SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Well drat....I think I fractured, or at least chipped my tibia....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well drat....I think I fractured, or at least chipped my tibia.... Login/Join 
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Looks like you need to hydrate. Motrin, and water.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
Looks like you need to hydrate. Motrin, and water.

Spoken like a true Corpsman. Only thing you left out was "take a knee".

After XRay, turns out nothing broken or chipped, just strained and an infection. Joy.

Antibiotics (Cephalexin) for the next 10 days and a bit of Oxy to take at night.

Doc used a sharpie and drew a circle around the 'red'area. Gave me about an inch buffer and said if it gets red past the circle, go directly to the ER, they might need to do a surgery as there could be a puss of infection in the leg that would need to be removed. He didn't think that was the case, but didn't want to take any chances.

He was an M.D. in Afghanistan and made some half sarcastic/half respectful crack about Marines waiting til shit is practically falling off until they come see someone. I added, "unless we want to get out of something." He thought that was very funny.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Only 2 classes of complaints, in the ER: "Bullshit" and "Oh, shit!"

Today, that there is "Oh, shit!"

5 days ago, it would have been "Bullshit".

You just can't win Wink

Glad you're on the mend.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good news. Take another pic now in case you wash the sharpie mark off. Sounds like the doc has seen a lot of those types of injuries. That is a good thing. Thanks for the followup.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First thing I thought when I saw that pic was Compartment Syndrome. Been there done that and when I finally hobbled into the local ER the doctor told me I was about 24 hours from developing Gangrene and having my foot amputated. They gave me a shot of some antibiotic that dropped by blood pressure like a stone for about 45 seconds or so. Vision went totally black and the nurse is yelling at me to sit down. Would have done that if I could see the damned chair. After that the doctor drew around the margin with a sharpie without any spacing at all. Then he told me if the redness didn't recede from that line within two hours I needed to come back and check in for IV therapy with a stronger anti biotic.

Note, as I learned from my experience it is rather common for a blow to the shin to lead to Compartment Syndrome. Because what can happen is a blood clot can form in a compartment in the leg that causes blood to get trapped in that veinous compartment, which then leads to Sepsis. In my case the first time was a water ski hitting me in the shin. The second time was walking in a stray bar of steel someone left sitting in the band saw. Fortunately the second time I recognized the symptoms at onset so all it took was 10 days on Cipro to clear it up.

BTW those symptoms are moderate swelling due to fluid retention in the lower leg, mild pain, and a dusky yellowish tinge to the skin in the effected area. Anyone who has taken a blow to the shin and sees this happening needs to get themselves to Urgent Care or an ER immediately. Otherwise there is a real potential for progression to Gangrene and a subsequent amputation.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5622 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post