SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Honey, LDS is at the door!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honey, LDS is at the door! Login/Join 
Picture of Fusternc
posted
My parents, who live in the FL panhandle and just went through Hurricane Michael, had TONS of trees down in their very large yard and and some land on the roof.

Well two days ago early in the morning 13 (yes THIRTEEN) guys from the Church of LDS randomly arrived and worked 2 full days clearing trees from my parent’s yard!
They refused any money or donation from my parents.

My family is not affiliated in any way with LDS. Fantastic display of compassion and generosity!
I’m not affiliated with LDS either but might just make a donation anyways.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
The LDS are really fine people. My folks live in a neighborhood that has a majority of LDS families living in the homes. Never any issues of any kind.

Their theology is incredibly convoluted, but the way they live their lives makes for great neighborhoods!

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I have great admiration for the LDS.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
The LDS are really fine people. My folks live in a neighborhood that has a majority of LDS families living in the homes. Never any issues of any kind.

Their theology is incredibly convoluted, but the way they live their lives makes for great neighborhoods!

I agree with your assessment.

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
I spent last Saturday down in Jacksonville, right next to Legeune, going around with 15 other members of my congregation cutting up and hauling trees.

We do more than knock doors.

Growing up in NC I've mucked out plenty of houses and cut and hauled my share of trees. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is organized and efficient. We set up command centers at ward meeting houses that provide info from call centers. Ward members volunteer their time to serve communities that need help. Church headquarters funnels in supplies and food.

It's humbling and rewarding to help and serve. During hurricane Fran my parents lost 40 trees on their property. Our Mormon brigade showed up and made short work of them all. Some of my favorite memories as a teen are going with my dad to help serve. My oldest is seven years, I look forward to having him along to help serve when that help is needed.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1073 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would agree, it seems they put their actions ahead of their words....I am not a religious person but it's not hard to spot true "christian" behavior.

Plus if the balloon goes up I would love a neighborhood of LDS people Wink

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in Utah part time. The LDS faith keeps Utah a very nice place to live. I am far from religious but I very much enjoy living with them. They are helpful, conservative, and for the most part love guns.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never had a LDS member lie, cheat or steal from me.

Make it count

Posts: 1411 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I have been visiting the local LDS church for genealogy help. They have been very helpful even though I am not a member. Unlike the commercial sites such as Ancestry their site is free and accessible by anyone anywhere.

I have also found over the years that while they are doing their public ministry they are very polite and non pressuring unlike some door knocking sects.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I have good friends that are LDS. I have studied their faith and, while I don't agree with much of it, every Mormon I know is an excellent example of Christianity, and they put a lot of mainline Christians to shame.

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As students, LDS guys are known to lie and cheat. I find their emotions are just like anyone else's, but they try to keep things under control. At least on the surface, that is. For young guys it sometimes boils over and out of control. Look up Mormon crimes, or Mountain Massacre.

Look up Elvin Bishop's daughter. She and four others were manipulated, killed, and dismembered by a LDS member, happened 10 miles from where I live. People are people, hemming some people in is not good for their psyche.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
quote:

I agree with your assessment.

I also agree. When I was about 13-14 we were slaughtering a bunch of chickens for our freezer. 3 LDS missionaries stopped by and we told them we were sorry but had no time for them. They promptly took off their coats, rolled up sleeves and went to work. Instead of butchering the 15 chickens we had planned, we & they butchered 50. I seem to recall that they would not take money, but did enjoy a late meal with us. We have been through Salt Lake City several times, and have been impressed with the total environment every time. Spotless city, friendly people, helpful in stores, etc etc.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've not had quite as good of an experience with their denomination as it relates to business dealings. They're business sense often can be best described as "penny wise, pound foolish" in my experience

I'd say the majority are nice and polite, but a fair number are as un-christian as the rest of the denominations.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Nice way to crap on a guys sharing of a little ray of sunshine in an otherwise bleak circumstance for his parents. (to those the shoe fits)

Instead of looking for the smallest crevice to wedge that pry-bar of cynicism, can we not be happy for someone for a good thing?

Fusternc. I am glad for your parents good fortune and assistance from those young people.

I am about an hour away, if they need anything, let me know. I'll try and assist if I can.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I volunteer for American Red Cross and we can provide initial shelter, food and water for a few days and generally are the first to respond following a disaster. The LDS, Amish Relief and Salvation Army are usually close on our heels to provide more hands on aid with clean up and rebuilding. We are always glad to see them arrive as they begin to move families into recovery mode versus the survival mode that we supply. Good folks one and all.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2872 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Uppster
posted Hide Post
There are a lot churches and wonderful organizations down there helping, doing good deeds for no money or glory. God bless them.

God,Guns,Cars,& 1Wife, I would say I have it all.

Posts: 1448 | Location: Independence MO | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
As students, LDS guys are known to lie and cheat. I find their emotions are just like anyone else's, but they try to keep things under control. At least on the surface, that is. For young guys it sometimes boils over and out of control. Look up Mormon crimes, or Mountain Massacre.

Look up Elvin Bishop's daughter. She and four others were manipulated, killed, and dismembered by a LDS member, happened 10 miles from where I live. People are people, hemming some people in is not good for their psyche.

Quite possibly the stupidest fucking thing I've ever seen posted here. I Googled it and don't see anywhere where it says the killer was LDS, but even if he was, what does that have to do with the LDS church? Do you think they sanctioned it? Do explain.

Could be you were just confused by the last name Bishop tossed around in the news stories.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
My parents converted circa 1974. I never got into it, but I have nothing bad to say about them. (Either.) They (the church) helped out when we had some problems.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
We had help from the Mormons after Harvey. They came and delivered food.

A group of Catholic men from Louisiana came in and put in two hard days work helping to demo our flooded house. They were guys my age, 50 and more. We were very grateful.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always said I wanted to have the LDS bicycle concession, but seriously, folks. I see these guys once or twice a year in the neighborhood. I always make it a point to stop and talk with them, as I figure they must get a lot of rejection. They are very polite even when I explain, that trying to convert someone, who has been a Catholic for over 75 years is a losing proposition.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post