SIGforum
Galileo was right! From JAllen

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/6410030744

September 14, 2018, 12:51 PM
PHPaul
Galileo was right! From JAllen

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/E43-CfukEgs

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
September 14, 2018, 01:01 PM
Gustofer
Physics is cool.

September 14, 2018, 01:50 PM
nhtagmember
this was also done on the moon by astronaut David Scott during an Apollo 15 EVA - watched it live

much better video Smile this one

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

September 14, 2018, 02:43 PM
LBAR15
Really enjoyed that. Broke up an otherwise crummy work day, thank you!!

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu
September 14, 2018, 02:45 PM
newtoSig765
I remember watching it, too, and even though I knew what the outcome had to be, I still got a thrill out of it! Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18
September 14, 2018, 03:16 PM
flashguy
That experiment has been verified numerous times over the years, but that one was very nice.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth
September 14, 2018, 03:50 PM
Powers77
Cool stuff.
September 14, 2018, 03:56 PM
Ryanp225
Total nerdgasm!
September 14, 2018, 07:08 PM
jhe888
That is a great video.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
September 14, 2018, 07:33 PM
dsiets
Beautiful. The whole science of it and this observing of it.
September 14, 2018, 08:20 PM
Skins2881
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
That experiment has been verified numerous times over the years, but that one was very nice.

flashguy

Yeah, I agree, but I was most interested in Einstein's take at the end, but the video ended.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
September 14, 2018, 08:44 PM
08 Cayenne
Great video. Largest vacuum in the world is in Cleveland, go figure.
September 14, 2018, 09:40 PM
Doc H.
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

Yeah, I agree, but I was most interested in Einstein's take at the end, but the video ended.

Equivalence Principle. Short take - the laws (physical principles) of gravity (whatever that might be), are independent of an object's location or velocity (Strong Equivalence Principle) in space or time. Somewhat modified when dealing with very large bodies (like the Earth), that have tidal effects, but essentially the Earth, the feathers and the bowling ball are all accelerating toward each other in a precisely defined manner and path, independent of the physical nature of each of them. Whew! My head always hurts when thinking about relativity and cosmology. Real physicists can weigh in, but the universe of all we know is almost certainly screwier than we can know. Imagine showing a chimp (apologies to SM, but really, our closest kin on this ball) the inner workings of a modern jet engine, and trying to fathom the conclusions it might reach as to its purpose or origin (beyond big shiny hard thing, not good to eat). And although you might show said chimp every single bit of said engine, its analysis can never progress much beyond that.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"
September 15, 2018, 11:06 AM
Ozarkwoods
Awesome video! Thanks for sharing

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
September 15, 2018, 11:33 AM
Pipe Smoker
Thanks – neat video. Einstein’s theories of special and general relativity were far more profound and astounding, and no experiment to date has found any flaw in them.

Serious about crackers
September 16, 2018, 12:34 AM
sjtill
Great video! Galileo was right! Bowling balls fall really slowly in a vacuum, as proved by the video. Big Grin

September 16, 2018, 11:03 AM
vthoky
Who knew Galileo was a bowler? Razz

God bless America.