SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Observatory is Built...Big Picture Warning
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Observatory is Built...Big Picture Warning Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
just finished installing the dome about an hour ago.

all of the interior electrical and lighting is done, it gets tied to the house tomorrow

telescope gets installed next week

can't wait to get first light

I have a photo log of the construction but I need to reduce all the pictures in size.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
That is very cool! I would love to be able to check out stars and planets with something like that.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Wowie!!!! Now that's a man shed right there. Smile

A lot of hours are soon to be spent, stargazing ... sigh.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
How deep did you pour concrete for the scope mount?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It's pointed the wrong way...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the footers are 3' X 3' X 3' with rebar, and then adobe block to raise the deck to 18" minimum above the grade

the slope of the land actually drops almost 12" across the diagonal.

The telescope pier itself is separate and there is a hole in the floor so I can walk around inside the building and not shake the telescope. I need to get the steel pier constructed but won't know the height of the tube column until I get the scope inside.

It needs another coat of black paint on the inside to kill all the reflections.

once I get power to the shed, there will be a motor that will control the dome so it will actually follow the telescope and always keep the shutter open to the target.

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that is cool!
Having to get the telescope inside before to confirm height so you can finish the tube (concrete?) for the telescope base? Tight quarters for doing this work around the telescope, potential for damage?
Just curious cause it appears that you have already put a lot of time and effort into this!

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
yes, sounds a bit counter-intuitive but I need to find out how high to make the column so that the polar axis has a line of sight to Polaris - and it also needs to be high enough so that I don't mask too much of the horizon

I can guess to within about 6 inches but I want it to be as accurate as I can get it

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Aaah, Tyco Brahe.....

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
When do you anticipate / plan "first light"? Any target goals for it?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16207 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Looking good, Greg! Keep us updated!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38672 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
haven't thought that far ahead for targets

easy one - Jupiter

tougher - maybe Andromeda

who knows

I do want to do an entire Messier list

Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Wow! That's really neat!

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who knew that they had hunky male models in Arizona ?

anything in the plans for cooling that ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Now that is something! Looks nearly as big as the one at Phoenix College when I took astronomy many years ago.

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
Wow! That's really neat!

Yeah, freaking awesome!

I'd be happy with a $400 Tasco and a place away from city lights.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Nice.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Very nice work! Cannot wait to see the telescope installed.

Posts: 8618 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Really nice. I'm a bit envious.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Looks like some fun evenings ahead!

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post