SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pole Saws?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pole Saws? Login/Join 
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am totally exhausted just watching that fella with the rope!!

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Chain saw on a rope.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017...gid=pla-305175037139

Fuck a WHOLE bunch of that!

I'd be crippled for weeks. Wife'd have to feed me, my shoulders would be locked up tighter than Fort Knox.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rent one every year.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have bought the Remington RM1025SPS one year ago. It's the combination of a pole saw and an electric chainsaw. I can work trim branches as high to 15 feet high. Easy use! You can see guides and reviews pole saw at this site:
https://pickbestchainsaw.com/best-pole-saw/

James

Posts: 1 | Registered: February 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Can you rent one from HomeDepot or other such tool rental outfit?

Or you can purchase an electric pole saw with about a 10 foot reach for $100 or less.

Definitely rent.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38646 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The little electric Remington 10" is what I have in addition to several small and medium gas chain saws. For your described use there is no reason to fool with a gas unit and the problems of fuel and carburetors. Any pole saw can get a little heavy with the weight out on the end but you don't have to hold it there for long.I think my Remington is 10 years old and still works like the day I bought it. It's under $100 and has an oiler. Good luck!

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jamesgross:
I have bought the Remington RM1025SPS one year ago. It's the combination of a pole saw and an electric chainsaw. I can work trim branches as high to 15 feet high. Easy use! You can see guides and reviews pole saw at this site:
https://pickbestchainsaw.com/best-pole-saw/

jamesgross Welcome to the forum but thought I'd point out that you replied to a thread that was started June 09, 2017 (with the most recent response of Nov 5th) Hopefully by now the person that started the thread figured out his course of action.

It will be interesting to see how many additional responses we get to this revived thread.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by cestkro:
Hey PHPaul, Would you like to share your experience about corded Remington pole saw.

It worked very well, has a surprising amount of power for a small motor.

Obviously, you're restricted by how many feet of extension cord you have on hand.

It IS a mite unwieldy with that much weight at the end of the pole when fully extended.

You just nailed the reasons I bought the Stihl power pole saw.

We've had two corded bits of yard gear: A hedge trimmer and a hand-held leaf blower. They both did an "ok" job, but hauling a big, heavy extension cord all over hell's half acre was a pita.

Over the last two years I'd had enough of that nonsense. Bought a good hand-held gasoline engine leaf blower year-before-last and a pair of good gasoline engine hedge trimmers last year.

The pole pruner was two seasons ago. I've found the gasoline engine on that actually helps balance the thing out when the pole's extended all the way. To me it's little more difficult with the pole all the way out than all the way in, other than, because of the length amplifying your movements, positioning of the bar for your cut is a bit trickier.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Can you rent one from HomeDepot or other such tool rental outfit?

Or you can purchase an electric pole saw with about a 10 foot reach for $100 or less.

Definitely rent.

Rent a pole saw for $69 or buy one for $99. Yeah, renting seems like the smart option. I can totally see the logic in that.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last year I purchased an expandable 40w battery powdered electric pole saw. What a smart decision on my part. I used it again last Sunday to remove some large dead limbs from my back yard. I also have a blower that uses the same battery. I may well purchase a chainsaw that also uses the same battery. I like not fooling with gas, or electric cords when I need to do yard work. I have decided to be good to myself......since I work for nothing!!

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
We use the Stihl telescoping pole with saw end in grounds at the RV Resort in South Dakota. This is our go to tool. It has tremendous reach is light weight in a few pulls the branch is down.

The pole and saw head is sold separately.

Expensive yes but like I say we use it almost every day.

Stihl telescopic pole and saw head

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I have a few trees that need pruning and I'm too damn old to do it from a ladder with a chain saw. My shoulders are too far gone to do it with a manual pole saw.

So, I'm thinking my next toy will be a power pole saw. It will see VERY infrequent use, maybe a couple of hours a year or perhaps a bit more.

Based on such minimal usage, the price and maintenance of another gas-powered saw seems silly, and I'm thinking electric.

Still, I'm a big believer in "Buy Once, Cry Once" so I'm willing to pay what it takes for a good, solid unit.

Suggestions? Experience?
My "minimal use" corded electric pole saw is four years old, and still going strong. "Minimal use" includes use by me, two neighbors, and a friend at work.

I got it at Harbor Freight, and it was 25% less expensive than the least expensive of the "name" brands.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Have only used a Stihl pole saw with no complaints. As far as the rope saw for limited use I can see where it would come in handy.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Echo pole saw that doesn't extend. It's the PPF225 or something similar. I use the hell out of it and it is a great saw...….I even use it for stuff near the ground, that you could use a regular saw on, because you don't get any tree debris on your or anything.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a good deal on a Fiskars manual saw ( 14 footer)
when they went on sale.

used it for four years , its been a very good saw for me.

I tried the electric's in the store, did not want to have to join the gym to be able to use it.

glad to hear that yours is doing a good job for you.

( you young kids got the world by the tale Smile )

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post