SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What to do in Phoenix, AZ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do in Phoenix, AZ? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
June is breathtakingly hot for someone from a cooler clime. Do indoor stuff only if you want to do something in Phoenix, otherwise, get out of there asap and go to places slightly cooler if possible.

Posts: 309 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Maricopa County/metro Phoenix may still be under mandatory mask requirements by then. Southern counties may be the same. Northern counties have more common sense.

Grand Canyon, historic Prescott, Jerome & Williams will be warm in summer but nothing like the valley of the damned.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Summer in Phoenix...why? Are you desperate for a sunburn or, skin cancer? Your 9yr old will be an endless complaining puddle in the heat

AZ can be split into three segments, pick one as that region can fill your itinerary:
North- Grand Canyon NP, Montezuma Castle, Sedona, Flagstaff, Prescott
Phoenix- Scottsdale
South- Tucson, Old West towns, Saguaro NP

At the very least, land in PHX, pick-up rental car, head to Costco stock-up on ice, drinks and a cooler. Personally, I would head up North, it'll be cooler than the rest of the state and much more tolerable.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now would be a good time to start practicing staying hydrated .
Yes
Even in northern Arizona ,it's important in June, for visitors to be hospitalized for dehydration .

The kids drop first.

I remember one July, they said that 34 people were hauled in too the e.r., nine were hospitalized and two died.

I say, AZ in June ,during a pandemic, . . . . Skip it.

Wait for January in a Buffalo N.Y. instead.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Instead of doing things in Phoenix I'd rent a car and drive south to Tombstone, its just under 3 hours south. Easy drive.

Imagine that a 9 year old would find it a hoot, heck I went two years ago and it was great, old west buildings, places to eat, shows, real horse drawn stage coaches, gun fights.

When will you get back there, and when will he be 9 again... just sayin.... Cowboys, horses, touristy gift shops, the old west, we had a great time I'd do it again

https://www.visitarizona.com/places/cities/tombstone/

Posts: 23445 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Witticism pending...
Picture of KBobAries
posted Hide Post
Lots of great ideas already posted. I’d second Heard Museum, Musical Instrument Museum, Scottsdale Gun Club but only if you want to rent a fully automatic gun. I’ll add Phoenix Mystery Castle. I think a 9 year old would get a kick out of that. Not sure what COVID has done to their hours or tour schedule.

The suggestion to take the back way to Sedona is good as well. Museums in Wickenburg. Some antique shops there and also further on in Yarnell (might be Peeples Valley). Then on to Prescott and Whiskey Row. There’s an outdoor weekend craft market in the courthouse square but again, check to see what COVID has done to that. Then on to Jerome, an old mining town. Then on to Sedona.

How much time do you have between your arrival date/time in Phx and check in at your Sedona hotel?

You could skip the lower half of the back route and drive to Prescott, then Jerome and Sedona.

I’d also recommend renting your own Jeep. They’ll provide you with maps of numerous off-road routes.

Dan

I'm not as illiterate as my typos would suggest.

Posts: 3529 | Location: Big city, SW state, alleged republic | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dubdubu
posted Hide Post
Visit the Arizona Commemorative Air Force Museum

https://www.azcaf.org/

Posts: 68 | Location: St Louis Co, Mo | Registered: November 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
I would say leave Phoenix, drive to Jerome.

Do day trips from Jerome to Prescott, Sedona, and Grand canyon.

Jerome is a mountain top town, that has the best views in AZ.

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2125 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I go to Sedona almost yearly. Usually when we fly into PHX we'll go to the Desert Botanical Garden for an hour or two and then drive up to Sedona. In the summer the heat might get you so it may not be worth spending a day or two. Even for a dry heat 110 is hot. Bring a hat and lots of water and sunscreen.

AZ is great, you'll love it.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well I called four places , to suggest, they are all closed

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Forget Scottsdale Gun Club. They have mothballed their full auto rentals because the ammo is too scarce, and they need to be able to supply their other range members. I don't know if all FA guns are put away, but most of them are no longer out on display.

Posts: 3534 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:

I’m considering a road trip with the family down to Arizona this year. Are the trails a year round thing of something that should be confined to certain months? How “off-road” are they?

Thumper, sorry for the late reply.

The trails are year round. Unless it’s a day that it’s actually raining, which of late, has been pretty much never. (Raining today as I type this). Some of the trails get super slippery when wet, and if it’s a monsoon, you don’t want to be in the washes or gullies when it rains hard.

The trails range from single blue diamond (easy) to double black diamond (very hard). Many of them are not categorized, but when you plan on coming out, let me know. I’ll set you up with a map and trails suited for your vehicle and skill level.

With a good driver and a lifted Tacoma almost every trail is accessible. There are a couple that need a high lift, long travel, rock crawler only. Aside of that, most are good to go. There are a few that you could, and I have seen people take a Subaru Outback or Forester on. I’m sure there were a few scrapes, but it’s doable.

If you want to see some of the trails I have some on my YouTube channel. https://youtube.com/user/beancooker

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a steak at Maestros City Hall on Camelback Road in Scottsdale.

MDS

Posts: 376 | Registered: November 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On your way to Sedona have lunch at "The Asylum" in Jerome, AZ. Spectacular view, it's worth the wait to have a window table.

The Asylum is a converted actual Asylum on top of a mountain that was converted into an excellent restaraunt. The locals in Tucson recommended it to me and we are very glad we made the trip to it. The town of Jerome is worth exploring too if you like craftsy, antiques etc.........

https://www.asyluminjerome.com/new-page

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
You don't want to be in Phoenix in June (you can't be outside) and there isn't enough to see indoors to plan your trip around it. Head north and enjoy Sedona and the national parks you mentioned.

You certainly don't want to come to Phoenix for water activities or lakes as was mentioned as that sucks here compared to North Carolina and other parts of the country.

The best part of Arizona is not in Phoenix so don't waste much time here. The only thing I would do if I was planning a vacation to Phoenix in June is stay in one of the nice resorts (cheaper in summer) for a night or two, enjoy cocktails by the pool and explore Scottsdale and some of the good eats in the area.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
If you're into craft beer, AZ has a number solid breweries to try:

• Wren House Brewing - Phoenix
  • Tombstone Brewing - Tombstone and Phoenix
  • The Shop Beer Company - Tempe
  • Dark Sky Brewing - Flagstaff
  • Ad Astra Brewing - Prescott

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post