SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apparently I Suck At Customer Service
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apparently I Suck At Customer Service Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Absolutely. Something could have been set on top of it, which is why "Do Not Stack" was painted on the crate. They could have dropped it, which is why "Fragile" was painted on the crate. They could have also set it up on its end, side, or upside down causing the door to put the pressure on the handle against the crate which is why "This side up" with an arrow were painted on the crate.

How many languages did you use?

(Swahili, Itliano, Francais, Mexicano and Espanolio, Nirobian, etc?)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
i think I would either of included insurance in the price or required proof of insurance prior to shipping it.

I couldn't do either one. I couldn't insure it because I wasn't the one shipping it. I also have no ownership interest in it.

Same with the proof of insurance. Once he paid for it it's his. I can not place any restrictions on what he does with his private property.

All I can do, and did, was tell him how we usually do things suggesting he do the same.

quote:

I have found that people don't read those things anyway. For all I know the damage was done as it was sliding around in a cargo container as it crossed the ocean. I'm sure nobody did anything on purpose, but since nobody was with it or conducted any sort of periodic inspection, we have no idea how it happened.

And absent the threats, I would have gladly had the broken piece replaced at my cost. I just wasn't going to pay for their damage out of my pocket.

I don't know how the paint damage would be rectified. I'm assuming there aren't many high end body shops near where this door ended up.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

I have found that people don't read those things anyway. For all I know the damage was done as it was sliding around in a cargo container as it crossed the ocean. I'm sure nobody did anything on purpose, but since nobody was with it or conducted any sort of periodic inspection, we have no idea how it happened.

You see, you forgot to put it in a language which sailors can understand.

"Hey fucktard - this end up, like your ass when you're sleeping."

Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
You could of made it a prerequisite while you still owned it, right?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19161 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
You could of made it a prerequisite while you still owned it, right?

I stopped owning it once he purchased it for restoration way back at the very beginning. At that point I have custody of it and am responsible for anything that happens to it. It would be covered under one of my "property of others" policies that I carry.

On that same token the shipper assumes responsibility once they take custody. The problem is that their responsibility is very limited (this is true with any product you ship) unless you buy supplemental protection.

This is why when a regular shipment is made not much attention is paid to anything. When a high value item is shipped insured everybody wants photos and to physically inspect everything prior to them loading it on their truck.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
quote:

You see, you forgot to put it in a language which sailors can understand.

"Hey fucktard - this end up, like your ass when you're sleeping."

Big Grin

Wait. I thought sailors signified something important, or even true, with, “Now this is no shit!”

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a1abdj- this is when I guess you have learnt a lesson. That is, never do business or ship to folks in Africa or to anyone in the Indian sub-continent. That is because in those societies, people are out to scam you for every penny. Dont ship anything to Namibia or any other shithole country.
I am an immigrant from India, and I refuse to ship items to friends and relatives back in India. Bitches want me to ship Levis jeans, bottles of Old Spice after-shave, and other stupid stuff to them.. But I bet they will try to scam me out of my money everytime.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
sidss1,
Not doubting you at all, but that's quite an indictment.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
sidss1,

Well, maybe not an indictment, but merely an example of Benjamin Franklin’s cat who, having jumped on a hot stove, no longer jumps on cold ones either.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
The photo/video documentation, accelerometers, and seals might be a future good practice if you decide to ship something like this in the future.

When I ship something I make sure it's insured. This includes when I ship it for a customer. In this particular case, mostly due to it being exported, the customer took care of everything. I simply restored the door and crated it.

All shipping arrangements, payment, and insurance (or in this case lack of) was arranged by the buyer. Lucky for me I take photos of everything, so I can prove its condition prior to his guys roughing it up. I don't know why he wouldn't insure it. It was going half way across the US, all the way across the Atlantic, and then up into Africa. If something was going to get torn up this was the trip it was going to happen on. Trucks, boats, and Africans. What could go wrong?
Sounds like you have the photos covered, but I wanted to emphasize the accelerometer.

Check out these ShockWatch® 2 impact indicators which are single use, go/no-go devices that determine if your crate has been dropped during transit or in storage. uline.com sells them for a little under $3 each when you buy a carton of 50 and another $.10 for the companion labels and alert tape.

They also make TiltWatch XTR which is single-use tip indicator used to monitor goods that must remain upright. Uline.com sells them by the carton of 100 and they're like $1.35 each and they sell companion stickers that end up $0.35 each.

We occasionally use these in oil & gas projects where we're buying goods from all over the globe and having them shipped to our projects (many are in the 3rd world).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Tough situation. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I see your side, and I see his side. He is pissed that it arrived damage. You know it was fine when it left your business. 6 months in limbo in various ships, warehouses, and its amazing the damn thing even arrived.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Tough situation. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I see your side, and I see his side. He is pissed that it arrived damage. You know it was fine when it left your business. 6 months in limbo in various ships, warehouses, and its amazing the damn thing even arrived.

I fail to see his side at all. The fault here seems to lie completely with himself and the shipper.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
sidss1,

I’ve got a friend from Pakistan that says the same thing. He said getting anything delivered in that part of the world is a gamble with horrible odds.

Posts: 13741 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
The best part of this thread is I now know about both Shockwatch and Tiltwatch stick on devices. Very cool. Not sure I'll ever use them of course....

Neither would likely have helped the OP since they'd have never been acknowledged from halfway around the world, no matter what they indicated.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12408 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Absolutely. Something could have been set on top of it, which is why "Do Not Stack" was painted on the crate. They could have dropped it, which is why "Fragile" was painted on the crate. They could have also set it up on its end, side, or upside down causing the door to put the pressure on the handle against the crate which is why "This side up" with an arrow were painted on the crate.

Clearly he using Italiano, everyone knows Fra-gilly, duh! Big Grin

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
Tell the guy if he can track down the Nigerian prince that owes you millions he can take the repair money out and send you the rest. I think that's a fair deal.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1905 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
that is because in those societies, people are out to scam you for every penny.

I think you may be onto something, but it involves a different geographical region.

I believe this gentleman is from the UK and the Namibia address is some sort of hunting lodge. He has an address here in the US too.

Washington DC. Another part of this world where the inhabitants are out to scam us for every penny. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
quote:
sidss1,

I’ve got a friend from Pakistan that says the same thing. He said getting anything delivered in that part of the world is a gamble with horrible odds.

Leemur- your friend from Pakistan is 100% correct. Anything sent via USPS is immediately stolen by the Indian Customs guys, or the Indian POstal Service guys, whoever gets to the package first. Anything sent via FedEx or UPS, is likely going to be stolen by the Indian Customs guys. Heck, according to the data published by the Indian Parliament, they said that about 60 to 70% of packages or shipments or bigger items ( such as the equipment shipped to Namibia) is stolen by Indian Customs or the Indian POstal service guys.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
So the wealthy african prince that keeps sending me emails decided to keep his fortune and you're the one that sold him the vault that changed his mind?!

Shucks I missed the boat.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
The best part of this thread is I now know about both Shockwatch and Tiltwatch stick on devices. Very cool. Not sure I'll ever use them of course....

Neither would likely have helped the OP since they'd have never been acknowledged from halfway around the world, no matter what they indicated.

We used to use these all the time, and you're correct... most shippers ignore them. We'd just end up having to send a tech out to inspect the equipment at the arrival point, but at least we could usually bill the client for it.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post