your agreement with other owner/investors?

Do you have a business plan that lays out how you will eventually make money?

Who gets paid back first if it does, you or the investor?

Do you have the books and are they easy to analyze so you can see where the money comes from and where it goes? Seeing the actual numbers often produces surprises for me. Which services or products are making a profit and the same type of analysis with expenses.

The economy is going ok now so if you can't make a profit now something else is wrong.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:

Thanks Mike! I'm going to read over this a few more times to make sure I understand and absorb it all. I think the issue here (one of them) is that I am doing too much and not able to do any one thing 100%.. Taxes, sales, customer service, social media, parts ordering, making appointments. We hired me an "assistant" but I'm terrible at delegating things to him because I don't trust he will do "it" as good as I will.

But thats what managers have to do: delegate. If you don’t trust him, find someone you do.
Very best of luck.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
The biggest problem I see here is that you aren't getting paid. Lot's a great info and suggestions here.

You can't/shouldn't work for free, especially if you have unique skills that are bringing in revenue.

All of this should be documented in legal agreements.

It's really hard but my experience in business has taught me to avoid partnerships if at all possible. I refuse to enter a partnership unless I am in control, and my partner has a skill set I can't do without.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Over the last 35 years of observation I have noticed that there are very few partnerships that don't end up with one of the partners getting thoroughly reamed.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I've read a lot of this thread, and have some ideas. I am a corporate lawyer who has been advising startups since 1996, and I have extensive experience as both a founder of startups and a counselor to them.

It's way to much to write, but if you want to have a call, hit me at my forum email address and we can talk. Multiple times if necessary.

I can't give you legal advice in an informal way on this, but I can help you organize the issues you need to decide on to find your way from here.

A

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12746 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I frankly think your lack of a business education has hurt you. You seem naive and in denial as well.
Professionals hire other professionals. You seem to have skipped planning with an accountant and a lawyer. When what you're doing hasn't worked, STOP DOING IT.

My suggestions:

Apologize to your wife for procrastinating

Take up ArtieS on his offer.

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have just been through a learning process, so no matter what that experience is valuable.

If you are thinking of quitting, you could tell the other partners that you need some regular cash or you have to bail. This has much better options than just quitting.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
ArtieS sounds like a great resource.

But for the next time, I'm not understanding why you are a partner but have no agreement. How much of the business do you own? (I don't need to know, it's for you to know.) I also don't understand why you haven't been getting a pay check. Business owners are able to collect a paycheck for holding a position.

I wouldn't bail without getting any equity or money. Good luck, man.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
thank you all for taking the time to weigh in, it truly means a lot to me. The $ partner will let me walk away from my % ownership on good terms, so that's a plus. It looks like I know I need to leave, and an interesting opportunity just popped up that I am going to start a new thread on.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Before you pull the plug, why isn’t the business making money?

Are you doing adequate volume? Pricing correctly? Overhead out of control?

Given your costs and pricing, can you make money in any reasonable scenario? What is the part that is out of bounds?

I have never forgotten a client I had years ago who came to me about the donut shop he was operating. He was doing a great business, but losing money.

Doing the analysis showed that with the lease and his other expenses, the more donuts he sold, the more he lost. The percentage lease over a certain volume was a killer, for his margins.

^^^^ THIS ^^^

If this is what you truly enjoy and all of the environment (sans the non-profitability) then figure out why (if you can) the lack of success.
If it is purely a financial move (the latest business/job) and no other passion or ties then go do what keeps you solvent.
The old saying "If you love your work > then you'll never job/work a day in your life" is true.
Don't give up if it is truly what you want to do.
Good Luck.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
As far as delegating responsibility goes, I've learned this:

Only do the stuff "only you" can do. Everything else needs to be done by your staff with your oversight, not by you. The stuff you must do personally can't exceed the time available plus the time required to manage others.

The trick is to know who can do what & let 'em be to do it. If you don't have the right people for that, there's your trouble.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post