SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I can no longer eat cashews and mangos.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I can no longer eat cashews and mangos. Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
Anyone else have this issue. For mangos they call it mango mouth. Cashews are supposed to be alright if roasted. But I just had some from Cabelas and nope. Basically they both have a similar toxin as poison ivy. Causes a bit of a rash on lips and in mouth. Also causes itching. Took me years to figure out what it was and then I realized it was after eating mangos. Google provided the answer and noted cashews as well. I love these foods but can't touch them.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
mango mouth
Could be worse. Could be bacon balls.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Can't eat cashews? What's the point of even living? And don't say anything dumb like "family" or "mountain sunrises."

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I have minor reactions to both but dammit, I love mango and cashews, so until it becomes unbearable, I will continue to eat them. I actually break out with ivy like blisters on my fingers sometimes, making me think that I touched ivy recently. Freaks me out until I remember what I've eaten.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Send cashews my way.....All your cashew are belong to us.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Not a mango fan, but yeah, I'd be bitter if I had to give up cashews. First I heard of these not uncommon reactions.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Urushiol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urushiol

It's what makes poison oak poison oak.

It is found in the skin of the mango, as well as in Japanese lacquer products.

I avoid the skin of the mango and no longer suffer mango mouth.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
I seem to have a very mild reaction in my mouth and tongue when I eat cherries. I don't know why.

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
Urushiol

It is found in the skin of the mango, as well as in Japanese lacquer products.

Beat me to it. It's exactly why you don't want to sand down a Japanese Arisaka stock; their beautiful orange-ish finish (sap from a specific sumac tree IIRC) has this constituent. No joke if you inhale, or make contact with it.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know how I'd handle the cashew thing...love 'em dearly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
That mouth itching can become severe with some folks to include "foaming of the mouth" and restriction of your throat. I'm allergic to almonds, brazil nuts, and cashews and can evidence those symptoms which are absolutely NO fun at all.

I hate restuarants that use almond meal as a thickener and don't disclose it. I carry benedryl as a first line defence but it may not always be enough Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
That mouth itching can become severe with some folks to include "foaming of the mouth" and restriction of your throat. I'm allergic to almonds, brazil nuts, and cashews and can evidence those symptoms which are absolutely NO fun at all.

I hate restuarants that use almond meal as a thickener and don't disclose it. I carry benedryl as a first line defence but it may not always be enough Frown
Do you carry an epi-pen?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only like cashews on pizza, but they don't make my mouth itchy, I just think their the red-headed step child of peanuts.

Bananas, Avocados and walnuts make my mouth mildy itchy. Everybody thought I was crazy until a few years ago I looked it up and found out it was legit.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matai:
I only like cashews on pizza, but they don't make my mouth itchy, I just think their the red-headed step child of peanuts.

Bananas, Avocados and walnuts make my mouth mildy itchy. Everybody thought I was crazy until a few years ago I looked it up and found out it was legit.

Cashews on Pizza????!!! Dude!!!! Smile

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Do you carry an epi-pen?

At one time.... As a septuagenarian with CML and other issues I'm pretty much a home body. My risk for exposure has become all but zip so benedryl it is.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I can roll around nekked in poison oak, ivy, sumac, you name it and nothing.

But show me a picture of a mosquito and I will turn into a 170lb red itchy bump.

I love me a pile of mangos and cashews.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Send cashews my way.....All your cashew are belong to us.

Yes indeed. I offer fresh cashew disposal services, for free.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Sounds almost as bad as thrush of the lips. Which is treatable with Bactroban (Mupirocin) ointment.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Mmmm...Mango...

Razz

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That sucks. I'm the same way with cherries, bananas and pecans. Someone else mentioned avocado. I hadn't ever really noticed that avocado slices give me itchy mouth until I thought about it just now. Guacamole is fine, however.

Food allergies are bullshit. My grandfather had a pecan orchard when I was a little boy and every year, we came home with thirty to fifty pounds of crushed, halved, shelled and whole pecans for helping him pick and process. Pecans became an ingredient in everything they could conceivably be cooked into. I quickly got to a point where they made my mouth and throat itch, and would have asthma attacks. To this day, I hate pecans.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post