SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Men of WWII - "The Last Fighter Pilot" - an incredible interview.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Men of WWII - "The Last Fighter Pilot" - an incredible interview. Login/Join 
Picture of redleg2/9
posted
The webmaster of my 2/9 Field Artillery website sent an email with this video: "The Last Fighter Pilot", Captain Jerry Yellin, the man who flew the final combat mission of World War II.

In the email he wrote: "You know that I rarely "send" or "forward" any of the thousands of videos floating around the Internet today.
Today, I will make an exception. This is a video that any combat veteran will relate to."

It brought tears to my eyes.

https://www.facebook.com/Regne...s/10156070029429316/

Take care.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2274 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Wow that brought some tears to my eyes. Amazing man.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I received this video a week or two ago and went to BN looking for the book. No joy

This thread reminds me to order it

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forwarded this to my friend, a retired B/General, whose father flew in the Pacific Theater for all of WWII. Flew CBI, The Hump, bombed Japan from a B-29. I had to warn my friend that I broke down at the end of the video.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
That was some statement by the father of the woman his son married. What an amazing interview.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Wow. His grandchildren have quite a heritage. Thanks for sharing

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quite an interview. Thank you for sharing. I will look for the book.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
My father was part of the American occupation forces in Japan after the war and that's where he met my mother. My mother was a teenager during WWII and lived through the allied bombing. She could not tell the difference between a 747 and DC3 but she knew exactly what a B29 was.
They're both gone now. Thank you for sharing that link.

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
quote:
went to BN looking for the book. No joy

Here is the Amazon hardback and Kindle book: https://www.amazon.com/Last-Fi...r+pilot+by+don+brown

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2274 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The greatest generation. Thanks for the video
clip. The book was just added to my amazon cart and I look forward to reading it.

Posts: 2183 | Registered: July 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Too few people take the time to learn or remember where our country has been and the times it has survived.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Intergalactic Firearms Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark71:
The greatest generation. Thanks for the video
clip. The book was just added to my amazon cart and I look forward to reading it.
Semi-related:

My dad led a B17 squadron on the last combat mission flown against Germany. It was his 3rd mission, flown on the day Germany surrendered.

Yes -- they were the greatest generation.

PersonalDefenseTraining.net

Posts: 100 | Registered: May 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post