SIGforum
Lions eat three poachers

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/6410089344

July 09, 2018, 09:29 PM
justjoe
Lions eat three poachers
To me, trophy big game hunters are no better than poaches.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."
July 09, 2018, 09:31 PM
tatortodd
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
Why go there? It's completely off topic and borderline trolling.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
July 11, 2018, 06:27 PM
egregore
quote:
How do you figure that? These kinds of hunts are sanctioned and regulated by the government of the host country. The meat and whatever else is usable go to the local people. If you hunt or fish, don't you want to shoot the biggest buck or catch the biggest fish? If it makes you feel better, sometimes the dangerous game wins.
July 11, 2018, 06:35 PM
Scoutmaster
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
How do you figure that? These kinds of hunts are sanctioned and regulated by the government of the host country. The meat and whatever else is usable go to the local people. If you hunt or fish, don't you want to shoot the biggest buck or catch the biggest fish? If it makes you feel better, sometimes the dangerous game wins.

You make sense.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944
July 11, 2018, 06:38 PM
TigerDore
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

Plus the exorbitant fees they charge for the hunt go toward conservation efforts, actually helping to preserve the various species. It is an excellent boon to the local economy as well.

July 11, 2018, 10:17 PM
wrightd
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I wish more of them met up with those hard-looking African game wardens with AKs and FN-FALs.

Long time ago there was a TV news show, along the lines of a 60 minutes or 20-20, don't recall, but the reporter followed an African game police officer sneak up on a poacher and shoot him in the back with an old full length iron sighted battle rifle at relatively close range. The poacher was DRT. The officer had been officially sanctioned to kill poachers on sight, and he had done it many times. It was a little creepy watching that, but that was his world and he took his job seriously. After he killed the poacher, he didn't look at or retrieve the body. He and the reporter were in tall grass and he wanted to stay hidden no matter what. Never seen anything like that before or after, was surprised the company of that reporter aired it on US television. That was a strange story, and never heard anything about it again. That was one weired show. No papers, no warrant, no verification, no investigation, no interview, never saw the criminal before, no due process of any kind. If I recall is was some bananna type local govt. That's hazardous duty. I think I rember the reporter ending the show and getting out of dodge with haste. I think I had a couple nightmares after watching that.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster
July 11, 2018, 10:32 PM
wrightd
quote:

You must be jesting. If I shoot a small deer and eat it, it's a small trophy to me. If I get lucky and shoot a real trophy, I must then be a poacher. Trophy hunters are nothing more than regular hunters who spend more time, effort, and money searching for the best game. And many are fine human beings, you may know some of them, they just haven't told you their hobby.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster
July 11, 2018, 10:56 PM
dsiets
The fences aren't so much to keep the big game in for hunting. It's to keep the GD poachers out. The poachers didn't get eaten outside the fence. They got eaten after breaking through it.
July 11, 2018, 11:15 PM
dsiets
quote:

It's despicable isn't it? So how much have YOU contributed for their protection?
I'm no friend of Ted's but he does explain why certain groups of hunted animals are on the rebound from extinction.
http://www.tednugent.com/save-a-rhino-eat-a-rhino/