SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody Own a 2009-2014 Acura TSX?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody Own a 2009-2014 Acura TSX? Login/Join 
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted
I am looking for a good work vehicle to do customer visits in all over the South East. My uncle is a Honda mechanic so services are very reasonable. I like the 2.4L has a timing chain and I couldn't find much negative about the car.

If you have any input good or bad, I would really appreciate it.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I had a 2012 TSX with the 4 cylinder engine for a couple years. It was a nice car but that engine really lacked mid range power.

That’s about all I can say about it. Ended trading it in for a BMW 4 series which I still have and absolutely love.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5746 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
My wife has an 11 TSX wagon. Bought it certified w/11k miles in Nov 2012. Has 55k on it now and it's been a typical bullet proof Honda. Marketed in the rest of the world as an Accord Tourer. Made in Japan and imported. 30 mpg hwy and 24 city on regular. Tech package has upgrade stereo that I love to crank. As easy to service as an Accord. Handles quick and is peppy. Wagon has a good backseat and good utility storage with the seat folded flat. Bigger than you think inside and comfortable for my 6' 210lbs. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought mine new in 2010 with the manual transmission and the I4 engine. Been a great car. I drove it for 3 years and then bought my F150. My son drove it after that for about 2 years and then my daughter took it over. She can attest to the fact that it can hit triple digits Eek She is still driving it with about 65,000 miles on it now.

Both kids managed to bounce it off of fixed objects while parking so its had some minor body work done, but it has run like a top the entire time. The interior finishes on the door handles and steering wheel wear more than I would like and the leather interior isn't the greatest, but mechanically the car has been outstanding.

Posts: 1121 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I had, and my daughter still has, a 2005 TSX. Mechanically pretty identical with 2.4 L 4 cylinder.
Great drive, trouble-free. Highly recommended!

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I have the 2010 2.4L auto. I bought it specifically because it has the Honda 2.4L engine with timing chain. We have 210K trouble free miles on it. Wife travels all over Florida for her job.

I've offered to buy the wife a new car for the past two years, but she keeps declining, saying she likes her car, its reliable, its paid off, and she doesn't need a new car. We will probably drive it to 225K or 240K miles before trading it in.... on something with a Honda 4 cylinder engine.

I do ALL of the maintenance myself. Super easy on the Honda. Oil changes, easy. Transmission fluid very easy, brakes and tire rotations, easy as pie.

It did need a new rear wheel bearing (getting loud) at 185K miles, but that was an easy one hour fix in the driveway.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I leased a 2008 & a 2012 (both manuals). Only issue I had was the 2008 ate its rear brakes before 30k miles. It was a known issue, Acura footed the bill.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys for the input! That's what I was looking for. I wanted something comfortable and the 2.4L with a timing chain is a big plus. I was looking at Accord Sports but they command too much money. I also like the size being a little smaller than a full size. I have a 2017 Honda Pilot so I have a big family car.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I drive a Ridgeline and mama has the TSX wagon. That covers the bases pretty well. You probably know this but the 2011 TSX has a donut spare and the 2012 has a can of fix a flat. Otherwise I think the model run is little changed from year to year, same as gen 1 Ridgelines.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
My cousin has a 2012 TSX w/ the 2.4L 201HP I4 engine, and I've driven it many times. It has been trouble-free for her, and I enjoy driving it very much. Only negatives I can think of:
  • Honda/Acura recommends Premium gas.
  • The base model package lacks a rear view camera and front &/or rear sensors, which are common and its price point.
  • The TSX is an excellent daily-driver, but if you are a 'sport enthusiast' driver, then you will probably be a little disappointed compared to driving a BMW, Audi, or even Lexus.
  • TSX has good resale value, which is a pro/con. I think used ones cost more than they should, but of course, when you sell or trade yours in, that's a plus.

Overall, it's a great car, if not a little bland compared to some of its competition. If a Glock is like a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic, then an Acura is a like a Glock w/ an aftermarket trigger, sights, and maybe couple other parts.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, do not get the V6. Acuras and Hondas from those years with the 3.5 or 3.7 are known oil burners.

I have a 2012 MDX now, a "bulletproof" Acura, that burns 3-4 qts of oil between changes. And the dealer tells me that is completely normal. The exhaust pipes look like smoke stacks from a diesel truck and I have to replace the plugs every 15-20k miles. But the dealer says that is completely normal as well. Keep in mind I bought the extended warranty, which I never do, for situations like this, and still I can't get anyone from Acura to help me out. A quart every thousand miles is the limit, and since I am not there yet they refuse to do anything.

This is my second bulletproof Honda product that we bought after all of the problems with our Odyssey. There won't be a third Honda product in my family, I guarantee you that much.

Good luck.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
Whatever you do, do not get the V6. Acuras and Hondas from those years with the 3.5 or 3.7 are known oil burners.

I have a 2012 MDX now, a "bulletproof" Acura, that burns 3-4 qts of oil between changes. And the dealer tells me that is completely normal. The exhaust pipes look like smoke stacks from a diesel truck and I have to replace the plugs every 15-20k miles. But the dealer says that is completely normal as well. Keep in mind I bought the extended warranty, which I never do, for situations like this, and still I can't get anyone from Acura to help me out. A quart every thousand miles is the limit, and since I am not there yet they refuse to do anything.

This is my second bulletproof Honda product that we bought after all of the problems with our Odyssey. There won't be a third Honda product in my family, I guarantee you that much.

Good luck.

My 02 Civic has 198k and still going strong. My 08 Ridgeline had a bad oil control ring at 101k miles. I traded that in for a new Pilot but got a 8 year 120k extended warranty because I don't trust them anymore. We'll see how it goes.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:

Good luck.

My 02 Civic has 198k and still going strong. My 08 Ridgeline had a bad oil control ring at 101k miles. I traded that in for a new Pilot but got a 8 year 120k extended warranty because I don't trust them anymore. We'll see how it goes.

I grew up with truly bulletproof Hondas. My family car was a carb'd Accord that went over 300k miles and I honestly don't know if the oil was ever changed after the 200k mark because it got passed around to so many different people.

Late 90s/early 2000s Civics, like yours, are also amazingly reliable.

Meanwhile my neighbor just had her 2016 Pilot bought back on a lemon law lawsuit. Honda was trying to wait her out so she would drive over the MD limit to make the claim.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Jeff, it is sad. I knew the 9 speeds were garbage (its made by a ZF and they have had issues with other manufacturers). I went with an EX-L RES AWD because the 6 speed is great even though I would have preferred the touring trim. The KA24 is a solid engine so that's why I wanted the TSX, plus it has a timing chain.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
Jeff, it is sad. I knew the 9 speeds were garbage (its made by a ZF and they have had issues with other manufacturers). I went with an EX-L RES AWD because the 6 speed is great even though I would have preferred the touring trim. The KA24 is a solid engine so that's why I wanted the TSX, plus it has a timing chain.

Yup, definitely go with the 4 cylinder! Good luck to you, my friend had a TSX in that same year range and it was a very fun car to drive.