SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I can no longer eat cashews and mangos.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I can no longer eat cashews and mangos. Login/Join 
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I can roll around nekked in poison oak, ivy, sumac, you name it and nothing.

But show me a picture of a mosquito and I will turn into a 170lb red itchy bump.

I love me a pile of mangos and cashews.

I had to learn what poison ivy looked like so I can help my wife avoid it. I could use it like sunscreen and not notice.

I am the same way with skeeters as you...

A long time ago I went on a vacation with my girlfriend and her family to Sanibel Island. Before we left we had to promise we would spend some time with the family. As it turned out we couldn't get away from them...

Finally the last night we were there we told her folks we were going to go to dinner by ourselves on a date. We ate quickly and headed to the beach and proceeded to do what young folks do when they get away from everyone. In just a couple of minutes I was eaten alive in the most delicate places.

We hauled butt back to the condo the family had rented and the entire way back we were trying to figure out what our story would be.

When we got there everyone was surf fishing so I grabbed a rod and headed right out. I held on for 5-10 minutes and then began to complain about being bitten. Her mom really felt sorry for me...

The next day I found out that Sanibel (at least at that time) held the record for the most mosquitoes captured in one trap in a 24 hour period...

Life was miserable the next few days. My girlfriend laughed her ass off the entire time.

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
Urushiol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urushiol

It's what makes poison oak poison oak.

It is found in the skin of the mango, as well as in Japanese lacquer products.

I avoid the skin of the mango and no longer suffer mango mouth.

Depending on your allergy even avoiding the skin may not help. My old house I had 7 mango trees, during mango season I would eat them all the time, never got mango mouth but I would break out in red spots over my body. My mom could not even eat them peeled, (someone else peeling them) would get really bad mango mouth.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
Mangos, very doable but can't quite get a gustatory groove.
Sweet and fruity but with a hint of pine sol.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Yup, urushiol. Or at least a urushiol like compound from what I read. Not exactly the same. I never had poison ivy in my life but not sure I was exposed until one time I was helping a kid with his Eagle Scout project and we were knee deep in the stuff. I didn't think twice about it. 2 weeks later I had blistering gross bubbling legs and it lasted for over a month. I was on prednisone and it hardly helped at all.

The mango mouth and cashew symptoms are less severe but bothersome. The itching problem is more troublesome as it's not the mouth but the other end. LOL

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:

But show me a picture of a mosquito and I will turn into a 170lb red itchy bump.

I'm the same way. Never had an issue with poison ivy, but if skeeters and black flies get me I'm itching and scratching for weeks. Little fuckers should be outlawed.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I didn't think twice about it. 2 weeks later I had blistering gross bubbling legs and it lasted for over a month. I was on prednisone and it hardly helped at all.

Look up "hogweed blisters"... Makes Sumac, poison Oak and Ivy look like a skeeter bite. Truly horrific, looking much like military blister agent.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Potential diet aid here!!!
Wish I could turn into a 170# anything!
Cheaper than Nutrisystems!

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
I love cashews but Im allergic to them as well. Except they don't make my mouth swell its the other end coming out! Man it itch's and burns like crazy down there. I stay away from them now after I figured out what was causing it.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wishbone:
I love cashews but Im allergic to them as well. Except they don't make my mouth swell its the other end coming out! Man it itch's and burns like crazy down there. I stay away from them now after I figured out what was causing it.

Yup, I mentioned that in my other post on this page. For years I didn't know what the hell was causing it. It was so infrequent I never made the connection. I just happened to realize my mouth rash after having mango and did some research. It all makes sense now. I was hoping the roasted cashews wouldn't be a problem because I really like them. But Cabelas also has almonds and pecans so I'll be okay. Big Grin

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

I'm the same way. Never had an issue with poison ivy, but if skeeters and black flies get me I'm itching and scratching for weeks. Little fuckers should be outlawed.

If there was a way to eradicate every skeeter on Earth without hurting ourselves somehow, I'd vote for it, advocate it, and even help with it. Nasty, itchy, little motherfuckers.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know a nurse whose husband got Lyme disease and now he can't eat red meat without having a allergic reaction (tongue swelling, difficulty breathing, the whole 9 yards. So no steak, pork, even a lowly hamburger is a no no.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of people are allergic to mangos.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:

I had a quick flash of a monkey rolling around in poison ivy, covered in mosquito's...
I know, weird. Big Grin

Mangos and cashews just cause me belly to swell... outward.

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
Can't eat cashews? What's the point of even living? And don't say anything dumb like "family" or "mountain sunrises."
You guys never get to see a sunrise over the ocean, where you live. You don't know what you're missing.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
Cashews on Pizza????!!! Dude!!!! Smile
Of course. The best pizzas have cashews and anchovies. Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
That sucks. I eat cashews everyday. On a salad or just a handful. I heard they are good for the heart as well as being very tasty!

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post