SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vertigo - see a doc or wait?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vertigo - see a doc or wait? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Thursday night, I woke up to very severe dizziness and the room seemed to be spinning. I felt severe nausea as well. I was sweating profusely.

This lasted through all of Friday. I spent the day in bed - sleeping when fortunate.

Saturday was a little better but still pretty dizzy and nauseous. Still some room spinning on occasion. But spent the day in bed again.

Sunday, I could get up and walk around slowly but dizziness and nausea would come and go. But no real room spinning.

The condition seems to be getting better slowly. Sounds like vertigo.

Should I try to see my primary care tomorrow? Or just continue to see if it resolves itself? At what point should I see a doctor? How long does it take to completely disappear?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
See the doctor, get some help! A guy I worked with who did commercial roof inspections nearly took a nose dive because of vertigo.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3626 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should of seen them Friday.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I have it off and on. My sister in law had a bout of it so bad she went to the hospital. It was basically an inner ear infection. That was last week.

The doc told me, vertigo is seldom a symptom of serious issues. Other types of dizziness might be. Vertigo can however trigger a panic attack that feels like you are dying. I can vouch for that.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
You should of seen them Friday.

Yep!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
By asking us if you need to see a doctor, it’s very clear that you need to.
You know that you need to go in. We’ll just agreed and give you a push.
If it was me, I’d be obsessing about this. Half afraid it’s bad and half afraid I’d go in and it would be nothing. Fortunately, my wife is a nurse and tells me to shut up and go in.
Go in.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Labyrinthitis to me. I've had it twice and it is not a fun condition at all. In my case it was brought on by a build up of fluid in the inner ear. My doctor told me that all I could do was to treat the symptoms with Dramamine. It lasted about a week in both cases. Definitely see a doctor tomorrow.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
It is probably nothing to worry about. I have had it occur a few times. After my last episode, I did visit the doctor. He said it was BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo). I have found it to not last very long, although it is disturbing.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/dis...-causes/syc-20370055

https://www.webmd.com/brain/qa...itional-vertigo-bppv

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Good luck. My wife has had this issue for almost 1 year. 6 different ENT doctors with numerous tests, neurologist with EEG and MRI. Emergency room 3 times, family doctor so many times I've lost count. It pains me to watch her crawl across the floor at 1:00am to get to the bathroom.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When in doubt- Have a Poll.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
Start doing Epley maneuvers now if you have not already.

Posts: 3585 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
konatta88,
Jump on the Internet , go to Youtube and download a video called Epleys Manouvre - follow the procedure and the vertigo will disappear . I had it 7 years ago , did the Epleys and have not had it since . It was bloody annoying and cost me a days work . Doctors will charge you hundreds of dollars and don't usually cure it .
best .

Posts: 132 | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
You can’t differentiate a cerebelar stroke and benign positional vertigo without at least some rudimentary examination and possible testing. Does the dizziness worsen when you turn your head from one side to the other? Do you have any nystagmus with quick rotation of the neck? Any recent sinus or ear issues? Does the dizziness worsen when you change position..from laying to sitting or sitting to standing? Dizziness is one of the worse ER issues to diagnose. I have had “dizzy” patients with BPV, strokes, vertebral artery dissections, orthostasis from dehydration or acute blood loss, anemia, pulmonary embolisms, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, etc... often the only symptom the patient my experience in any of these conditions is dizziness or lightheadedness. I had a relatively healthy 48 year old woman I admitted last week that ended up having a right vertebral artery dissection without any neck pain...her only symptom was room spinning dizziness. Go get checked out. If it is BPV meclizine should help. Epley’s maneuver is hit or miss in my experience.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
It is probably nothing to worry about. I have had it occur a few times. After my last episode, I did visit the doctor. He said it was BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo).

I had this about five years ago. Without getting technical, the Dr. explained that crystals in the inner ear had escaped and were floating around. It is sometimes called "top shelf syndrome" because it manifests itself when you tilt your head back and look to one side. He put me in an exam chair that tilted back, had me look left (I already told him that's how it came on), and he shined a light in my eyes, revealing nystagmus. This is also something cops also look for in drunk drivers. He gave me a set of exercises to do (the Epley maneuvers) which he said would "put the crystals back in place". After about 10 days of the exercises, the vertigo was gone, and has not returned since. Hopefully the Doctor will find yours is benign also, rather than something more serious.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
Do you also have tinnitus?

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
See the doc!

I had a mild bout last year and had a hard time standing up straight without falling over.

I was diagnosed with Vertigo and prescribed steroids to be taken in my nose. That took care of it pretty quickly.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am surprised no one has mentioned Meniere's disease as a possibility as the symptoms described are exactly like Meniere's symptoms. I have been living with Meniere's for more than 35 years now but it is treatable.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Does it look like you are on the edge of a merry go round facing outward as it spins? Do your eyes move side to side when you feel the spinning? Have someone watch your eyes. Do NOT drive. Get a Dr to check you. If it’s BPV, the Epley Maneuver is the only thing that helped me. I learned how to do it myself and now I save money doing it myself. Meclizine never helped me even a little bit. You need to check to make sure it’s not something worse. Can’t treat it til you know what it is. I’ve had it quite a few times. Spins start when I turn my head or rise/lay down. Haven’t had an episode in years though. Made me seriously reconsider riding motorcycles anymore.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
See the doctor to rule out any serious issues and do the Epley exercise that’s been mentioned. I was having most of my trouble at night so I also bought a thicker, very firm pillow. That helped a lot, too. Good luck.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of the Hudge
posted Hide Post
I've had it bad and always have it to some extent.
Look up Dr. Carol Foster Half Somersault Maneuver. It can work in a pinch, especially when experiencing the drunken death spins. (Without being drunk)

Posts: 799 | Location: Inland Nortwest | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post