SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why are gun shows "gun free zones"?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why are gun shows "gun free zones"? Login/Join 
Picture of creslin
posted
Seriously? Why?
It makes no bloody sense.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Loaded gun free.

A ND could result in permanently closing the show.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've heard it's required by the insurance companies.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Because idiots

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
D. All of the above.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because theres a lot of utterly stupid gun owners and you have to prepare for the one ding bat that's likely to have a negligent discharge. There's no shortage of incidents where some dummy has a round go off at a gun show so because of a few the majority has to be treated like children. There was a great gun show in my area that doesn't exist anymore because some clown was playing with his carry gun and it went off. Fortunately no one was injured but afterward the facility refused to allow anymore gun shows.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I won't go to them for just that reason.
It's like they're trying to alienate their only clientele.

One of the LGS in my area sent out an email a few weeks ago with this awesome message:

They immediately had a huge uproar of complaints which caused them to send out a follow up email the next day rescinding that message.
People should just stop going to gun shows - then maybe the people hosting them would change their tune....

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Liability concerns.

Posts: 9002 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
Because it turns into Show and Tell .. And they turn into 3rd graders all over again. .

Or it becomes You show me yours and Ill show you mine.. and it becomes Prom night. LOL

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
Seriously? Why?
Don't know about your shows, but at ours, a whole lotta people are armed.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
Seriously? Why?
Don't know about your shows, but at ours, a whole lotta people are armed.

We can't - they have metal detectors you have to walk through in order to even get in.

Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Fudds.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Loaded gun free.

A ND could result in permanently closing the show.

Ours here in Raleigh - I think that's the one referred to in the OP - had exactly that, at the entrance to the show, in 2013.

Oh, yeah and another accidental shooting in 2016, this time in the parking lot.

So....to answer the OP's question, the reason the show went 'unloaded weapons only' is idiots.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've always been Crazy!
kept me from goin Insane!
posted Hide Post
I've been behind the tables for 5 years in that time I've done roughly 200 shows. During that time there has been at least 7 negligent discharges inside the venue and more then a few in the parking lot. I've had 4 handgun trades pulled out of pockets that were loaded and a rifle that was ziptied shut with a round in the chamber cocked and off safe. Additionaly, 2 people have pointed "unloaded" guns at me that turned out to be loaded.

The worst one asked if I had a Ruger LCP, I pointed it out on my table. He reached into his pocket pulled out his carry gun, finger in the trigger guard mag in place and said "no I want one with laser like this". As I'm controlling his muzzle screaming at him to let it go he States "oh and by the way it's loaded."

I don't necessarily agree with the policy, but I'm not surprised. We allow carry in the store but I ask that it remains holstered. In the last 18 months I've had 30-40 guns come in on trade that were loaded. Also have had numerous customers pulled their loaded handgun and want to try holsters.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.
Author unknown

Posts: 2179 | Location: Lyndon,KS | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Because Murphy....

Even the most careful person can have an ND with enough handling. The liability insurance would be astronomical. I was at a gun show last year where an ND occurred. Freaked me right out.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
What is that old adage? There are three times when you're most likely to have an ND. When you loading, unloading, or playing with it.

What do people do all day long with guns at a gun show? I guarantee it's not the first two.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
While it is not really a gun show, I did like that the NRA convention is not a gun free zone.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
It's a tad annoying, but the Puyallup Fairgrounds itself is a gunfree zone, so that's a big reason why the WAC shows don't permit one to be "armed", plus there could be an insurance component.

Though, to be fair, a gunshow would still be a really dumb place to try something overtly nefarious, there's cops all over, uniformed and likely undercover, as well as plenty of folk with guns, that all they need do it snap off that flimsy ziptie, or just plainly ignore the rule about carry and keep it concealed.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I know of two incidents locally in Atlanta, both in the same venue- the North Atlanta Trade Center hosting a Matt Eastman Gun Show.
The first, in the late 1990s, a vendor's wife accidentally shot him in the ass with a .40 caliber Glock. He survived. Perhaps the marriage did not.
The second one, within the last few years, was a child who lost his life after being shot accidentally by a dealer IIRC.

So many people and so many guns concentrated into one place- these rules are necessary.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why are gun shows "gun free zones"?

Hypocrisy, plain and simple.
There needs to be some order but not blanket liberal policy.
I shouldn't be any different than any other area.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post