SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Range Rover Sport - The Dragon Challenge:
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range Rover Sport - The Dragon Challenge: Login/Join 
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
that ad made me recall a segment on Top Gear where one of them drives something 4x4 up the face of a dam. It gets really steep, then really really steep. IIRC they ended winching whatever it was up AND down the nearly vertical portion of the dam.

Wonder if that ad was taken during actual 'freestyle 4x4 climb' or in some augmented/hidden assist mode.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
There were guy wires to keep it from flipping or sliding sideways off the stairs but there was no external assist to the drivetrain.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
The doctor (cardiovascular surgeon) who lives down the street from me always quips that he spends more time per year in my 17 year old Ford truck being driven back and forth from the dealer than he does in his Range Rover. Smile Of course when I asked him why he keeps driving Range Rovers, his answer was two fold. One, the practice pays for it. And two, it 'fits' in in the parking lot. Different strokes I guess.

I keep joking with him that if I'd signed up with Uber and charged him for the trips (which I never would), he'd have financed a new truck for me. Razz

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
I'm completely amazed that it lasted long enough to make it. The Range Rover is THE most unreliable car to set rubber on the road since the development of the motorised vehicle.

I wouldn't have any of them as a gift.

They make running a Ferrari look like a bargain.

tac

Agree 100%. Give me a Landcruiser any day.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not an exaggeration. My friend had a Land Rover. The transmission actually dropped off the car at a stoplight.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
Not an exaggeration. My friend had a Land Rover. The transmission actually dropped off the car at a stoplight.

Just look at re-sale valuations on any Rover just a few years after they are born. Then look at Landcruiser valuations.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
How did they get it down?

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Visually cool but hardly a demonstration of a robust 4x4 system. My 2003 Wrangler Rubicon could idle up and down those steps in 1st/Lo and locked.

As far as LR, yeah my 5 year experience in a 2001 LR Disco II was a total and complete frustration (from small stuffs like overhead cabin light buttons falling off (2nd day of ownership of a brand new LR), stuck coin tray (multiple times), powered door lock fails, to heavy stuffs like multiple occurrences of the infamous "Christmas tree" which cost several thousands to fix, each time. Biggest mistake was that we declined the $3500 100K extended warranty while still eligible.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The new Land Rover Discovery (the new "LR5" not the Discovery Sport), seems to check all of my "want" boxes for a new vehicle.

It's a true 4x4 with a center locking differential and switchable low gear transfer case...

It's got an available turbo-diesel engine that gets pretty good efficency...

8,000 lb tow rating...

Lightweight unibody construction that saves 1000lbs from the outgoing LR4...

and a third row that an adult could fit into....

The cons I can think of are that it's ugly, and depreciation/reliability concerns...

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:

No worries. By the next morning whatever parts had not fallen off into the abyss had rusted and blown away as a brown cloud.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
There were guy wires to keep it from flipping or sliding sideways off the stairs but there was no external assist to the drivetrain.

I saw the wires there, but I don't see how they're attached to the vehicle. In one part of the video, all four wheels are off the ground and I still don't see any attachment. Confused

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:

Probably lowered it back down with guy wires and cables.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
I'm completely amazed that it lasted long enough to make it. The Range Rover is THE most unreliable car to set rubber on the road since the development of the motorised vehicle.

I wouldn't have any of them as a gift.

They make running a Ferrari look like a bargain.

tac

Mine was dead nuts reliable for the first 17 years years I owned it, and it would climb a tree with a Jeep in tow. Truth is, both your experience and mine is anecdotal. I fully realize their reputation, and some years and models have better reps than others, but I'd own another, no question.

By the way, you go to a Toyota or Honda dealer and drive around behind the service department, you'll see plenty of broken ones.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
...By the way, you go to a Toyota or Honda dealer and drive around behind the service department, you'll see plenty of broken ones.

Broken down, or in for regular service?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
By the way, you go to a Toyota or Honda dealer and drive around behind the service department, you'll see plenty of broken ones.

Problem with this logic is. The numbers don't even begin to add up.

That was laughable Jigray.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3: Truth is, both your experience and mine is anecdotal.

Truth is, that my experience is fully documented in the unit records of the British Military Mission to the Group of Soviet Forces in Germany [BRIXMIS].

As is every penny spent on them, funded by HQ BAOR and the Berlin Senate funding that bolstered the Allies serving in Berlin during the Cold War.

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post