SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Honey, LDS is at the door!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honey, LDS is at the door! Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
My company has an office in Salt Lake City. Almost all of them are LDS. Very nice people. They do carry a slight air of superiority when in groups but it is subtle. I know where many of them did their missions, Japan, Hawaii, Philippines, Haiti, etc. I feel so sorry for the poor LDS kids that get sent to my area that I always offer them a moment to come in, sit down, have some bottled water, etc. Often they'll accept the bottled water on a hot day but that's usually it.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
I volunteer for American Red Cross and we can provide initial shelter, food and water for a few days and generally are the first to respond following a disaster. The LDS, Amish Relief and Salvation Army are usually close on our heels to provide more hands on aid with clean up and rebuilding. We are always glad to see them arrive as they begin to move families into recovery mode versus the survival mode that we supply. Good folks one and all.

Here in Louisiana the Red Cross is about a dirty word. The Salvation Army is good and I have some LDS neighbors and they are really great people

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Great to hear. We need many more people like this!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Nice way to crap on a guys sharing of a little ray of sunshine in an otherwise bleak circumstance for his parents. (to those the shoe fits)

Instead of looking for the smallest crevice to wedge that pry-bar of cynicism, can we not be happy for someone for a good thing?
Thanks for saying that.

There is too much cynical, negative, crap going around. It's time to focus on the positive stuff.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have found them to be good people

whenever I see the young folks out on their missions I always try to take time to speak with them / encourage them

(I am a Lutheran)

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@Charlie12

quote:
Here in Louisiana the Red Cross is about a dirty word.

Details as to why? I'd really like to know>

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been living in "Mormon Central" for about 45 years now. Even though I am not LDS and not even really Christian, I have never had any problem or complaint with LDS people. They really are, generally speaking, embody good Christian values and virtues.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice way to crap on a guys sharing of a little ray of sunshine in an otherwise bleak circumstance for his parents. (to those the shoe fits)

Instead of looking for the smallest crevice to wedge that pry-bar of cynicism, can we not be happy for someone for a good thing?

Fusternc. I am glad for your parents good fortune and assistance from those young people.

I am about an hour away, if they need anything, let me know. I'll try and assist if I can.

SigMonkey thank you very much for the offer!
I think things are looking up for them now.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
As students, LDS guys are known to lie and cheat. I find their emotions are just like anyone else's, but they try to keep things under control. At least on the surface, that is. For young guys it sometimes boils over and out of control. Look up Mormon crimes, or Mountain Massacre.

Look up Elvin Bishop's daughter. She and four others were manipulated, killed, and dismembered by a LDS member, happened 10 miles from where I live. People are people, hemming some people in is not good for their psyche.

Quite possibly the stupidest fucking thing I've ever seen posted here. I Googled it and don't see anywhere where it says the killer was LDS, but even if he was, what does that have to do with the LDS church? Do you think they sanctioned it? Do explain.

Could be you were just confused by the last name Bishop tossed around in the news stories.

https://www.recordnet.com/arti...501/a_news/305019975

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/...victed-in-slaying-of

This happened essentially in my neighborhood. I have followed it since day 1, read just about anything I could on it. The Perps were LDS, but had a crazy idea of taking over the LDS church. Neither of the articles above mention this part, but if you delve into the crime further you will find this.

My opinion is that some persons, when pressured to lead a "perfect" life, rebel in the extreme. I spent 4 years in a professional school, where there were many, many LDS students. They were always polite, but they would sometimes do things behind your back that were fairly nasty. The LDS system reminds me of forcing a square peg into a round hole. I prefer to interact with persons who are more genuine than individuals who act "christian" but harbor and hide other feelings.

What about owning a business in a mostly Mormon town? I have not done it, but I know people who have lived in towns in Idaho that were predominantly Mormon. I have universally been told that the LDS members will not shop at your store or business, and you will eventually go bankrupt. Where are the Christian values in this? Any LDS persons on this forum who will deny this? Are they encouraged to do business with LDS members over others? Well, true or false?

I do not harbor a grudge against the LDS church, I find them about equal with most other denominations.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
quote:
As students, LDS guys are known to lie and cheat. I find their emotions are just like anyone else's, but they try to keep things under control. At least on the surface, that is. For young guys it sometimes boils over and out of control. Look up Mormon crimes, or Mountain Massacre.

Look up Elvin Bishop's daughter. She and four others were manipulated, killed, and dismembered by a LDS member, happened 10 miles from where I live. People are people, hemming some people in is not good for their psyche.

Quite possibly the stupidest fucking thing I've ever seen posted here. I Googled it and don't see anywhere where it says the killer was LDS, but even if he was, what does that have to do with the LDS church? Do you think they sanctioned it? Do explain.

Could be you were just confused by the last name Bishop tossed around in the news stories.

https://www.recordnet.com/arti...501/a_news/305019975

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/...victed-in-slaying-of

This happened essentially in my neighborhood. I have followed it since day 1, read just about anything I could on it. The Perps were LDS, but had a crazy idea of taking over the LDS church. Neither of the articles above mention this part, but if you delve into the crime further you will find this.

My opinion is that some persons, when pressured to lead a "perfect" life, rebel in the extreme. I spent 4 years in a professional school, where there were many, many LDS students. They were always polite, but they would sometimes do things behind your back that were fairly nasty. The LDS system reminds me of forcing a square peg into a round hole. I prefer to interact with persons who are more genuine than individuals who act "christian" but harbor and hide other feelings.

What about owning a business in a mostly Mormon town? I have not done it, but I know people who have lived in towns in Idaho that were predominantly Mormon. I have universally been told that the LDS members will not shop at your store or business, and you will eventually go bankrupt. Where are the Christian values in this? Any LDS persons on this forum who will deny this? Are they encouraged to do business with LDS members over others? Well, true or false?

I do not harbor a grudge against the LDS church, I find them about equal with most other denominations.

I have never heard a single encouragement to do business exclusively inside the faith. Not once. The excuse that Mormons won’t patronage your business on religious grounds is simply that: an excuse for a failed business. Guess what? There’s plenty of Mormon-owned businesses that also go bankrupt in Mormon towns.

One of my friends is a non-Mormon Mexican roofer. His business seems to be thriving. I’ve never had anybody inquire about my religion before doing business with me. People should stop using other’s religion as an excuse for their own failings.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could be wrong, but it seems like different people have had different experiences with different people.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP, I'm glad the LDS church was able to provide neighborly service in your time of need and that you had a positive experience. May the Lord bless you at some point with the ability to return the favor to your neighbors, regardless of faith affiliation.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Fusternc. I am glad for your parents good fortune and assistance from those young people.

I am about an hour away, if they need anything, let me know. I'll try and assist if I can.
. Well said, my feelings exactly. MG

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Some others of different beliefs like to marginalize them due to those beliefs.
I've found them to be polite, well educated and can't find much to criticize. They seem to have strong families and to be very honorable people.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sigcrazy7, nice to hear that. As I mentioned before, I reported only what I have heard regarding working in mostly Mormon towns. I will keep my mind open on this matter.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I'll take two male LDS missionaries over two millennial metrosexual gender-fluid non-binary hipsters any day of the week.

My experience knowing the LDS missionaries in my local ward in the last 3 years has shown me that there is hope for the young American male. They may end up all being LDS, but if that's God's plan so be it.

I reciprocate their help by inviting them to dinner frequently and by offering 24-hour a day safe harborage (e.g., you need a drink of water or if it starts raining or snowing, come to my place and I'll get them safely back to their apartment).

As for crimes or bad deeds by people claiming LDS affiliation, it seems like I can point out similar cases involving every Christian denomination, people who are Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Satan worshipers, and atheists.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
The LDS young people came to my moms house after the 1994 flood
They worked all day without complaint
Then the men showed up and helped us rebuild the house
These people truly understand community

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a member of the LDS Church here in Texas and have had the opportunity to go out many times and help out after these disasters, I have been to Louisiana several times. It is great to be out there helping others along with the many other faiths and people that donate their time to help out. For those that don't have the time and fill material needs by monetary and goods as donations, you are invaluable as well, it takes everyone.

So to all the Sig Forum members that donate your time, money, kind words, and just about anything that is asked of y'all, thank you for being some of the best folks out there!

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

False. My father owned a lumber yard in south east Idaho when I was growing up. Out competitor was LDS in a predominantly LDS town. We thrived and he went out of business. So much for LDS favoring their own although they can shop anywhere they want. I can name many non LDS businesses in my home town that kicked ass. I think when you use the word universally you should probably talk to more than two people. Maybe the folks you universally talked to didn't know shit about superior products, service, and price? It sounds like they were idiots of the highest order.

Oh, you do realize the Mountain Meadow Massacre happened well over a century ago (1850s), don't you? There's been a little water flow under the bridge since that happened. Do you think there's a possibility of renegade LDS members killing a bunch of people from Arkansas traveling in a wagon train across Utah would be in grave danger?

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:Oh, you do realize the Mountain Meadow Massacre happened well over a century ago (1850s), don't you? There's been a little water flow under the bridge since that happened. Do you think there's a possibility of renegade LDS members killing a bunch of people from Arkansas traveling in a wagon train across Utah would be in grave danger?

What I am saying is the down deep, LDS persons appear to be no better nor worse than anyone else. There are good ones and bad ones. However whenever religious group person come to my door, I am more suspicious of organized religion types than the common person. Personally, I grew up in the catholic religion. Having seen various facets of that religion including it's priests, I would rank them slighly lower than LDS people.

-c1steve