SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Some Good News for Ranchers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some Good News for Ranchers Login/Join 
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted
Last fall I had to accept $1.08/lb for my beef.

My accountant figures my break-even point is between $1.42 and $1.48. But few ranchers can afford to feed a herd of yearlings through a full winter hoping for better prices come the following summer/fall.

So, to me, this Trump "Win" is VERY good news: LINK

quote:
China opens gates to US beef imports
June 20, 2017

[Go to URL to view photo] China opened its gates to US beef imports this week, giving American cattle farmers much sought-after access to the country's massive market following a 14-year ban (AFP Photo/JUSTIN SULLIVAN)

Beijing (AFP) - China opened its gates to US beef imports this week, giving American cattle farmers much sought-after access to the country's massive market following a 14-year ban.

Shipments of eligible US beef have been allowed to enter China since Tuesday, the General Adminstration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine said in a statement.

Announced last month, the lifting of the beef embargo was one of the first concrete results of trade discussions that began when Chinese President Xi Jinping met with Donald Trump at the US leader's resort in Florida in April.

The agreement, seen as a sign of warming trade ties between the world's largest economies, also gives US natural gas and certain financial services access to China's market of nearly 1.4 billion people.

In return the United States will allow cooked Chinese poultry to enter US markets.

China imposed a ban on US beef imports following a case of mad cow disease in the United States in 2003.

To ensure the safety and quality of the imported meat, China insists that US beef comes from cattle younger than 30 months.

The animals must be traceable to their birth farm.

"Cattle should be born and raised in the US, or born in Mexico or Canada and slaughtered in the US," China's quarantine authorities said.

"Cattle should not be the offspring of those that were suspected of having or confirmed to have mad cow disease."

Beef consumption in China is rising owing to the country's fast-growing middle class, though pork still accounts for more than 60 percent of the meat consumed.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Wow! Deal thrown in April and Beef shipping already!
Our Dear Leader must be chopping red tape big time!
MAGA!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with you, friend. Gots to be good news for the ranching industry.

Posts: 403 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Should we be concerned about raising beef prices here then?

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

Dear God, I hope so! Prices as of last November might have been sufficient to sustain megaAgribusiness, but were putting little ranches like me (1,400 acres, wintering over 200 head) out of business.

You may be paying $8/lb for that T-Bone steak, but the guy who raises that beef is only seeing about 12% of that.

Almost everybody else in the chain of commerce has some control over his sales point/what he can charge. The rancher does NOT. My beef is worth what the market says it's worth at any given instant, and not a penny more. My only choice is sell or not sell, not what the sales price will be.

The old saying is that "The rancher is the only businessman who buys at retail, sells at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
China who has some of the worst safe food handling processes in the world are afraid of how safe American beef is and where it comes from???????

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
China who has some of the worst safe food handling processes in the world are afraid of how safe American beef is and where it comes from???????

American beef tastes like freedom, and that's dangerous to the state. Eat lead filled rat turds, no sweat, but folks get a taste for freedom, and they'll want more. Usually slathered in barbecue sauce, or slow smoked over applewood.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I've been happy with the low beef prices, but I can't imagine how tough it makes it on the rancher. Our local grocery stores have been having sales at least once per month on NY Strips and Rib Eyes for the past year and a half. Usually about ~$5.00 per pound for USA Choice. The first few times it was on sale I stocked up. They put it on sale so often I had to stop buying it I had so much beef in the freezer.

Prices must also differ regionally. I have a co-worker who lives in Florida and I tell him about the beef sales. He said he never sees NY Strips or Rib eyes on sale for five bucks a pound.

I will say a 6 - 8 lb Choice Rib Eye roast is pretty tasty! We've had several.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. I don't understand. Break even is $1.46 and he's selling for $1.08. Seems to me all he needs is more volume! Big Grin

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
What's the pencil shrink on that boat ride? Wink

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I wish we could get some decent beef here in Tucson

I saw a pot roast at Safeway - $12 per pound so I bought one - it was absolutely tasteless

even the texture when cooked was abysmal - I had better beef at McDonald's

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

I saw a pot roast at Safeway - $12 per pound so I bought one - it was absolutely tasteless

Damn, that's what I pay for beef tenderloin around here Eek

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

If you have a Costco, Costco has REALLY good beef.....they even sell Prime and the quality is universal throughout the country.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Two Costco stores in Tucson, it was worth the drive from Benson/St. David.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
More good news for ranchers: LINK

quote:
U.S. bans fresh Brazil beef imports over safety concerns
by Reuters
Thursday, 22 June 2017 23:20 GMT
By Tom Polansek

CHICAGO, June 22 (Reuters) - The United States halted imports of fresh Brazilian beef on Thursday, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said, after a high percentage of shipments failed to pass safety checks.

The USDA had "recurring concerns about the safety of the products intended for the American market," after increasing tests on Brazilian beef in March, according to a statement.

The agency raised scrutiny on Brazilian beef and ready-to-eat products as a precaution following an investigation into corruption involving Brazil's health inspectors that targeted meat companies JBS SA and BRF SA.

JBS, the world's largest meat packer, declined to comment on the U.S. ban.

The USDA's action threatens the reputation of meat from Brazil, the world's top exporter of beef and poultry, even though the United States is not a top customer. It also could boost domestic sales in the United States.

"Product was already on the water and that's not going to be allowed in," Altin Kalo, a U.S. livestock analyst at Steiner Consulting Group, said about shipments headed to the United States from Brazil via boat.

Since March, the USDA has rejected 11 percent of Brazilian fresh beef products, compared to the rejection rate of 1 percent for shipments from the rest of the world, the agency said. The shipments, totaling about 1.9 million pounds, raised concerns about public health, animal health and sanitation, according to the USDA.

The agency said none of the rejected lots made it into the U.S. market.

The move to block Brazilian meat is a turnaround for Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue, who warned in March that Brazil might retaliate if the United States halted beef imports.

On Thursday, he said in a statement that "although international trade is an important part of what we do at USDA, and Brazil has long been one of our partners, my first priority is to protect American consumers."

The U.S. suspension will remain in place until Brazil's Agriculture Ministry "takes corrective action which the USDA finds satisfactory," according to the agency.

A slew of global buyers, including China, Egypt and Chile, curtailed imports of Brazilian meat after Brazilian federal police unveiled an investigation into alleged corruption in the sector on March 17.

Brazilian authorities said at the time that meat companies made payments to government health officials to forego inspections and cover up health violations.

The United States began allowing shipments of fresh beef from Brazil last year after banning them due to concerns about foot and mouth disease in cattle.

(Additional reporting by Michael Hirtzer in Chicago and Tatiana Bautzer in Sao Paulo; Editing by David Gregorio and Bill Trott)

Thanks,

Sap

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Just right

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nothing new about that. The stuff is so expensive that buying anything other than ground beef has become a rarity to me. Steak is good, but damn that stuff's pricey. It doesn't seem reasonable to pay that cost for an item at a homemade meal when I can have a nice, thick pork chop for much less.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
quote:

Dear God, I hope so! Prices as of last November might have been sufficient to sustain megaAgribusiness, but were putting little ranches like me (1,400 acres, wintering over 200 head) out of business.

You may be paying $8/lb for that T-Bone steak, but the guy who raises that beef is only seeing about 12% of that.

Almost everybody else in the chain of commerce has some control over his sales point/what he can charge. The rancher does NOT. My beef is worth what the market says it's worth at any given instant, and not a penny more. My only choice is sell or not sell, not what the sales price will be.

The old saying is that "The rancher is the only businessman who buys at retail, sells at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."

I've heard it said that the only people making good money in the beef industry are the grocer's association and the packers, any truth to this? My FIL raises about a hundred head or so of registered Hereford, and I think the only reason he does it is for the love of it and to provide all of his family with high quality food that we otherwise couldn't afford to eat regularly.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
That is good to hear. Hard to make money this way and I feel for those that try.

My dad had a Hereford herd when I was a kid we got up to about 45 head and we had all we needed but were poor and I doubt I really knew the whole truth either.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:

In return the United States will allow cooked Chinese poultry to enter US markets.

Big Grin

Chickity China the Chinese chicken. You have a drumstick and your brain stops tickin'

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post