SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It's time. I'm going to learn the haka.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's time. I'm going to learn the haka. Login/Join 
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted
The solitary walking guys [has not yet spread to females] who do their full-body rapping will have nothing on me.

Fact, the pukana will become mainstream.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I regard this shit the same as when my daughters learn their little dance routines.
Childish.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
Looks like the macarena to me.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I regard this shit the same as when my daughters learn their little dance routines.
Childish.
Hoo, man! I wouldn't say that to the face of a Maori warrior. Those guys are legendarily fierce. You might want to do a bit of research.

IIRC, the idea of the chanting was to intimidate one's opponent, so that a fight would not be necessary. If that didn't work, well, it's on.

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I think watching these guys perform Haka is fascinating. And, yeah: I think I might be a bit (?) intimidated Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The haka wasn't developed on the soccer field. The ghosts of all those old warriors are laughing at this. There's nothing life-or-death in soccer.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Childish.

Fortunately, Maori culture embraces sharing aroha with pākehā... even when faced with closed minds.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The haka wasn't developed on the soccer field. The ghosts of all those old warriors are laughing at this. There's nothing life-or-death in soccer.

Mvskoke used to use stickball in place of war; better to allow a small group of people to die in stickball than have whole nations go to war. The Maori had a similar view, prior to participating in pākehā sport.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I did a haka at a friends wedding, he was Hawaiian and his uncle taught it to us in secret in the days leading up to the wedding.
he took about 30 minutes explaining the meaning and what the moves were translating to.

I'll take some liberties but essentially it was Rivers turning red with blood, eating the faces of your opponents burning villages and such. Brutal shit.

in short, not a macarena

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
The haka wasn't developed on the soccer field.

The video I posted was a haka challenge before a rugby game, not soccer.

quote:
The ghosts of all those old warriors are laughing at this. There's nothing life-or-death in soccer.

Haka is used in Maori culture for much more than pre-battle "game prep" Smile

Haka - Maori dance

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
The haka wasn't developed on the soccer field.
The video I posted was a haka challenge before a rugby game, not soccer.
Rugby. Soccer. Tomato/potato! Razz

Rugby's the game where the players all gather together in a scrote, right?

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rugby's the game where the players all gather together in a scrote, right?

I think so. And the place in which such gatherings are held is called a scrotum.

Kind of like a forum, only different.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sounds kinda gay

posted Hide Post
It’s a game. A rough game but a game. It’s dramatic theatrics by grown men. Am I intimidated by them? Well hell yes if I had to face any of them in physical combat or sport but I’m not a professional rugby player.

Besides which are all those guys Maori?

Should the Atlanta Braves start doing war dances and smoke signals before games?

If I was a rugby fan maybe I would find this amazing. As is I find it every bit as childish as end zone celebrations and shit talking. Meh.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
The Braves used to do smoke signals after a home run I think.

Burned his TeePee and had to quit....

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Besides which are all those guys Maori?

All of them. It's a requirement for being on the team.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Explanation of this being performed by New Zealand's All Blacks Rugby Team along with the history and customization by the Team:

https://www.allblacks.com/the-haka/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Childish.

Yeah as you're about to get the shit stomped out of you. Frown

quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I think watching these guys perform Haka is fascinating. And, yeah: I think I might be a bit (?) intimidated Smile

Ya think? Eek

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
BTW, in case any of you are wondering, the haka is not effective in trying to pick up women in bars. It's even less effctive when you're drunk.

Just thought you'd like to know.

posted Hide Post
After doing the Haka pre-game, they took a 20 minute intermission for the players to recover. Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post