SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do I secure my Brother printer?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do I secure my Brother printer? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
My Brother laser printer is on my wireless network. Somehow it is accessible by others on the internet, mostly from some guy trying to raise awareness using the name "Stackoverflowin"

It causes the printer to randomly print gibberish.

Searching comes up with thousands of pages talking about the hack, but no suggestions how to secure the device.

Anyone here have a simple solution?

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
What kind of security do you currently have on your network? Hopefully WPA2, but if not, what protocols does your printer support? Do you have the latest firmware?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Try this, found here:

https://nexusconsultancy.co.uk...part-flaming-botnet/

What next.. Close port 9100, 361, 515, 8080, 80 and 443 if open
1.Visit your router/firewall webpage normally http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.1.254 *if you can’t find this open command prompt and type ifconfig then enter. Use the default gateway address to get into the control panel.
2.Login to the router
3.Find an area of the router called one of the following: NAT / Network Address Translation / Open ports / Port forwarding
4.Delete/disable the rule that points to your printer *if it’s not there proceed to the next step
5.Find an area of the router called: DMZ and ensure this isn’t pointing to your printer either.

Posts: 11158 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Recent Netgear router using WPA2-PSK

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Recent Netgear router using WPA2-PSK

So the guy is going direct to your printer then. It has to have a public facing ID somewhere. Find that and kill it per Skull Leader's suggestion. That's the best I have. Unless there's an option for MAC filtering on the printer itself. Then it wouldn't matter.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
The articles mention “targets printing devices that have IPP (Internet Printing Protocol) ports, LPD (Line Printer Daemon) ports, and port 9100 left open to external connections.”

I do not have any ports forwarding to my printer in my router settings.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
The articles mention “targets printing devices that have IPP (Internet Printing Protocol) ports, LPD (Line Printer Daemon) ports, and port 9100 left open to external connections.”

I do not have any ports forwarding to my printer in my router settings.

Is uPNP enabled?

Posts: 5160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I've set up my Brother printer wired to the router, and shut off direct WiFi on the printer.
This way they have to be on my network, and while not impossible, it won't be easy.
I currently live in a larger apartment building, and know there's some kids that have messed with others unsecured networks. So far, they've been unable to hit any of my stuff.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Go to Shields Up website and do a self scan from your computer to see if any ports are open including 9100 while the printer is turned on. You may need to do a targeted scan for 9100 entering the port number in custom port probe in addition to common ports. There is also a UPnP exposure scan.

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post