Question:
What do you call it now?

Choices:
number sign
pound sign
hashtag
whatever fits the application

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
"Sharp"

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
"Sharp"

I agree - I started learning music before I learned the others. Good Catch

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Amateur Astronomer
Picture of Test1968
posted Hide Post
I was taught it was called the octothorpe, later the pound sign

Alcohol
Tobacco
Firearms

Who brought the chips and dip?

Jim

Posts: 14023 | Location: limbo | Registered: August 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Is it strange that I called it different things depending on context?

For instance, if the instructions were to dial "#277" then I would say "Pound Two Seven Seven" because "number" would sound weird.

But if I wanted to give someone instructions to write "We're #1", I would say "Write We're Number 1, using the number symbol."

Now, if wanted someone to tag a photo with some metadata, then I would call it a hashtag.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Test1968:
I was taught it was called the octothorps, later the pound sign

+1

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
There is also the C# (pronounced "C-sharp") programming language.

I learned to call it number at first. Then pound.
I prefer never to use hashtag.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Octothorpe/sharp/titactoe/hak/pound sign depending on the context.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Always been a pound sign to me. I don’t use Twitter so I don’t even know how the hashtag thing works.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Those who said "octothorpe" are almost correct.

It is "octothorp." No 'e' on the end.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always known it as the pound sign. I don’t hashtag.

Anyone know what this is called? #!

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Octothorp!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Is it strange that I called it different things depending on context?

For instance, if the instructions were to dial "#277" then I would say "Pound Two Seven Seven" because "number" would sound weird.

But if I wanted to give someone instructions to write "We're #1", I would say "Write We're Number 1, using the number symbol."

Now, if wanted someone to tag a photo with some metadata, then I would call it a hashtag.

This is what I do as well. Never did any music so I've never even heard of the octo thing.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Number as in part #

Pound sign on a phone

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
#octothorp

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Octothorp!

The # is

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always thought of it as a number or a pound sign. I'm 43...hashtag "old-old" according to my kids. Roll Eyes Big Grin

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Octothorpe. Do (pronounced like "dough"), the equivalent of 11 in the duodecimal (dozenal) numbering system (which is why it's on the phone dial.)

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
When I was in software development, it was "splat"

! was a "bang"
' was a "tick" " was a "double tick"
$ was a "string"

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
"Sharp"
Oops--forgot about that one!

Never heard of "octothorp", though. According to Wikipedia, when used in Twitter it should only be called "hash"--the "hashtag" is everything including the "#" and what follows it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post