Find
Notify
Tools

Smoke alarms Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted
Instead of just replacing the batteries in my smoke alarms, I am considering replacing all my smoke alarms with new units. I have lived in this house for three years, and have no idea how old they are. They are all battery operated, single smoke alarms.

My question is this, do they make something better now that does not require them to be hard wired, are not dependent on my monitored burglar alarm, and will all alarm at once if one alarms?

Posts: 13676 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smoke alarms are pretty much all 10 yr battery life anymore. The price has also gone up too. Prepare to pay $30 for a single alarm. You can find these alarms at any local walmart, home depot etc.

I think you will have some issues finding alarms that link together.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gpbst3,

Posts: 5414 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
My question is this, do they make something better now that does not require them to be hard wired, are not dependent on my monitored burglar alarm, and will all alarm at once if one alarms?

To have them all go off at once and not be hardwired the only one I can think of off of the top of my head is the Nest Protect. They make a battery operated version.

Posts: 6343 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought 3 Kidde carbon monoxide/smoke alarms about 2 years ago that run on 4 AA batteries. I have one on each level of the home. They interact with each other, and if one goes off they all go off.

I looked for a model number on them but could not find one. Contact Kidde and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Posts: 12651 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Usually the detector cell in the alarm is considered good for 10 years. Most of them have a date mfg.
Many newer single detectors have a 10 yr battery and 10 yr warranty.
Local fire code in many areas is for AC power/ with battery backup and hard wire interconnection for multiple units. Having been in your house for only 3 years, I doubt the local code has changed in that time and just replacing the type that is there and passed inspection would be ok.
There are detectors like a Kidde RF-SM-DC that are battery powered, wirelessly interconnected and go off together. If you would want them to alarm to a panel, it would have to be a type that could receive the wireless alarm.
Please check local code.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
quote:

To have them all go off at once and not be hardwired the only one I can think of off of the top of my head is the Nest Protect. They make a battery operated version.

These Kidde wireless interconnected battery power units will allow for all SDs to go off at once if one is triggered.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20804 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We bought some of those Kidde RF-SM-DC Wireless Interconnect Battery-Operated Smoke Alarms a few years ago because the girls were all sleeping with their bedroom doors shut. I worried that they would sleep through an alarm in their room, that I wouldn't hear.

They have worked out to be a good solution for us.

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I put Kidde 10-year sealed battery models in my house, no screwing around with changing batteries anymore. Got them on sale for around $15/ea at Walmart and put in 10 of them.

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I put Kidde 10-year sealed battery models in my house, no screwing around with changing batteries anymore. Got them on sale for around $15/ea at Walmart and put in 10 of them.

Do they talk to each other so that if the one in the basement bedroom goes off then your one in MBR on the top floor goes off as well? This was the feature he was looking for. I am not aware of any 10yr battery ones that interconnect. This is an important safety feature as the extra minute you sleep until you hear the basement alarm going off (if you hear it) may be enough for a fire to spread and block easy exiting.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20804 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
quote:

These Kidde wireless interconnected battery power units will allow for all SDs to go off at once if one is triggered.

Suppose I trigger one near the kitchen with a dose of my bad cooking skills and the all start sounding. Once I do the "wave a dish towel like a crazy man" dance and clear the smoke from the triggered one, will they all go silent as well?

God bless America.

Posts: 13483 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Suppose I trigger one near the kitchen with a dose of my bad cooking skills and the all start sounding. Once I do the "wave a dish towel like a crazy man" dance and clear the smoke from the triggered one, will they all go silent as well?

I almost want to do your wife a favor and let you do your towel dance, but I'll be nice. No need for a dance, just press the hush button.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, found them at Home Depot. Holy smokes, at almost $80 for a three pack. For now I am just buying 8 fresh 9 volt Duracell batteries.

I will get them next time they are on sale.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ki...k-RF-SM-DC/206093602

Posts: 13676 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of level Joe
posted Hide Post
We have 6 of the Nest brand smoke/CO2 detectors.
They aren't cheap but we feel it was money well spent.
They work with a phone app to let you know what and where the problem is.
10 year battery and hard wired models, interconnected, voice alert with location and alarm if triggered.
Might be worth a look.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Conflict is the root of civilization.

Posts: 226 | Location: Indiana | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
My house is 60 years old, and has plaster walls. I would be afraid to even ask an electrician for a quote to install 8 hardwired smoke alarms.

Picture of level Joe
posted Hide Post
If you are responding to my post I may worded it poorly.
They have hard wired models and they also have wireless battery powered models.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Conflict is the root of civilization.

Posts: 226 | Location: Indiana | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like my Nest protects, both hardwired with battery backup and battery only.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks guys, found them at Home Depot. Holy smokes, at almost $80 for a three pack. For now I am just buying 8 fresh 9 volt Duracell batteries.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ki...k-RF-SM-DC/206093602

That is the best price I've seen. Beats my contractor price, I get them at $30 ea.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:

It should, yes.

Posts: 6343 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I almost want to do your wife a favor and let you do your towel dance, but I'll be nice. No need for a dance, just press the hush button.

Ehh... she's seen it.
I get the idea it was moderately amusing the first couple of times. Afterward, not so much.

Now about that "hush button...." <Insert evil grin here.>

God bless America.

Posts: 13483 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
I bought 3 Kidde carbon monoxide/smoke alarms about 2 years ago that run on 4 AA batteries.

With my woodstove, I bought these too. They seem to be good to go and most importantly they aren't overly sensitive where a burnt piece of toast will set them off.

quote:

I'm betting your house is worth a whole lot more than $80. Wink

Posts: 20066 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post