SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Progressive bifocals for all-day computer use?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Progressive bifocals for all-day computer use? Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
The progressives were great to properly focus with the slight up and down head movement. Problem was, they had a narrow field of vision, the sides of the monitor were always blurry, so I kept having to move my head left to right as well as up and down. I went back to std bifocals.

I wore full progressives for years while still working. Good quality lenses (Varilux) have a wider peripheral focus area, and progressives are great for moving from a desktop to a laptop. How well they work for you may depend on your prescription. One with a lot of correction might not work as well for computers as one with less correction.

Now that I am retired, I keep a pair of bifocals on my desk with the main area focused at 28" (yes I sit that far away from a 32" monitor), and with the lower window set to my reading scrip. Coincidentally, the computer focus scrip (28") is the same as what I need for shooting. I prefer both eyes focused on the front sight, so I get single vision lenses with that scrip. They are in a Wiley-X prescription insert that fits inside my shooting glasses.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use trifocals. Middle lense is a little higher than normal and focused at computer range. Works for me.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I wear progressives. Varilux lens. They have a broader band for the mid / computer distance.

Someone did me the "favor" of giving me a less expensive lens. I was bobbing my head up and down to find the sweet spot. So I think that's the difference and the driver for the complaints about progressive lens.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I use progressive 3 zone readers from Foster Grants.
I'm very pleased with them.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
not a fan of progressive lenses here.
I feel I have to give up too much vision with them. I do like as much perifial vision as I can muster.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I LOVE progressive lenses since I am involved in sports and have to switch between near and far vision constantly.

There is a version of progressives intended specifically for computer work, with the "near" vision region expanded and optimized for computer distance. So I have two pairs: one for work and one for general activities.

One caution: There really is a difference between brands. Cheap progressives just don't seem to have as advanced an algorythm for lens shaping as the VARILUX brand, and peripheral vision gets really weird. I tried a couple brands in an attempt to save money, but finally came back to Varilux and am totally satisfied.
https://www.essilorusa.com/products/varilux

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Harleysbluff:
Optometrist here
Neither email address nor location in your profile.

Where are you located? Reason I'm asking -- if you're anywhere near me, I need an optometrist I can feel comfortable with.

I need exam / refraction for new prescription following cataract / IOL a year and a half ago, and YAG Capsulotomy this month (OS yesterday, OD next week).

Costco in Winter Park did mine, two sets, one normal progressive for daily non computer work and a computer lens with coating for desk computer work, makes reading PC, Phone etc better and I can still walk around with them without issue.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use progressives and work on a computer and I love them. My job is such that I get up quite a bit so it's nice to have just one pair of glasses.

The only thing I did was lower my monitor a couple of inches so I'm looking through the lower part of the glasses. Normally your eyes should be right at the center of your monitor.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Costco in Winter Park did mine, two sets, one normal progressive for daily non computer work and a computer lens with coating for desk computer work, makes reading PC, Phone etc better and I can still walk around with them without issue.
Right, I usually use Altamonte Springs Costco to fill the prescription. What I'm looking for is an optometrist who will actually have a conversation with me to do the refraction, write the Rx, understand my needs, instead of just running through the script: "Which is clearer, A or B?"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
They have an Optometrist at Winter Park, I'm not sure about Altamonte Location, they did my script as well as my wife and daughters there.

Costco of course takes anyones script.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
They have an Optometrist at Winter Park, I'm not sure about Altamonte Location, they did my script as well as my wife and daughters there.

Costco of course takes anyones script.
Yeah, I am aware that there is an optometrist at Altamonte Springs. My wife gets her refractions done there.

What I am looking for is an optometrist who will take the time to discuss needs with me, not just try to squeeze a "standard" refraction routine into an xx minute time slot.

I have had a couple of good optometrists like this in the past, but all of them are either in far away places, or are retired.

An optometrist in Boulder CO, who wrote a textbook "The Optometrist's and Ophthalmologist's Guide to Pilot's Vision" was an outstanding guy. I'm not going to travel to Colorado to see him, although I used him when I worked in the Denver area.

Another personal friend in Virginia is retired. Too far, anyway.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

Have your optometrist / ophthalmologist write a specific prescription for computer glasses.

They are different from reading glasses, and different from standard graduated glasses.

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
I wear progressive lens glasses all the time, except for when I am sitting at work in front of a computer all day. My eye doctor recommended “computer” glasses. That was about 10 years ago, I will never go back. I get to the desk in the morning, put on the computer glasses and wear them all day long. They have a focal length that works great for me up to about 8 ft.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have progressive lens.
I was getting some painful neck issues and my doc told me it was from working with the computer with my glasses on.
At that time I was fine if I took them off, now, cannot see well enough for that, so, more neck issues.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
I have a pair for computer work and a pair for everything else. It is what it is, but they work great for me. I'm not a Lasik candidate, so I don't really have any choice.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I love them and never had any issues adjusting to them. 8+ hours on the computer every day. Varilux is what I've been using as well. The only thing I don't like about them is the replacement cost. I sometimes wonder if the cheaper progressives is what others complain about?

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the same problem that I have solved by simply enlarging the text and choosing clear text option. No need for glasses then.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
V-Tail

I’m in St. Cloud, MN.

Good luck

MDS

Posts: 375 | Registered: November 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post