SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Range Rover Sport - The Dragon Challenge:
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range Rover Sport - The Dragon Challenge: Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
Range Rover's new plug-in hybrid SUV takes on 99 turns and 999 steps to reach China's legendary Heaven's Gate landmark.

https://youtu.be/EahFvrWPgMI

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
That was exhilarating to watch. I can't imagine what it must have been like from the driver's seat.

Posts: 7308 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I'm completely amazed that it lasted long enough to make it. The Range Rover is THE most unreliable car to set rubber on the road since the development of the motorised vehicle.

I wouldn't have any of them as a gift.

They make running a Ferrari look like a bargain.

tac

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's an interesting comment. The guy that owns the garage where I get my cars serviced has owned all sorts of SUV's. Mercedes and Land/Range Rovers included. He says the Range Rover is by far the best SUV he's ever owned.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
How do they make it leak oil?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am on my second Land Rover. Both have been totally reliable!

Posts: 1616 | Location: Simpsonville SC | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:

I bet it will still leak.....just battery acid this time

I owned LR for 8 years....loved everything but the $1000 or so I spent every 3 months on maintenance.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just put a Land Rover badge on it - (or in the past any British model badge Wink

Posts: 915 | Location: SE-PA | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigsuby:
I am on my second Land Rover. Both have been totally reliable!

You are an exception. Even Clarkson on Top Gear tested a new one and the sun roof leaked day 1. They are notoriously bad.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
+1 on how terrible Range Rovers are. Many of my In-Laws used to drive them. Most have figured it out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Posts: 26896 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
So who's driving it back down those stairs in reverse? Big Grin

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Looks like at the end it's perched on the apex of the summit, with none of the wheel touching ground.

Gotta get some coolies to rock the boat a bit.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
I'm completely amazed that it lasted long enough to make it. The Range Rover is THE most unreliable car to set rubber on the road since the development of the motorised vehicle.

I wouldn't have any of them as a gift.

They make running a Ferrari look like a bargain.

tac

When I sold cars for a short while I worked at a Chrysler/Jeep dealership. It was almost amusing how many of our Jeep customers were prior LR owners. It was an inside joke that the guy running the shop over there (their dealership was just across from ours) actually worked for us and sent his people over to us.

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
That's an interesting comment. The guy that owns the garage where I get my cars serviced has owned all sorts of SUV's. Mercedes and Land/Range Rovers included. He says the Range Rover is by far the best SUV he's ever owned.

Wait until he pays $7000 to replace the heater matrix...

We have a Range Rover fixer in a nearby village - his yard and workshop is never empty, and no Range rover is ever allowed to get lonely there. I just drove by and counted eleven awaiting attention.

The average man dealer 'fix' for a Range Rover here in UK, where they are built, remember, is $4853. If anything to do with gearboxes or drives is concerned, double it. Electrics?

Buy a new one.

Rust?

They should rename it the Rust Rover.

Back in the day when we ran them as our tour vehicles in the British Military Mission in East Germany, they cost us an average of [corrected for modern equivalence] $6600 a MONTH to keep on the roads.

We trialled a M-B Gelaendewagen GD300 for a year, racking yp the same mileage, and it needed a windshield-wiper motor.

So we all three missions, BRIXMIS, USMLM and FROGSMIS changed to M-B until we closed the curtains in 1990.

tac

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
quote:

In my adult life, I have owned:
Four Chevys
One Dodge
One Volvo
One Mercury
One Mercedes
One Rover
Twenty-one Audis
Seven Porsches
Eight Land Rovers

I currently own two Land Rovers - one of which has a BMW motor. LR has greatly benefited from the different ownership over the past few years.

From my personal experience, I find your remarks ludicrous. The only thing I half agree with is you avatar. Wink

PS: Don't forget that all British cars in general once suffered from the work of the "Prince of Darkness"

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2273 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redleg2/9:
From my personal experience, I find your remarks ludicrous. The only thing I half agree with is you avatar. Wink

From my personal experience trying to maintain a fleet of eight Range-Rovers 24/7/365, I find your remark offensive.

tac

posted Hide Post
When I was looking for an SUV, I talked to owners of several brands. The Land Rover Defender owner told me that, in bad weather like snow and ice, he parked the LR and drove his Camaro instead, since the Camaro handled better on slick roads.

Anybody who has driven a Camaro on slick roads (typical Chicago winter, for example) understands how ironic it is, that a vehicle sold as being good in bad weather is worse than a Camaro.

We bought an Isuzu Rodeo instead, followed by a couple Jeeps, and were satisfied.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9147 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
I don't have the skill to drive that challenge, but I bet my Subaru Forester with x-mode could do it.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i watched a little bit of it and while the scenery was cool. The vehicle part of it was corny at best.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19161 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is a hybrid so it still has a standard combustion engine.

I always hear how horrible they are.
I find this interesting as the closest dealer is over an hour away. Yet I see tons of them everyday on the road here. Can’t be that bad.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25411 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post