SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Progressive bifocals for all-day computer use?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Progressive bifocals for all-day computer use? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I've reached that dreaded point in life where my eyes won't focus closeup anymore. I spend most of my day in front of a computer, and I'm wondering if progressive bifocals is the answer? Anyone use these lenses all day in front of a computer? I'd love to hear how they work.

The doctor also said there's an 'office' bifocal, with a large medium-distance lens and a smaller near-focus lens, but that would mean I'd have to carry two sets of glasses around - one for work, and one for driving. I'm not sure I want to go that route.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
I have a set of computer glasses. The stay in front of my home desktop, unless I need them at my work laptop. Side note I keep a set of Transitions Drivewear in the car. So my progressives stay with me the others stay where they are needed.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I hate progressives for computer viewing. They make me hold my head back at a funny angle, causing my neck to hurt. I switch to straight reading glasses for computer work.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I love mine...some people have a hard time adjusting. I didn't have any problem

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
They make progression lens for computer work the sections sizes are changed. Had the same problem having to lift head to see, they make the mid range larger and a bit higher and they work great, also had them coated for uv protection as well at Costco.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
I like mine. Progressive and photogrey lens.

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I hate progressives for computer viewing. They make me hold my head back at a funny angle, causing my neck to hurt. I switch to straight reading glasses for computer work.
+1,000

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I wear progressive sunglasses all day and can read with them, but for computers or books I use cheapo Costco readers in the lowest power that will get the job done. I think I am up to 1.5 lenses now. I don’t know what they are these days, but I think they used to be something like $10 for a three pack. Shoot, I have a pair at my desk, a pair at my reading chair, a pair that goes in my shirt pocket as part of my EDC, a pair in the mapbox of the airplane. They’re so darned cheap it doesn’t make sense not to have a pair everywhere I might need them.

ETA: I *LOVE* the progressive sunglasses and wear them as much as I can. However, to sit down and read inside? Cheapo readers every time.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Some people like them and some people don’t. Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing what you will like until you try it. I regret the money I spent for progressives 4 or 5 prescriptions ago. Would have been better off buying a new toy.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm using computer glasses tuned to focus at the distance to my monitor. For everything else, regular bifocals work for distance / close.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I'd love some insight to what y'all are calling "computer glasses".

Like OP I crossed into this realm some time ago. First readers, then realized needed something for PC too. Distance vision is perfect.

I've got bifocals that are ~2.0 for reader section and something else for entire upper range. Supposed to have been geared toward making it easier for reading at a very specific distance I gave but it's still not as sharp as I'd like. Both the optometrist and the glasses place seem confused at what I was trying to accomplish - how hard can that be? Not a mall of big box store, actual separate shops.

Any tips on solutions or how you finally got this resolved from others would be great. Hell, I'd be fine with two sets of glasses even if needed - one for PC and other for reading up close.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Computer Glasses are :

1) Single vision set for the distance to your monitor

2) A pair of bifocals ( lined or progressives ) with the top area set for the computer monitor ( ~ 24 inches ) and the bottom is set for reading ( ~ 16 inches )

Depending on your age and demands, you may or may not need the bifocal.

Optometrist here btw.

MDS

PS: I have people literally measure the distance to their monitor and desk and then we go from there.

Posts: 375 | Registered: November 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear progressives, but the warning about neck strain is real. You may need to sit higher to avoid it.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I'd love some insight to what y'all are calling "computer glasses".

Like OP I crossed into this realm some time ago. First readers, then realized needed something for PC too. Distance vision is perfect.

Measure the distance from your glasses to the computer screen, and convert it to meters. Take the reciprocal, and round to the nearest .25 - i.e., 1.25, 1.50, .75 and so on. Now, add algebraically to your distance glasses Rx, and you have the required Rx for your computer. Easy peasy.

Light bender eye mender

Posts: 412 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I have progressive glasses for daily wear. However, most of the day in the office I wear my single-vision computer glasses. I made the switch a few years ago and the eye-strain improvement has been incredible.

Still love my progressives for general use (my sunglasses are also progressive - no contacts for me)...but when spending hours working on a monitor, strongly suggest a good single vision set of computer glasses.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harleysbluff:
Optometrist here
Neither email address nor location in your profile.

Where are you located? Reason I'm asking -- if you're anywhere near me, I need an optometrist I can feel comfortable with.

I need exam / refraction for new prescription following cataract / IOL a year and a half ago, and YAG Capsulotomy this month (OS yesterday, OD next week).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been using computer progressive glasses for over 10 years. My job involved using a desktop computer most of the day. Now that I’m retired I still keep my computer glasses by the computer.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I had progressives for my computer work (I teach accounting in college, do accounting work on the side, spend lots of time in front of a computer).

The progressives were great to properly focus with the slight up and down head movement. Problem was, they had a narrow field of vision, the sides of the monitor were always blurry, so I kept having to move my head left to right as well as up and down. I went back to std bifocals.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
While I was working, I spent at least 8 hours/day in front of a computer screen. The progressives worked just fine for me. As already mentioned some people have issues, I never did because that’s what I started with when I left single vision glasses behind.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Separate pair of glasses that stay at the computer for me.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post