SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It's time. I'm going to learn the haka.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's time. I'm going to learn the haka. Login/Join 
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
A couple of decades ago in the Hawaiian Islands I learned a few things about other island cultures. Fiji, Tonga, all the way out to NZ and AUS (a damn big island, in some people's opinion).

First, when you run across a fella on the beach, trail, wharf, you SMILE. Widely. People who do not smile to strangers, like for instance 99.9% of New York City dwellers, are regarded as mentally ill. Another thing, some of them laugh differently. "Tee-hee-hee" in a high pitch. Do NOT grin in amusement or make fun of the locals on their turf. They understand English, and will stomp you.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Completely comprehend and concur with the smile at strangers aspect of these cultures.

Most groovy Cool

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I regard this shit the same as when my daughters learn their little dance routines.
Childish.

Yeah as you're about to get the shit stomped out of you. Frown

Does learning a little dance give you some mystical power? I'm talking about the ghey dance, not a skilled fighter.
Since my ancestors were Vikings would it stand to reason that if I drink out of a curved horn it somehow makes me a skilled fighter with an axe and shield?

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Gosh, i sure hope so.

Am getting the urge to pick up a Claymore and lay waste to the enemy!!!

FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mebbe just a wee dram, afore hoisting that great sword Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

Besides which are all those guys Maori?

Lots of them. Maybe all. That is the national rugby team of New Zealand, the All Blacks. They are a dominant force in international rugby, and a perennial favorite in the Rugby World Cup.

Ryanp225, you are being more than a little douchey on this issue. Do you really think the All Blacks think this grants them magical rugby powers? It builds team feeling. It may be a little intimidating. The fans eat it up.

Also, what is wrong with little girls' dance routines? Do you really think your daughter's routines are worthless?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Since my ancestors were Vikings would it stand to reason that if I drink out of a curved horn it somehow makes me a skilled fighter with an axe and shield?

Yes.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Makes sense to me

Posts: 107512 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Stamp with fury and gusto.
Behold the hairy man!

( And beware the guys with bunny ears. They're the bad-asses, Pilgrim.)

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Ryanp225, you are being more than a little douchey on this issue.

I'd like to see him share with one of the players on the All Blacks rugby team his thoughts on their pre-game haka... in person

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
It is an honor being bestowed on the recipients. A show of respect to the enemy to prevent combat and to work up the tribes into a warlike mood. It is only used when the tribe are facing great warriors or honoring a fallen hero.

This is the funeral of Jonah Lomu, one of the greatest NZ rugby players of all time. He died of cancer and kidney failure aged 40. He also was 'head-hunted' by NFL teams when he was in his prime. Yeah, scoff if you want, but you wouldn't do it to their faces, any more than you would to a Lakota Pow-wow dance.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
They need to work this into the routine:

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Mystical, magical bunch of bad asses, the Maori. Before WWI, the people of New Zealand, then part of the UK, contributed the funds to build the battlecruiser New Zealand.

In 1913, just before the war, the battlecruiser visited New Zealand, and a Maori chief gave the captain a grass skirt and green stone necklace to wear in battle, predicting that the ship would be in three battles, would only be hit once, and no sailors would be killed.

The ship was in action at Dogger Bank, Heligoland, and Jutland. Was hit once at Jutland for minor damage with no casualties.

Hmmmm, maybe there's something to this Maori stuff...

I say haka away.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The haka wasn't developed on the soccer field. The ghosts of all those old warriors are laughing at this. There's nothing life-or-death in soccer.

Para, the Haka is performed at Rugby matches, not soccer.

Those are the All Blacks, possibly in the top three world teams, always.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
I regard this shit the same as when my daughters learn their little dance routines.
Childish.

Does learning a little dance give you some mystical power? I'm talking about the ghey dance, not a skilled fighter.

The left wants to eradicate tradition. I consider it important to society to preserve the traditions it embraces that tie generations together, that get families together, and guide the youth of the future.

If you are on Sig Forum, I suspect you aren't happy with some of the stupidity going on in society. Yet much of it is happening because there is/has been a movement to remove tradition.

I am an American, my heritage is rebellion. My tradition is never go down without a fight!

Posts: 2027 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steyn:
Looks like the macarena to me.

Hey hey!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I defy you to watch this without being moved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI6TRTBZUMM

The dead were soldiers killed in Afghanistan, one of them a young girl, the other a sniper.

Or even this funeral haka for a beloved teacher...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6Qtc_zlGhc

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Well I can't do the dance but my wife says I make those faces and postures while watching the news...The Maori are a fierce bunch
https://www.military.com/video...e%20the%20opposition.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
The American equivalent is Bill Murray’s boom chake laka, boom chaka laka in Stripes.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Kiwi soldiers honoring their brothers killed in Afghanistan

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post