SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amazon Area Manager
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon Area Manager Login/Join 
posted
Anyone know or have any experience with this position?

I've read a lot of negative things about the job - long hours, overworked, toxic leadership, no life outside of the job, etc.

Pay seems to be good but not sure if the job's worth applying for.

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jc91087:
Anyone know or have any experience with this position?

I've read a lot of negative things about the job - long hours, overworked, toxic leadership, no life outside of the job, etc.

Pay seems to be good but not sure if the job's worth applying for.

I wouldn't know about toxic leadership but for the rest, they're not paying you to be on a resort. I'm not trying to be snarky; I think it's just what it is now a days.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure there's any job I would want to do for companies that are so notorious for mistreating their people (Amazon, Tesla etc).

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
For a company that's allegedly so abusive, they don't have a half bad rating on Glassdoor: Amazon reviews on Glassdoor

Ratings appear to be trending up, too.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
"Cons - You have to be self motivated. NO ONE will hold your hand and tell you that you're doing a great job. If you need constant affirmations from management, this company isn't for you."

That isn't a con, that is real life bitches!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a large rebuild job a while back for an Amazon area manager in Kentucky after their house suffered a bad water damage. I never saw him, just his wife over the course of 2 months. She said that Amazon moves them every twoish years. They were in their 4th or 5th state in about 10 years time. Amazon paid well for it was an expensive house and she didn't work, but I could tell it was hard on their home life.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
So it's kinda like being in the military, MattW? Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Brother worked for AWS for a number of years in Sales, very successfully. While financially rewarding he was always on the road, or stressed out by the demands put on him.

His complaint was there was no professional growth plan, even after he spoke with his superiors to put one together. He has 2 MBA's from 2 top 10 B-schools

He got hired by Google and left. Says the business culture is night and day

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
From everything I've heard about Amazon, I'd never work for them, as anything from a warehouse drone to technical professional. The work their employees to death.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
I know several people who work at Amazon dealing very closely with warehouse staff and all levels of management. Every bad thing you’ve read above is true. Long hours, poor management, constant movement to progress, extremely high turn over rate, etc. If you need a job you need a job there’s worse places to work, but if you want a career look elsewhere. It’s been my experience that most do after Amazon burns them out.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBAR15:
I know several people who work at Amazon dealing very closely with warehouse staff and all levels of management. Every bad thing you’ve read above is true. Long hours, poor management, constant movement to progress, extremely high turn over rate, etc. If you need a job you need a job there’s worse places to work, but if you want a career look elsewhere. It’s been my experience that most do after Amazon burns them out.

Being prior Military, I'm trying to decide if it's people just not used to working long hard hours or truly a crappy place to work. Starting to look like the latter unfortunately.

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apply. If you get an interview, you can decide for yourself. Might be idiots, might be great. If not, you're no worse off than you are now.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Their hiring needs some improvement.

Amazon delivery truck overturns in Danbury; ICE holding driver in custody

http://www.unionleader.com/Ama...ng-driver-in-custody

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
From everything I've heard about Amazon, I'd never work for them, as anything from a warehouse drone to technical professional. The work their employees to death.

That is consistent with what I have heard. Their profit margin on sales for the past 6 yeas averages $0.70 profit on $100 sales. They have to shave costs everywhere they can (except at the top of course Smile )

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
For a company that's allegedly so abusive, they don't have a half bad rating on Glassdoor: Amazon reviews on Glassdoor

Ratings appear to be trending up, too.

Part of me wonders if they're paying people to put up fake reviews to repair their bad image.

I wouldn't put it past them.

With all the bad things that have been said, I would pass on them. You don't need that type of bullshit in your life.

Toxic leadership is the worst. You can deal with a lot of work, you can deal with bad customers/clients. But dealing with toxic leadership is a battle you can't win. I believe that comes from the culture of the company because higher ups allow that to happen.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You’ll work old school. They don’t suffers fools or excuses. If you need affirmations, safe places or PJ.s to work in, Amazon wouldn’t be a good choice. Although I don’t work there, I wish more places had this work ethic.

Posts: 1451 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jc91087:

Being prior Military, I'm trying to decide if it's people just not used to working long hard hours or truly a crappy place to work. Starting to look like the latter unfortunately.

I'm prior military, unless you're talking about doing 3 days patrol in some conflict area, military long hard hours do not compare to private sector long hard hours.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Shoot, give it a try. There are an awful lot of people out there that love Amazon so I doubt they are going anywhere soon.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Had some acquaintances involved with a project there. "Fragging" between teams was required.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post