SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pole Saws?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pole Saws? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I have a few trees that need pruning and I'm too damn old to do it from a ladder with a chain saw. My shoulders are too far gone to do it with a manual pole saw.

So, I'm thinking my next toy will be a power pole saw. It will see VERY infrequent use, maybe a couple of hours a year or perhaps a bit more.

Based on such minimal usage, the price and maintenance of another gas-powered saw seems silly, and I'm thinking electric.

Still, I'm a big believer in "Buy Once, Cry Once" so I'm willing to pay what it takes for a good, solid unit.

Suggestions? Experience?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
i have the Stihl Kombi unit which allows me to add attachments like pole saw, weedeater, hedge trimmer, edger etc. One motor for all of that stuff.

You might also check to see if you can rent one in your area. Some small engine shops do that around here. Get the job done, and then take it back.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Stihl fs85 that I can swap gearboxes on. Similar to the Kombi shafts but takes longer to do. I have the pruning saw gearbox for it and it works great. Obviously it doesn't have the reach of a true pruning saw but it reaches far enough for clearing everything that I hit my head on while mowing.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Fisker's 14 ft. manual that does a great job and its very quiet

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The electric model I have doesn't have any provision for chain/bar oiling, which is in my view a deficiency. I don't recollect what brand it is, but you might check to see whether the model you look at offers chain oiling.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
This is the one I bought recently and I was pleasantly surprised with it's performance. The charge on the battery out-lasted me.

Another nice thing about it is, you can remove the center section and make it shorter if you don't need to reach way up there.

Just noticed arfmel's post. This one does have an oiler.

http://www.cpogreenworks.com/g...LUsdQCFQimaQodM0wKKQ

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
I have a Stihl fs85 that I can swap gearboxes on. Similar to the Kombi shafts but takes longer to do. I have the pruning saw gearbox for it and it works great. Obviously it doesn't have the reach of a true pruning saw but it reaches far enough for clearing everything that I hit my head on while mowing.

just yesterday i bought a 4ft extension for my kombi saw. Dad needs help at the lake and the extra reach will help. The extension was 69.00

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Can you rent one from HomeDepot or other such tool rental outfit?

Or you can purchase an electric pole saw with about a 10 foot reach for $100 or less.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I had several backyard trees "deadwooded" by a professional tree outfit. They sent a tree monkey who did it all with ropes, muscle, and a power saw. The ground man dragged the dead limbs out to the chipper. It may be worth getting a quote, at least.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
I just bought the Remington RM1025SPS Pole Chain Saw off Amazon for $80 bucks. It worked great so far. Pole saw reviews has this one as their best electric: Pole Saw Report

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We bought an electric one from Harbor Freight. Needed to meet your same criteria. I want to say about $75 and have had no issues with it. Used it for a few hours at work and a few at home. Already paid for itself. If, by some chance, it didn't work next year - I'd just buy another one again next year.

Posts: 239 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: October 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I also went low ball at Harbor Freight, had a specific job to tackle. It works fine, I've used it a few times since and it's holding up well so far. With HF's liberal return policy, hard to go wrong.

I'm no kid and the saw beats me up good. The head weighs a lot more than a manual saw and the manuals are plenty tough to use on their own. Pole saws are a chore.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have the smaller of the dedicated Stihl pole saws. Extends to something like 11 feet, and balancing it when it is out there is a bit of a task. However, it burns through live oak like it isn't there so I can't complain. I use it once or twice a year, but the quality and power are worth it.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Echo and Stihl dealer within less than two miles of each other, which made it easy to compare, and, after hefting both of them, opted for the Echo. That was 5 or 6 years ago, and have yet to have any reason to regret my decision. I remember thinking that I liked the balance of the Echo better, but can tell you that it's still a bit of a workout some days. And I found that it's good for more than just height; sometimes I will grab it for low trimming or whatever, rather than one of my regular Stihl chain saws because I can reach through surrounding brush without getting all scraped up.

Posts: 462 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
Remington electric pole saw. Works great cuts wonderful and has an oiler. You can cut more limbs in 10 minutes than you can haul off all day. Had one 10 years. Excellent buy. And beware when you cut a limb it will fall directly in your face.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chp37
posted Hide Post
One more happy owner of the Remington 10" electric. Got mine from Amazon a couple years ago and it has performed very well. So well that neighbors borrow it and use it as much as I do. Whichever saw you get, be watchful of the chain tension and check before each use. They do stretch and cause problems if they slip off the bar in the middle of a branch 10' off the ground.

Posts: 586 | Registered: October 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is sometimes helpful to think of the consequences if things do not go according to plan and also add in the emergency room copay. I have used electric pole saws in the past and have come out okay. Of course there is always one limb you can reach only by standing on the ladder with the pole saw.

I see where you live. You should have plenty of folks with those skills in Maine. Tree monkeys are impressive to watch as well.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
watched a small crew trim a nut orchard recently;
used a self propelled hydraulic platform & a silent battery pole saw....mucho efficiency and no noise.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input.

All the trees that need cleaning up are within extension cord distance of the house/garage and if it's out of reach of an 8' saw, I don't need to cut it anyway.

Based on recommendations here and on review sites, I'm gonna go with the corded Remington from Amazon.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ok waiting on your pics.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post