SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vertigo - see a doc or wait?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vertigo - see a doc or wait? Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I had a change in medications cause 3 days of vertigo earlier this year. I was titrating on one medication and titrating off another medication. On top of the vertigo, I had wild blood pressure and pulse swings (everything from normal to too low to too high).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
I have bad allergies. I get like that sometimes when the pollen counts are high. I flush my sinuses and that normally helps me.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go see a doctor immediately.

Honestly, it's most likely from the Swahili juice your drinking.....The Kratom or kava or whatever that over the counter opiate is, that nobody knows how powerful it is, what's really in it, or if it's from a trusted source, it's unregulated etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belwolf:
Do you also have tinnitus?

I do. I have a disability from the VA for tinnitus and I have Vertigo buy no disability for it

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I was prescribed by the local Urgent Care Doctor for my bout with Vertigo, was basically sea sick medicine, so go get some Dramamine and rest a bit, should feel better in a day or so. If not, get to a doctor for further treatment.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I’ll second the possibility of Ménière’s disease, I have had it for years and it’s easy to treat, vertigo is nothing to play with, it can render you helpless. See a Doc now.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The old standby for vertigo is a prescription drug called antivert, active ingredient is meclizine the same drug is in Bonine for sea sickness, it works similar to Dramamine but with much less drowsiness. When I was still a practicing pharmacist we kept bottles of 100 meclizine 25 mg for folks and it was a bunch cheaper and did not require a prescription. It is a antihistamine so if you have prostrate problems it can reduce urine output.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'm mostly offline right now but trying to read up. Contacting my primary to make an appointment.

I'm improved since the initial severe episode but still have tinges of dizziness and nausea.

I don't have ringing in the ears but I have been struggling with an ear issue. Fluid comes out, clogs the ear, I clean it up, repeat. Maybe that's the cause of this? It's only on one side.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I had an attack of it a couple years back. Same thing, dizziness and nausea. It came on on a Friday evening and Saturday I spent sitting in my recliner because whenever I tried to stand up the whole world started spinning. Sunday it had lightened up enough that I could drive, so I went to the local urgent care center. Apparently, "I'm feeling dizzy" is a trigger phrase for "possible heart attack" or something, because I went immediately to the head of the line and straight into an exam room. They did an EKG, BP, everything, and found - nothing. Finally an actual doctor came in (everybody up to that point had been PAs and technicians and nurses) and asked me to describe the symptoms for him. So I described it for him and he says "Oh, you mean vertigo?" I'm like Charlie Brown at that point - you know, when he's sitting at Lucy's doctor kiosk and she's explaining all the different phobias for him? "THAT'S IT!". So he goes into IENT mode and grabs the little scope thingie that they use to look in your ears, takes a peek and says "Yeah, you have some fluid in your inner ear. Go to the drug store and get some Flonase, take a couple drags on it and relax for a while." Cleared it up completely in an hour or so.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
So... what did the Dr. say ? (hint hint)

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A severe ear infection can cause vertigo.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
You should of seen them Friday.

Yep!!

Yeah. Seriously. I love you guys but if I have a scary medical problem I’m to to my doc before I go to the forum.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get seriously dizzy from my hay fever sometimes, but usually not real nauseated.

I would see a DR.

Do not ride your motorcycle while in this condition. I did not have my dizziness when I went out on mine, but got it while riding and then almost crashed. I messed my back up really bad when that happened and it will bother me the rest of my life.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can’t differentiate a cerebelar stroke and benign positional vertigo without at least some rudimentary examination and possible testing. Does the dizziness worsen when you turn your head from one side to the other? Do you have any nystagmus with quick rotation of the neck? Any recent sinus or ear issues? Does the dizziness worsen when you change position..from laying to sitting or sitting to standing? Dizziness is one of the worse ER issues to diagnose. I have had “dizzy” patients with BPV, strokes, vertebral artery dissections, orthostasis from dehydration or acute blood loss, anemia, pulmonary embolisms, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, etc... often the only symptom the patient my experience in any of these conditions is dizziness or lightheadedness. I had a relatively healthy 48 year old woman I admitted last week that ended up having a right vertebral artery dissection without any neck pain...her only symptom was room spinning dizziness. Go get checked out. If it is BPV meclizine should help. Epley’s maneuver is hit or miss in my experience.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS. Look you just got a free consult from an ER doc. Follow the advice please.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I saw a doc today. He didn't feel there was any neurological basis. More than likely, it's vertigo / labyrinthitis. Possibly do to some viral infection or possibly related to the ear drainage. Although, upon examination of the ear, it looked fine with just the ear drum sucked in a little.

So, the conditions sounds idiopathic at this point with just likely causes but nothing deterministic. But he did rule out more serious possible causes for now.

He recommended just waiting it out since it seems to be be getting better / self-resolving. But he prescribed some Meclizine if I wished to take it / felt the need.

So, at this point, I'm just resting easy, just taking some short, easy walks. I get tired easy and faint dizziness / nausea returns after the walks. But it feels good to move a bit after being in bed for a few days.

Thanks again to everyone for your help!! I feel more comfortable now although hope I never have another bout again.

I still have some tension in the back of my neck that's causing some discomfort (especially when lying down) and perhaps nausea (like a tension headache). Maybe eating / drinking more will help - I was on a water diet from Thurs to Sun.

Thanks again all! Really appreciate your help. Frankly, I was pretty scared on Thursday night.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Collins:
I am surprised no one has mentioned Meniere's disease as a possibility as the symptoms described are exactly like Meniere's symptoms. I have been living with Meniere's for more than 35 years now but it is treatable.

Curious - how did you treat it? I have a family member @ 85 with Menieres who hasn't had much relief.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:... But he prescribed some Meclizine if I wished to take it / felt the need....

That mescaline is some trippy shit, man...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to a Doc. I have it and it hurts to fall. I have it under control and getting on the table that moves to many angles so they can see exactly where you are dizzy is sort of fun.

Posts: 1118 | Registered: May 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Collins:
I am surprised no one has mentioned Meniere's disease as a possibility as the symptoms described are exactly like Meniere's symptoms. I have been living with Meniere's for more than 35 years now but it is treatable.

Curious - how did you treat it? I have a family member @ 85 with Menieres who hasn't had much relief.

I'm curious too, had Meniere's now for about 13 years-right ear first then left ear three years ago. I had a flurry of vertigo episodes in June and July (my hearing was almost nil during this period). I religiously watch my salt intake and no caffeine. Seasick pills do nothing and only Lorazepam works at reducing the effects of the "mild" attacks (but barely helps for major episodes).

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those that don’t know, meclazine is the number one drug for vertigo,almost said prescribed, however it no longer requires one.

The is a version now of Dramamine, called Dramamine/meclazine, my local super market carries it.

Meclazine and antivert are the same thing

I keep a container in every glove box and other strategic locations.

Taking a whole one makes me drowsy, and if I do sleep, it usually goes away

Half works for me good for f it’s mild,

But shout out to fellow sufferers, had it so bad a year ago, thought I was having a stroke.

Symptoms are brutal, but it’s not considered a major thing

Posts: 53 | Registered: October 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post