SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    No love for the 24hrs of Le Mans
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No love for the 24hrs of Le Mans Login/Join 
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted
This year? I was surprised to not see any threads going yet...

All day coverage on Velocity tv.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried watching it, but it ranks with watching paint dry. Maybe some better commentary would help, but I'm not hanging around.

I attended an endurance race at Road America (Firestone Firehawk Challenge?) in the mid-1980's, we left half-way through, it was so boring.

It's great fun for the drivers and crews, though. Mid-1970's I drove in the BF Goodrich Radial Challenge at Daytona, and it was a blast, even though our car broke pretty early.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I like the Dakar more. But do not watch much of it either. I just like the variation of the terrain and the vehicles and challenges they face.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of radinski
posted Hide Post
The race has lost a lot of gravitas. In LMP1 Toyota has no competition since Porsche and Audi no longer compete. And the organizers have gone way overboard with their balance of performance for the GT cars. Reminds me a little of NASCAR restrictor plate racing, but worse. Also seems extremely stupid to set maximum laps the GT cars can do without a pitstop.

Posts: 274 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: January 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
a lot like the manipulation of watching F1

a sprint to turn one and then nothing but tire management to the end of the race...

its not racing...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53180 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
attending a 24 hour race is different from an indy/nascar race.

Back in the 80's/90's a group of us went to the 24 showroom stock race at Nelson Ledges (Ohio). We camped for the weekend, partied and had a good time. Things were pretty open then, access to pits, etc.

I'm watching the 24 hours right now and my first thought was the team with the best pit stops is probably going to win (GTE Pro, GTE Am). Cars are too equal.

In the old days a multi car team would have some cars run the pace they thought would make it to the end of the race. They one also have one rabbit to go as fast as possible. Today's cars are so reliable that everyone appears to go all out with equal cars. The car that has the edge in BOP (balance of performance) will probably win.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Restrictor plates, pit stop restrictions, ultra-reliability...who would have thought that racing would become so boring!

I quit watching NASCAR about the time the restrictor plates were mandated, partially because of them. It just wasn't the same without Smokey Yunic antics.

And who doesn't like the excitement of a motor blowing in a big way near the end of a race? Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
We need some 1955 excitement...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1955 had too much excitement. 70+ dead. Piece of trivia they did not stop the race. They did not want spectators to clog the roads leaving. They wanted emergency vehicles to have access to the track.

I have been watching the race today off and on and I agree it's boring. The winner will be a Toyota unless something stupid happens like they crash each other.

If a Toyota wins people will say well there was no competition.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't get Velocity TV channel, so watching it is out for me.

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
who would have thought that racing would become so boring!

so is it 'US' or is it 'THEM'???

I've somehow got to the place puttering in the garden is more enjoyable than watching nearly anything on the screen....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a friend that was the transportation manager for a LMP2 team. Went to a few races and enjoyed the days. Sat in the cars at the shop. The LNP1 cars are amazing technology. Racing is a great sport that is understood by few.

Time takes time.

Posts: 84 | Registered: August 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
When I first saw it today I thought "what is up with all the 'blinky' lights?"
Has it always been that way? Kinda annoying to me.

Posts: 22908 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I never cared for the lmp1 cars other than the battles with Audi vs everyone else. I liked the gt pro stuff with the Corvettes and Porsches. Very disappointed to see no on board cameras in the Vettes. That's what I look forward to most. It is kind of boring this year I must admit, pretty sad how things change...

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post