SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Humming birds are back
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Humming birds are back Login/Join 
posted
I put out a feeder 2days ago, my wife saw the first one yesterday morning, she said that he didn't like it when she moved at the window, it takes a while for them to get used to being watched by giants.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We usually see them arrive in the first week of May. Buy your sugar futures accordingly. Smile

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2066 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Sometime in April round here. They are neat little buggers.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to it.
They, and the Orioles, usually don't get here till the middle of April.

Posts: 3235 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
I live in Chicago. I may have never seen a hummingbird in person prior to spending time at my cousin's farm in Indiana last year. He has several feeders and I was fascinated, so much so that I bought a feeder. Do I have any chance of drawing some to it here in Chicago?

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Only if they can vote.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We've had a couple at the feeder for about 10 days. don't seem to be sticking around, yet. We've had Orioles nest in our Palms the last two years, my wife saw one and put their feeder out, too.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Usually put my feeder up the first of April, so next week. I'll catch a group flying north during April which are really active as I guess they are filling the tank for their continuing journey. Then there are ones that stay all summer. I see the same ones every day, with one being the alpha bird attempting to chase all intruders away.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Way too early for hummingbirds here, but today I noticed my cardinal pair was back.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
I live in Chicago. I may have never seen a hummingbird in person prior to spending time at my cousin's farm in Indiana last year. He has several feeders and I was fascinated, so much so that I bought a feeder. Do I have any chance of drawing some to it here in Chicago?

Yes you do. More so if you reside in an area with numerous trees ,shrubs and flowers. MG

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here on the wet side of Washington, we have Anna's Hummingbirds stay year round, so I keep the feeder out in the winter. I'm noticing that the feeder is getting more use, so there are more birds showing up. As the weather gets warmer, Black Chinned Hummers will start showing up, followed by the Rufous Hummingbirds. By midsummer, I'll be going through about 12 oz. of nectar a day.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On a Wing
and a Prayer
Picture of Pilken
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:

Yes you do. More so if you reside in an area with numerous trees ,shrubs and flowers. MG

I'm in the NW Burbs and we have a feeder that gets plenty of visitors.

-------------------------
“I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!”
- Dr. Seuss

Posts: 2624 | Location: FINALLY just outside of Chicagoland | Registered: April 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for reminding me to head over to the bird store for hummingbird stuff.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a trio of them here all winter long. I'm curious what you guys do to keep the bees out during the summer? They get so bad here the birds can't get into them.

Posts: 2127 | Location: Tacoma, Wa. | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
All that humming going on - you guys are really patient! The worst is when they hum, "Zippidy Do Dah."

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10704 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Yes the hummers are back.

I got this Black Chinned at the feeder just the other day.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
We have 4 feeders up in Murphy, NC and had visitors with hours of hanging them up. Love watching those little guys flit back and forth.

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
Here on the wet side of Washington, we have Anna's Hummingbirds stay year round, so I keep the feeder out in the winter. I'm noticing that the feeder is getting more use, so there are more birds showing up. As the weather gets warmer, Black Chinned Hummers will start showing up, followed by the Rufous Hummingbirds. By midsummer, I'll be going through about 12 oz. of nectar a day.

Same here - I live in Everett, WA.
It is really fun when the weather starts to turn colder, the Anna's get territorial about the feeders and will stake them out and chase off other birds. One bird-per-feeder. One feeder-per-bird. My wife keeps four feeders out in the winter, all out of sight of each other, and we usually have three or four birds that hang out. One year they were so consistent, we could recognize individuals and they got names. Smile

She has rigged up heaters out of plumbing parts and small light bulbs to keep things from freezing on cold nights.

They are really bold little guys too. My wife was carrying a refilled feeder back out to hang up, and an Anna's didn't wait - came in and took a long drink while she was still holding it.

Posts: 964 | Registered: August 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post