Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smoke alarms Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Do you trust the wireless connection? I would have a hard time trusting wireless if hard wired was available. If that is not available, wireless is certainly better than no connection at all.

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranger312:
Do you trust the wireless connection? I would have a hard time trusting wireless if hard wired was available. If that is not available, wireless is certainly better than no connection at all.

You answered your own question.

In a one story rambler I can add SDs to entire house with no drywall damage whatsoever. It's a no brainer.

Locations are one per bedroom, in hallways outside of bedrooms, and one per floor if there are no bedrooms.

If you live in an old house with plaster walls and 2-3 floors and three additions on it, then it becomes prohibitively expensive.

I usually price it both ways. If they are handy and have zero hardwired ones I give quote to install hardwired and link to Amazon then tell them if they can hang a picture they can install the battery only wireless ones.

I then tell them that in my own 1960's house I hardwired everything because I don't want to risk it. I'd love to retrofit every house up to code with hardwired, interconnected alarms, but if it's going to cost $2,000+ to add them between me and paint/drywall it just ain't happening. People that have never experienced it or had a neighbor/friend/loved house burn down will never part with that kind of dough.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post