SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DC Council takes step towards placing statue of Marion Barry in front of Wilson Building
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DC Council takes step towards placing statue of Marion Barry in front of Wilson Building Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
WASHINGTON (ABC7) — The DC Council has taken a large step towards placing a statue of former Mayor Marion Barry in front of its home.

In a meeting Tuesday, the DC Council Committee of the Whole voted unanimously to a measure that would advance the possibility of adding a statue dedicated to the late mayor in front of the Wilson Building.

DC Council’s Committee of the Whole unanimously approved placing a statue of Former Mayor Marion Barry in front of the Wilson Building. pic.twitter.com/OZxPjjsgCf

— Sam Ford (@ABC7Sam) November 7, 2017

The matter was not actually passed today, Council Chairman Phil Mendelson said because someone forgot to publish it in the city register, as required by law. Mendelson said it is now on the Consent Agenda of non-controversial items that will be passed all together with one vote in the next council session.

That session could come in as little as two weeks.

Link

Some may recall that Barry served time in prison for possession of crack cocaine.

He later had the unique honor of becoming the first elected official in the US to ride to his inauguration in a limousine bearing a license plate he had made.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Will the inscription read "The bitch set me up!"?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was thinking they could let a bitch run the crane during the move between the truck and the pedestal.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
....wait a minute....what about those who will 'feel uncomfortable' being forced to fund and admire a statute of a convicted felon and known drug abuser?

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

I was thinking they could let a bitch run the crane during the move between the truck and the pedestal.

Good one!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Is he gonna be sucking on a crack pipe?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
While in Philly, they want to remove a statue of former Mayor Frank Rizzo.

https://www.usatoday.com/story...ank-rizzo/832309001/

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Black Lives Matter activist Asa Khalif said the city’s (Philadelphia) decision represents “the will of the people, especially those who are black and brown for whom the statue represents generational oppression and violence.”

What the city should do is pull all Police from the heavy black population districts for several days. Give them NO Police presence at all.

Let the animals begin to kill each other. Give them a taste of what is was like in Africa during Colonial days.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
....wait a minute....what about those who will 'feel uncomfortable' being forced to fund and admire a statute of a convicted felon and known drug abuser?
It's DC. Are there any such people there?

Statue should have him sucking on a crack pipe, with his britches around his ankles, with one of his paid whores beside him. Let's strive for accuracy.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bayouman
posted Hide Post
I am offended they would put up a statue of a dope addict in the nations capital.

Bayouman
Never let the enemy pick the battle site.

Posts: 727 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana  | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
What mbinky said .

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I predict someone is going to glue a crack pipe to the statue....you know it's going to happen.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Where's my paintball gun?

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And somewhere, Robert E. Lee is shaking his head in disbelief...

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
It will make a good place for the dogs to take a leak.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Are any of us surprised??? It's DC!

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
Are any of us surprised??? It's DC!

Exactly. I am surprised they have yet to put him in for Sainthood.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
Where's my paintball gun?
Illegal in DC!

Posts: 6455 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Just think of all the opportunities to use the statue to trash the locals. Leave commentaries, dress him up in pimp clothes, paint stripes on the statue. May be like a ghetto amusement park. Honestly, I can’t believe this shit could happen in my country. What kind of “people” would actually look up to that piece of trash. My God, something has to happen soon or this country is in deep deep shit.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Here's the FBI's recording of this twatwaffle's initial arrest in 1990. Turn up the sound and enjoy.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/kKUqUi9Ao1k

"I should have never come up here. I'll be God damned. The bitch set me up. I'll be God damned. Ain't this a bitch? Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post