SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you stop and read roadside historical markers?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you stop and read roadside historical markers? Login/Join 
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted
Over the years I would stop and read ones that had interesting titles, but as I've gotten older, I stop at most of them that I see. I have found that they help tell me the story of my country from a local history viewpoint.

So, anyone else enjoy reading them?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tuckerrnr1,

Posts: 5734 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
No, the only thing we got here are Lewis and Clark markers, and they bore me.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10900 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I learned it is better to pull over to the side of the road when you stop to read them

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
There are a few places I go regularly, several hundred miles away. I have often thought it would be cool to stop and read the ones along those routes. But I always get caught up in the “getting there”.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Yes. A lot of them around Texas are related to the Texas Revolution and that is cool.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
It depends on how much of a hurry I'm in.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
It can be cool. Stopped by an old Spanish adobe church in New Mexico that is decades older than the United States and still having services!

Posts: 1088 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, but I wish I did. I used to live near Barrington, IL and unknowingly drove by the site of the shootout in which FBI Agents killed Baby Face Nelson. I hear there's a marker there, and I enjoy that history.

On the other hand, family legend relates that one of my Uncles put a sign in front of his home in Lexington, MA during the Bicentennial Celebration, saying it had been the home of "The Patriot Isaac Newtosig, who, upon hearing the Alarm, fortified himself with rum cake and retired early, arising refreshed and ready for Battle on the Morning of the 20th."

I never saw that sign, either.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9143 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
Yes...Love to learn the history in the area. Being semi retired helps with the time to stop.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Yes, I enjoy reading them whenever I can.
But, I was a History major, so I feel I might not be the target audience for your question. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: craglawnmanor,

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Depending on the trip, yep. If it's a road trip to have fun, absolutely. If in a hurry to get somewhere like moving to Alaska, unfortunately I missed a lot.

So 2 years ago we made the daddy/daughter road trip up to Colorado. Somewhere along I-40 east of Holbrook we watched a car in front of us pull off to the side of the road, drivernbail out, run to the back of the car, drop trou and take a dump right there on the side of the interstate without even bothering to look for a bush or a rock. My daughter and I could not stop laughing for miles.

My daughter being a history geek and a smart ass for the rest of the trip any time there was a historical marker on the side of the road would say,

"Hey dad, what famous person took a dump here?"

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Depending on the trip, yep. If it's a road trip to have fun, absolutely. If in a hurry to get somewhere like moving to Alaska, unfortunately I missed a lot.

So 2 years ago we made the daddy/daughter road trip up to Colorado. Somewhere along I-40 east of Holbrook we watched a car in front of us pull off to the side of the road, drivernbail out, run to the back of the car, drop trou and take a dump right there on the side of the interstate without even bothering to look for a bush or a rock. My daughter and I could not stop laughing for miles.

My daughter being a history geek and a smart ass for the rest of the trip any time there was a historical marker on the side of the road would say,

"Hey dad, what famous person took a dump here?"

Didn't even put the car between he and the road?

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I was asked for some comments when I retired and I said that I now hoped to stop at all such markers. I don't, but try to.

Just last week, I was driving through Arkansas and Louisiana and saw a few markers, but there was no notice that they were coming and I was unable to stop in time.

I did see one large sign in Arkansas about a Japanese/American internment camp from WWII.

Posts: 5615 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I've read most of our NH ones since my family started coming here 50 years ago (escaped CT in 1980).

NH Markers

I tried to stop and read TX ones when we were there in January but hated slowing down from 75 mph on the secondary roads. Big Grin

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I have time. Not so much the road side ones but I do the pedestrian ones. Just went to Alamo for the first time last month and walking around Oklahoma City I read some that explained the origin of sooners. Cool

Posts: 7448 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
On a leisurely drive diagonally across Kansas on a two-lane state highway, I'd stop every hour or so to read of another pioneer family who homesteaded the area.

Is that state always so windy? Smile

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Yes, frequently. As you might expect, there's a lot of them in the eastern end of Virginia.

Check out the Historical Marker Database, it's pretty interesting.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
In Virginia the road side markers of historical events are a big deal. But some make little sense.

An example:

General McCellan raised
The Union Army
Towards the media
He got all smarmy
Burma Shave

and

Ambrose Burnsides' Bridge
Georgian Rebels on the ridge
Union soldiers carried the day
When Confederate soldiers, at last gave way
Burma Shave

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31426 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Maybe check the spelling of your title... Big Grin

Some of them are interesting...

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
We have some cool ones in my state.

This one is in Philly, near Penn's Landing:

This one is also in Philly, on Market Street, known as High Street in Franklin's era:

Posts: 33760 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post