SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Galileo was right! From JAllen
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Galileo was right! From JAllen Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/E43-CfukEgs

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Physics is cool.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
this was also done on the moon by astronaut David Scott during an Apollo 15 EVA - watched it live

much better video Smile this one

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Really enjoyed that. Broke up an otherwise crummy work day, thank you!!

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember watching it, too, and even though I knew what the outcome had to be, I still got a thrill out of it! Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
That experiment has been verified numerous times over the years, but that one was very nice.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool stuff.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Total nerdgasm!

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That is a great video.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. The whole science of it and this observing of it.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
That experiment has been verified numerous times over the years, but that one was very nice.

flashguy

Yeah, I agree, but I was most interested in Einstein's take at the end, but the video ended.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Great video. Largest vacuum in the world is in Cleveland, go figure.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

Yeah, I agree, but I was most interested in Einstein's take at the end, but the video ended.

Equivalence Principle. Short take - the laws (physical principles) of gravity (whatever that might be), are independent of an object's location or velocity (Strong Equivalence Principle) in space or time. Somewhat modified when dealing with very large bodies (like the Earth), that have tidal effects, but essentially the Earth, the feathers and the bowling ball are all accelerating toward each other in a precisely defined manner and path, independent of the physical nature of each of them. Whew! My head always hurts when thinking about relativity and cosmology. Real physicists can weigh in, but the universe of all we know is almost certainly screwier than we can know. Imagine showing a chimp (apologies to SM, but really, our closest kin on this ball) the inner workings of a modern jet engine, and trying to fathom the conclusions it might reach as to its purpose or origin (beyond big shiny hard thing, not good to eat). And although you might show said chimp every single bit of said engine, its analysis can never progress much beyond that.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Awesome video! Thanks for sharing

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Thanks – neat video. Einstein’s theories of special and general relativity were far more profound and astounding, and no experiment to date has found any flaw in them.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Great video! Galileo was right! Bowling balls fall really slowly in a vacuum, as proved by the video. Big Grin

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Who knew Galileo was a bowler? Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post